If the Project files are on the C:\ drives on each machine, and the Assets are on D:\ on the old machine, when you Open your Project on the second, you should get a message saying that PE cannot locate file ______. You should be able to navigate to the location that the Assests are now stored, and PE will re-link to those files. If you have an involved folder structure, you may have to navigate to each sub-folder, but things should go well. Once linked, I would definitely do a Save_As, using maybe an incremented file name.
Hunt - thanks. To clairfy
1) the Adobe Premier Elements program is loaded on both C drives
2) on the computer on which I created the project, the PREL file and the data files are in one directory on D drive
3) when I transfer that D drive directory to my laptop (C drive) I have the problem
4) given what you have said - maybe I should remove the PREL file to another directory on my laptop?
Actually, the location of the PREL should not have any bearing on it. That file is an XML database only. It points to where PE last saw the Assets, and gives instructions on what is done with those Assets.
So long as the Assets are ON the second computer, with a bit of help from you, PE should be able to find them, link to them and then display them once linked.
When Assets have been moved from where PE last saw them, and thinks they'er still located, is SHOULD ask for them, when you Open the Project (PREL). Is this not happening? Do you not get a dialog screen asking for the Assets?
If so, then something is wrong.
If you are not getting that dialog, then I would Open up the .PREL file in WordPad, and do a Search & Replace for all instances of "D:\" with "C:\" leaving the folder structures alone. IMPORTANT: once done, do a Save_As and use another name. Depending on how exact your new folder structure is, compared to how things were set up on the other computer with the D:\, you should not have any problems. If the folder structure (Path) has changed from what it was on your old D:\, you may still have to do a bit of navigation, to help PE link to the proper files.
One caveat: an ideal editing machine will have 3, or more physical HDD's. Two is about the minimum that I would recommend. If one only has a single physical (partitions do not count, and are counter-productive) HDD, then things can really slow down, and problems can easily develop. With video editing, more physical HDD's and proper allocation, are very useful.
Good luck, and please let us know how it goes.
Thanks Hunt - I am at work now (New Zealand time). Will try this out tonight and let you know. Again, many thanks. Tony
Hunt - not successful. I did as you suggested - however it is not picking up the rendered files or an audio file used. I am not too concerned about this from the point of view I am using my laptop to learn on where as my desktop is where I do the "real thing".
One point - you mentioned 3 disk drives. I am using two but when I do upgrade it will be something to consider. Would you mind elaborating re the logicc of having 3 hard-drives?
On the HDD discussion, I think that this ARTICLE will say it better than I can.
As for the "missing" Audio file, I'd just re-Import it, and physically replace the "missing" one in the Timeline. If you have done a bunch of editing to it, you might find that it is worthwhile going back into WordPad and locating every instance of that file in your PREL file, making sure that it is referenced on the current drive and location.
Other than the tme to do it again, the Render files can be easily replaced. If you notice, their file names are a long, cryptic string of seemingly random characters. They only allow for the Timeline to play smoothly. PrPro can use them for certain Export types, but I do not believe that PE uses them for anything except for the preview. Rather than tryping to re-establish the links to all of these old Render files, I'd just delete them and back in PE, with focus on the Timeline, hit Enter, and then get a cup of coffee.
I do similar to you, in that I work on Projects on the laptop and then finish on the workstation. I use 2TB Maxtor externals connected to each via FW-800 and a copy of all Assets, the Project and Scratch Disks are all on the external. This is not the fastest layout of files, but works fine, even on big SD Projects. Each external has the same unique drive letter assigned to it in the OS of each computer. I tried this some time back with USB and then FW-400's and found those to be far too slow for me, plus the USB's were prone to problems, mainly with their slow speed in read/write. They were 7200RPM drives, but the connection was the bottleneck.