9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2009 8:59 AM by the_wine_snob

Can I export to a 4 audio channels clip?

cooltoon

Hi everyone, that is my question: can I export a four tracks videoclip from Premiere?

The 4 channels should be stereo + stereo

The purpouse is having a clip with two separate languages, both in stereo

Thanks for you help!

• 1. Re: Can I export to a 4 audio channels clip?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes. The best would be to Export as elemental streams for use by your authoring app. You can Mute one set of Audio Tracks with either the Audio Mixer, or from the Audio Track Header. Export as normal to PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit. Now, un-Mute those, and Mute the others. Export your Video as DV-AVI Type II, Video-only (no Audio, no muxing).

Once in your authoring app (Encore?), Import your DV-AVI Video-only file as a Timeline, and your two Audio-only files as Assets. Decide which of your Audio files you want as the primary and drag it to that Timeline. Then drag your secondary Audio file to Track 2 on that same Timeline.

I would do a "language" sub-Menu, and link the two (or more if you had more) Buttons to the respective Timeline, making sure to choose the appropriate Audio Track. The user can then select the Audio for the DVD. Some players also have an Audio button on the remote, and this should allow selection of language.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Can I export to a 4 audio channels clip?
            cooltoon Level 1

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer!

My purpose is not doing a dvd though. I need a video file (quicktime ideally) with 4 audio tracks as 2 separate stereo channels.

cheers!

• 3. Re: Can I export to a 4 audio channels clip?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

The answer is actually no.  You can't do what you want directly from Premiere.  You'd have to use Bill's suggestions to export both stereo pairs separately, and then use some other program to combine them into a single AVI.  I've never done this, so I can't recommend beyond that general work flow.

• 4. Re: Can I export to a 4 audio channels clip?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I've never mixed two languages into a single stereo track, but if I needed to do so, I'd use the Multi-Track function in Audition. From it, you can down-mix and Export any way that you want.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Can I export to a 4 audio channels clip?
                  cooltoon Level 1

Ok thanks, I understand.

I guess I will find my answer in some other forum...

• 6. Re: Can I export to a 4 audio channels clip?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

If Audition does not do it for you, then you might want to look at the freeware program, AUDACITY. I believe that it allows for multi-track Audio compositing. I do not think that SoundBooth offered this, until CS4, but could be wrong - never used it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Can I export to a 4 audio channels clip?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

If all you need is a single stereo stream, you can just place your 4 files onto their respective Audio Track, with a Stereo Master in your Project, and then mix your four sources via the Audio Mixer, adjusting their modulation and balance to suit.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Can I export to a 4 audio channels clip?
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

If all you need is a single stereo stream

He needs two stereo streams, user selectable, within a single AVI.

• 9. Re: Can I export to a 4 audio channels clip?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

That was what I initially thought, hence the suggestion for DVD and a primary language, plus a secondary language. This would provide the necessary interactivity desired.

Then, it appeared that he wished to mix the two languages into one. I was hoping that I was wrong in this thinking, as I could not imagine how it would sound, or didn't want to try to imagine that.

Now, if he wants a single AV file with two different stereo streams, I cannot imagine a way to do this. AV files, in their native state, are not interactive.

Perhaps a Flash distribution with interactivity would be able to handle this? DVD does it perfectly. Flash? A MOV file to be played in any player that I know of, can't think of a one. Flash would be what I would explore.

Hunt, getting more confused as we go.