15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2009 8:47 AM by the_wine_snob

Automatic Fade In/Fade Out for all clips

MagicAnthony

In premiere elements, there is a one click button for fading in and fading out (separate buttons for each, and separate for audio and video).  I have not found a simple way to do this in premiere pro.

In premiere elements I usually edit a single 2 hour clip of short dance productions.  I get to the beginning and end of each dance on the timeline and split the clip, making individual clips for each dance.  For each clip I hit the 4 little automatic buttons (as I go along) and it automatically makes each clip independently fade in and fade out audio and video, for the same duration regardless of the duration of each clip.  The clips do not cross dissolve.  One fades out then the other fades in.  Is there a simple way to do this in premiere Pro?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Automatic Fade In/Fade Out for all clips
          Jim_Simon Level 8

You can use the keyboard shortcuts to add default video and audio transitions.  The manual or Help file should have details.

You will need some space between the clips, or they will end up as a dissolve, and not a fade.

• 2. Re: Automatic Fade In/Fade Out for all clips
            MagicAnthony Level 1

Thank you so much.  Leaving the space between clips is what was causing my problem.  I didn't know how to stop getter a cross dissolve and to just get a fade out.

Thanks !

• 3. Re: Automatic Fade In/Fade Out for all clips
              SFL46 Level 3

Although there is a way to do what you're asking, the bigger question is why do you want to apply it to every clip.  With effects and transitions, less is usually more.  Look closely at a broadcast TV program--you will see few transistions between scenes--they are almost always simple cuts.

• 4. Re: Automatic Fade In/Fade Out for all clips
                MagicAnthony Level 1

I agree with you for movies and short films.  But I am editing a live dance program.  Each dance number is faded in and out to cut out people coming on and off stage to get ready for the dance and to separate each dance number.  It works well for this kind of DVD.

• 5. Re: Automatic Fade In/Fade Out for all clips
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

For the use that you specify, I'd look into using the Dip-to-Black, for the Video, as it connotes a slightly longer passage of time to the audience, even if it's the same exact Duration as a Cross-Dissolve. I would also think that it would help your audience distinguish that this was going to be a different dancer. As Jim points out, you can set the Default Transitions that you want, and Ctrl-d. I use the PageUp and PageDn keys to step to the next Clip, then just hit Ctrl-D. It's fast, when you get the hang of it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Automatic Fade In/Fade Out for all clips
                    MagicAnthony Level 1

Thanks, I'll give that transition a try.

• 7. Re: Automatic Fade In/Fade Out for all clips
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck, and please report your success.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Automatic Fade In/Fade Out for all clips
                        MagicAnthony Level 1

I tried cross dissolve and dip to black.  I didn't really notice much difference but I think dip to black did seem a little more gradual so I'll probably use that.

And yes it's pretty easy now.  I get to a point a little before the beginning of the dance and hit CTRL-K to cut the clip.  Then drag the laft to the point I want to start.  Do the same with the end of the clip, and drag the right side to where I want to end.  This leaves space between other clips (which is what I need so cross dissolve doesn't affect the next clip).  Then I use page up and page down to get to beginning and end and hit CTRL-D and CTRL-SHIFT-D at each end to apply my fade in and fade out for audio and video.  Then I click on each blank space between clips and hit ALT-BACKPACE to do a ripple delete.  It's pretty fast once I get going and gives me the same results I got with premiere elements with about the same number of steps.

Thanks guys.

• 9. Re: Automatic Fade In/Fade Out for all clips
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Just make sure that you do not leave any gaps in your Video. These can really mess up Export.

If you are doing the Dip-to-Black, one little trick that you might want to think about would be to create a new Video Track below your current Video Tracks. From the Project Panel, choose the New icon at the bottom and choose Black Video. Drag that to your new LOWER Video Track, and expand it for the full Duration of the Timeline. This will provide Video for the full Duration with no gaps in the Timeline. Your Video will be shown exactly like it is now(unlike placing the Black Video on an UPPER Video Track).

I always run the PageUp/PageDn to check for any gaps, before I Export.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Automatic Fade In/Fade Out for all clips
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

Just make sure that you do not leave any gaps in your Video. These can really mess up Export.

I routinely leave gaps in my Deleted Scenes sequence without issue.

• 11. Re: Automatic Fade In/Fade Out for all clips
                              MagicAnthony Level 1

Yes I'm careful to check for gaps in the video.  But that's a good tip to put a black video below my main video track for the entire duration to ensure no empty gaps.

Thanks.

• 12. Re: Automatic Fade In/Fade Out for all clips
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Sometimes they do not cause an issue. Sometimes a single one-frame gap in the Video portion of the Timeline will kill an Export, and often with a "failure to return video frame error message." In most of those cases, the removal of the gap allows the Timeline to Export perfectly.

Had a Project where the previous editor had left over 900+ gaps in an 8 hour, 4 Sequence Project. The Project had Exported, because I got the DVD's to prove it. Still, based on the number of incidents where even that single frame gap killed a Project, I removed them all. Why all 900+ caused no problem in that Project, and why a single-frame gap kills an Export is not something that I can answer. If it works for you, then I hope that it always will.

It's kind of like replacing Assets in Encore, with different Assets bearing the same name. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. If this works for some, I again hope that it always will.

I'd just rather that someone eliminate the gaps, rather than come back, because they keep getting "failure to return video frame."

I'm just one of those people, who wants my workflow to be as close to bullet-proof, as is possible.

Hunt

• 13. Re: Automatic Fade In/Fade Out for all clips
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                  based on the number of incidents where even that single frame gap killed a Project

I guess I question that as the real source of the issue.

• 14. Re: Automatic Fade In/Fade Out for all clips
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

In the case of my research, it has been the issue. I've Imported several of these failing Projects for others. Got the same error, as they did. Found a gap in each Project's Timeline (often almost exactly where the error indicated in the Export), eliminated the gap and all was good. When I shipped the Project file back to them, they worked perfectly on their system with the same Assets, and no other change on my part. I'd guess that I've done this for a half-dozen Projects. There have been many more, where the operator found the gap, removed it, and all was fine. That has been enough to convince me that there can be a problem with the gaps.

Still, that one Project that I referenced up-thread had 900+ with no problems. That Project had many Keyframed still, but also had MOV and AVI files, plus a ton of Titles. I do not recall if any of these gaps was between any of the motion Assets, or if they were 100% between the stills. The location of these could be the issue. In the above mentioned tests, all were between motion Assets, IIRC.

So long as they do not cause an Export issue for a Project, it would certainly save time by not bothering with them Then, if an Export fails, the operator would at least have some idea of what to look for, and maybe the error message will give them a clue as to where to look.

Hunt

• 15. Re: Automatic Fade In/Fade Out for all clips
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

Could you look in on this THREAD. The poster is having issues with a Sony EX camera's footage. I seem to recall both you and Harm discussing the footage from that camera and how best to handle it. To compound the problem, the Capture was done on a Mac, and the OP is on a PC, so there are some issues with the external HDD that was used to transfer the media. I've tried to find those discussions, that you figured into, and also for Harm, but am drawing a blank.

The thread got broken, when the OP could not access, or post to the original.

Thanks,

Hunt