1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 1, 2009 10:52 AM by acath

Component Copy & Paste

Matt Y.

Say I want to create 10 button components, and label each as I go on, I found out that I am not able to copy and paste the label I created for one button to the others;I am forced to edit each button component by selecting the button and then entering the label value under the properties box. What is interesting for those of us with heavy Illustrator/Photoshop backgrounds is to find out that selecting the Text tool doesn't help either, it is as if the application is treating the label text, and regular text differently. I realize this is the first beta and there are some obvious usability problems, I cannot wait to see the improvements in beta2.

• 1. Re: Component Copy & Paste
          acath Level 4

Hi Matt,

When you copy and paste a component, you get another instance of the same component definition. This means that you can't change how it looks except in certain predefined ways - for a button, you can change the label; for a text input, you can change the text; for a list, you can change the data. In general, reusing the same component only allows you to change the data or "value" of the component. If you want to change other aspects of the appearance, you need to create a new component.

The easiest way to do this is to copy/paste the component, then right click on the duplicate and choose "revert component to artwork", then convert it to a component again. This will create a new component with the same artwork. You can then customize this component by double-clicking it in the usual way.

One thing to watch out for is that when you revert a component to artwork, you only get the currently viewed state of that component - the other states are dropped. This would be fixed if we added a "Duplicate Component" command in the Library panel. Once you get a chance to play with "revert to artwork", let us know if that would be useful to you.

-Adam