6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2009 8:11 AM by John J J

Understanging Viewing Area and time ruler duration

John J J

I have several questions about how the time rulers work.  I have read the documentation and there appears to be a few pieces of information missing.  Since I have been having these issues since Premiere 5.0 (10+ years), I thought it was about time to try and find answers.

1.  What determines the initial "entire duration" of the time rulers when the "viewing area bars" are fully expanded outward?

2. Can the "entire duration" of the time ruler be set manually?

3. Is there a more precise way than using the "viewing area bars" to zoom to fit a sequence in the program monitor?

I'm specifically interested in the Program Monitor Window.  If I have to produce a short one minute clip, using the viewing area bars is quite cumbersome to get the right viewing area and the settings are not saved.  It would also be nice to have zoom controls like the timeline window.

An interesting option would be to link the zoom settings of the time ruler in the current sequence timeline window and the program monitor time ruler.

If anyone has insight into any of these questions, I'd appreciate a response.

Thanks,

JJJ

• 1. Re: Understanging Viewing Area and time ruler duration
          Curt Wrigley Level 4

Pressing \ will make the timelien scale to see all content in one panel.

• 2. Re: Understanging Viewing Area and time ruler duration
            John J J Level 1

Thanks, that is good to know for the timeline, but is there any way to do something similar with the program monitor window?  The slider is kind of a pain to use without that kind of feature.

• 3. Re: Understanging Viewing Area and time ruler duration
              Jim_Simon Level 8

My own thought is why bother with the Program Monitor 'timeline'?  This kind of thing is typically done in the sequence pane.

• 4. Re: Understanging Viewing Area and time ruler duration
                John J J Level 1

Jim,

Your thought is good thinking to me too, in typical situations.  I believe you've also given me a definitive answer to my questions too, and I thank you for that.

(The following is just my commentary for me to vent and not directed at any individual.  It is completely offered as personal opinion.)

I do question why we think that way.  Is it because it makes sense, or because the controls don't work in a way that is conducive to using them?  I'm not one of those people to get into a philosophical discussion as to what I put into the category of personal taste.  (Enough said...)

The thing is that due to reduced eyesight, I use a magnifier to view the screen for precise stuff, and I work with video that has events that I need to locate in the clips to synch timecode and overlaid video/graphics.  After making an edit, I always verify my work in the program monitor window.  It would be much quicker/easier when using the jog/shuttle controls, if I could actually just move the slider in the program monitor window rather than jump down to the timeline when making coarse movements.  I see this as being a potentially useful technique for others too in several ways.

It just appears to me that the shortcomings of the slider in the program monitor window have been ignored for over a decade.  I don't believe the controls work in a way that makes sense, nor do they match the quality of the other controls in Premiere.  Even a simple "size to fit" type button would be greatly appreciated.  On the other hand, just remove the control rather than leave something that nobody wants to use due to usability issues.

Again, maybe this is just me and the way I have settled into using Premiere over the years.

Thanks again,
                JJJ

• 5. Re: Understanging Viewing Area and time ruler duration
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I do question why we think that way.  Is it because it makes sense

Pretty much.

The thing is that due to reduced eyesight, I use a magnifier to view the screen for precise stuff

Perhaps a larger monitor set to lower resolution...

• 6. Re: Understanging Viewing Area and time ruler duration
                    John J J Level 1

Jim,

I understand that what I propose may be the exception, but I still come back to the fact that in my case creating the control with more emphasis on usability would be helpful to me.  I also believe that there are cases where adding some of the features of the timeline controls to the program monitor would be helpful to others.  It's just not a priority for Adobe and probably rightly so.

I do work with a professional 24" monitor, but I find reducing the resolution is counterproductive.  The lost flexibility far exceeds the benefits of any gains.  Whatever the size/resolution, I still need my magnifier, and I find that a 30" doesn’t work for my condition due to the increased movement required for me to see different parts of the whole screen.

I digress.  The whole point was that it appeared that there were some holes in the documentation on how the program monitor window's time ruler worked and/or I misunderstood its function.  There are some holes, and the control works kind of oddly in reference to maximum time.  That's that.

As I said, you answered my question.  That's just the way it is and I can deal with it.

Thanks for your help.

JJJ