6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2009 9:56 AM by Harm Millaard

Best settings and configuration for shared storage - media cache and conformed audio

digitlman Level 1

We have 8 machines with CS4 master collection and Matrox Axio LE cards running on 4Gbit FC with 30TB running Metasan software.

What is the best way to have this setup to run the fastest possible. I really need to understand how the media cache database works with this configuration.

We currently have the media cache on a local hard drive on each machine with the "save next to original" box checked on each machine.

Is it possible to have it set to a fibre drive that every machine sees and share the database all at the same time or would that mess things up badly?

I would really like to avoid all of this completely if i had my choice. I really hate all the audio conforming stuff, it is a real pain. 99.9999% of everything we have done or ever will do is 16bit/48khz stereo audio. maybe once a year someone might give us an mp3 or something to put in a project. i would prefer if premiere would drop that all together as our 8 core machines should not have any problem playing back any audio files needed.

Why is it i make a project with 16/48 audio setting and import a 16/48 audio track it still conforms it?  In our axio settings i check the box that says dont create cfa files. and i check the one to create .pek but it still conforms it.

I even took some files from our fibre the other day, i copied the .avi, .cfa, .pek files over to a local hard drive and imported the .avi into a project and then i had to wait for premiere to conform the audio??

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Best settings and configuration for shared storage - media cache and conformed audio
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Why is it i make a project with 16/48 audio setting and import a 16/48 audio track it still conforms it?

Because Premiere actually edits with 32 bit floating-point 'copies' of the original audio file.

• 2. Re: Best settings and configuration for shared storage - media cache and conformed audio
            Eddie Lotter Level 4

You will find several links to documents that describe how to optimize your workstation here.

Cheers
            Eddie

• 3. Re: Best settings and configuration for shared storage - media cache and conformed audio
              digitlman Level 1

I could not find anything usefull on that site. I am specifically looking for information in regards to using the adobe suite with shared fibrechannel storage and understanding the best way to deal with media cache and the database with multiple machines accessing the same data. it seems to try to re-conform audio all the time that already has a conformed file.

• 4. Re: Best settings and configuration for shared storage - media cache and conformed audio
                Harm Millaard Level 7

First of all, realize that PR is NOT network suitable. It does not mean you can not use network drives, it means that you cannot have two editors working on the same project effectively. The only way to make that work is to have one editor do his work, save and close the project on a shared volume and only then can a second editor do his work on the project. For that to work, the project file must be on the server with limited access rights, your media cache must be local, and you media on shared volumes on the network. That may mean rerendering on the second station.

It seems rather convoluted to set it up, change access rights and the like, when it is easier for Editor 1 to just call out to his colleague, "hey, Number 2, I'm done for the day. It's your turn now and let's change seats". If the editors then change workstations, you have no possibility of foul-ups.

• 5. Re: Best settings and configuration for shared storage - media cache and conformed audio
                  digitlman Level 1

Yes i understand that and we will never be loading the same project on 2 machines at the same time, nor do we want to. However we want to be able to use the same content on 2 editors at the same time. someone could be working on the main project and then someone else could be using some of the same material to create open/close/bump and then add them together when they are done. All our editors are set to save conformed next to originals. but the problem is you deal with each machine have a different "database" tracking what files are where and even though there is a .cfa file already there it seems that premiere wants to re-conform and write a new one when the same avi file is loaded on another machine?

• 6. Re: Best settings and configuration for shared storage - media cache and conformed audio
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

This situation has probably never been foreseen at Adobe and I suspect that the XML info used in the project file is updated when saved. When the next editor opens the same project, there is likely a difference between the pointers in the project file and the XML info causing this behaviour. I don't know the intricacies of the XML info and pointers in the project file, but consider this situation:

You bring your car to your dealer for maintenance and a repair. At the reception desk the mileage on your car is noted and entered into the database. Now mechanic 1 performs his tasks and takes your car out for a test ride. Everything OK so far. Now mechanic 2 has to do his job on the same car, but the mileage on this car no longer coincides with the data in the database, due to the test ride, so he has to check. If mechanic 1 had continued to do the second job, this would not have happened.

I think that is where the problem is, but Adobe has probably never foreseen that. You may try to have all data, directories and scratch disk at the exact same location on the network and avoid different editors to have their own copy of the project files. But, Adobe uses the local C disk for temp storage, with God knows what kind of relevant info, so editor 1 may need to copy his Adobe temp file to the server and editor 2 may need to copy this directory to his local C drive before opening the project. It is worth a try, but I still think just changing workstations is the easiest way.

When editor 1 is working on the project, and editor 2 is working on "open/close/bump" (what does that mean???) he can not be modifying the original content and needs to save it elsewhere. Otherwise editor 1 would be working with outdated material.