5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2009 8:14 AM by theone84

Multiple artboard origin setting CS4 Illustrator

JonnyCampbell

Has anyone worked out if it's possible to set the artboard measurement origin as top right rather than centered when using multiple artboards? I'm using 3 artboards that are all different sizes and it would be really useful to be able to set the a relative 'benchmark' measurement point for all three with their top edges all aligned exactly. It's a packaging job and accuracy is important....

• 1. Re: Multiple artboard origin setting CS4 Illustrator
          [scott] Level 6

Sorry, I don't believe there is a way to reset the artboard rulers origin.

• 2. Re: Multiple artboard origin setting CS4 Illustrator
            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I think he just wants to reset the origin of the ruers so that 0 is at the top  and zero is at the left most edge of the first document.

At the top of the ruler in the left hand corner there is a square formed where rulers meet drag that first to the horizontal position you want and then the vertical position now both zeros are at the top edge. The art board cane be repositioned in either the artboard options dialog or with the art board tool.

Then each artboard has its own set of rulers View>Show artboard rulers.

It would be nice if the user could define the rues they wish for the way the rulers worked, a much need tool and long over due feature.

I thin what I describe above is the best you can do except for creating a script or perhaps something drastic like altering the preferences which probably can be done but what consequences that might offer I do not know. And you have to know where to look and what to change.

A script might be better if workable.

I mention the preferences thing so Scott might venture a peak, I much rather he did it than me.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Multiple artboard origin setting CS4 Illustrator
              [scott] Level 6

artboard measurement origin as top right

The individual artboard ruler origin cannot be changed. The global rulers origin can.

• 4. Re: Multiple artboard origin setting CS4 Illustrator
                JonnyCampbell Level 1

Thanks for your feedback, I'm loving the individual artboard rulers. Let me explain the artboard set-up issue that I have in actual terms. Lets say I have a letterhead (210 x 297mm)  with a logo top right that I want to duplicate onto another artboard to the immediate right and then reduce the depth of that artboard to a third (99mm) to make a compliments slip. I want to specify the x axis as the reference point (0 mm) so that the top edges stay aligned when I reduce the size of the second artboard to make the comp slip so that I don't need to reposition the logo. As it stands, when I reduce the duplicate artboard depth it does so from the centre ref point by default, can I change this in the same way as I can change the origin in the Transform function?

• 5. Re: Multiple artboard origin setting CS4 Illustrator
                  theone84

Jonny,

To try answering your question, you may create individual origins for each artboard, however you will have to reset them each time you switch between them. When showing your rulers, drag from the intersect of the rulers to the intersect (the top left corner) of your desired artboard (it will highlight "intersect" on that point). This will give you the origin for that artboard and you can work setting up your need margins and such from there. When you want to move to another arboard just do the same thing, dragging the intersect of the rulers to the intersect of the next artboard.

However, I do not think it is possible to save individual artboard origins. And showing the arboard rulers does help as well.

I hope this helps answer your question.