9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2009 7:42 PM by Ramón G Castañeda

Just updated camera RAW to 5.4 and now...

Level 4

Just updated camera RAW to 5.4 and now its in Japanese and all my thumbnails are gone in Bridge.

the thumbnail are there to start but disappear to generic. also the 5.4. ACR plugin is a generic icon instead of the regular plugin icon

I'm using a G5 with Tiger.4.11

• 1. Re: Just updated camera RAW to 5.4 and now...
          Greg Barnett Level 2

I had a similar experience when updating to 5.3, the plugin switched to an Asian language... After much fiddling around with searching for broken components (and no answers from Adobe), the only way I got around it was to copy CR from another machine with a good install. It seems that the installer still has issues...

• 2. Re: Just updated camera RAW to 5.4 and now...
            Level 4

Well I just put 5.3 back and its all phucked now too. not sure what the hell they did why can't I just put the new plugin in why do I need an installer?

• 3. Re: Just updated camera RAW to 5.4 and now...
              Jeff Schewe Level 5

Did you have more than one copy of the Camera Raw.plugin in the install location? There is a known issue with the installer where it fails to successfully do a complete install if there are either a renamed Camera Raw.plugin or any plug-ins with the option L (¬) set to disable loading of that plug-in.

At this point about all you can do is try to revert to 5.3 and rerun the 5.4 installer. If that doesn't work you may need to do an uninstall/reinstall.

• 4. Re: Just updated camera RAW to 5.4 and now...
                Greg Barnett Level 2

Jeff,

In my case, I did not have any other versions hanging around. It got to the point where the installer would not run because it said it was already installed. I did a lot of digging around trying to manually remove anything it touched but even that didn’t solve the problem... The only fix that worked for me was to copy it off another machine. 5.4 installed just fine, go figure...

Greg

• 5. Re: Just updated camera RAW to 5.4 and now...
                  Level 4

No I did remove the 5.3 first as I was not expecting a setup. Crap I was not needing an uninstall install right now.

Thanks Jeff, I was beginning to think that was the fix.

• 6. Re: Just updated camera RAW to 5.4 and now...
                    Jeff Schewe Level 5

Buko. wrote:

No I did remove the 5.3 first as I was not expecting a setup.

I got caught in the setup installer as well but in my case, I had test versions of ACR installed back to 5.0 that I loaded/unloaded using the Option L (¬) method so I could relaunch Photoshop and get different versions of ACR for testing...totally screwed up the installer cause it didn't know what to do because of the other stuff in the folder. When you moved the old one out, that's what got the installer screwed up. Like Greg says, if you can get a nice clean complete version of 5.4. II even tried extracting the darn setup file but the package doesn't have a simple "nice" version of the plug-in.

I guess we got spoiled doing all the manual installations of Camera Raw...see what happens? Enough people ask for an installer instead of the manual install and this is what we get. An installer from, uh, way below ground :~(

• 7. Re: Just updated camera RAW to 5.4 and now...
                      Level 4

a reinstall fixed the previews in Bridge and ACR is back in American.

Thanks Jeff

Edit:

Yeah I've been keeping all my plugins too. WHy does everything have to become so difficult. And I must say I find it weird that ACR screws with the display of thumbnails and data in Bridge.

• 8. Re: Just updated camera RAW to 5.4 and now...
                        Ramón G Castañeda Level 4

Buko. wrote:

…And I must say I find it weird that ACR screws with the display of thumbnails and data in Bridge.

Buko,

Remember that Bridge is just a browser.  By itself, it cannot access the raw imagedata in order to build a true thumbnail (as opposed to one built from the embedded JPEG).  ACR is called upon by Bridge to access the raw data in order to build the thumbnails.

• 9. Re: Just updated camera RAW to 5.4 and now...
                          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4

Buko. wrote:

…why can't I just put the new plugin in why do I need an installer?

Probably because of all the clueless souls who come here asking for help because they put the plug-in in the wrong place.

As for the screw-up, remember that "customs hooks" file we found all of a sudden and some of us were too quick to delete?  Fortunately I was able to restore it from my backup.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1210594#1210594

steve guilhamet wrote:

The CustomHooks.dylib file is useful and not something to be trashed outright. It is not a file needed for the functioning of the CR plug-in but is needed for uninstalling operations, not limited to beta RC usage.

David F. was communicating a misunderstanding. The location of the file in the application directory is a bug (so that instance can be deleted), but the file when installed to the correct location should not be deleted. The CR installers have had bugs on where this file is placed in the past.

The CR 5.3 update should be putting this file in the correct location (buried in a non-user facing location) . Depending upon your installed applications, this file will keep other necessary files from being removed when one of many applications is uninstalled. If the uninstalled application is solely resident, then this file should also be removed on uninstallation.

Hopefully this clears up some confusion.