13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2009 10:00 AM by the_wine_snob

Need help with effects please

Rich_P7 Level 1

Hi I made a nice wavy effect on the text title I made for a music video. The title stays for the duration of the song. At the moment however it stops waving about halfway through the song. I am not sure why this is happening can anyone help? Thank you

• 1. Re: Need help with effects please
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Rich,

Please step us through how you created the Effect.

It is most likely that you did the Effect (or combo of Effects) when the Duration of the Title was shorter, and then lengthened. If that is the case, you most likely have Keyframes where the Clip ended before, and they set things back to default. You should be able to move those Keyframes to the current end of the Clip, to have the Effects continue, but there could be something else in the exact Effects that you used, hence my first question. Probably just a matter of dragging some Keyframes around.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Need help with effects please
            Rich_P7 Level 1

Thanks for the help. I may have done that, but I don't remember. Would you mind telling me how I can locate the keyframes and move them. I have found the section where the effect stops (on the timeline) but don't know how to find the 'keyframe'. I have never worked explicity with keyframes before, so appreciate any help. Thank you.

• 3. Re: Need help with effects please
              the_wine_snob Level 9

From the PE4 Help file:

Display and edit keyframes

You can view and edit keyframes in the Properties view of the Tasks panel. The Properties view displays all effect properties, keyframes, and interpolation methods at once, but only for a single selected clip. The Timeline can display the keyframes for multiple clips at once, but can display only one property per clip.

To access the Properties view for effects, click Edit in the Tasks panel, click the Effects button to open Effect view, and then click the Edit Effects button at the bottom of the panel. In general, use the Properties view for these tasks:
              • Make detailed changes to multiple keyframe values.

• Edit the keyframes of effects that have multiple or two‑dimensional values, such as Motion or Perspective.

• Edit keyframes while using the Sceneline.

In general, use the Timeline for these tasks:
              • Quickly view and adjust keyframes for a single effect.

• Edit the keyframes of effects that have a single, one‑dimensional value, such as Opacity or Volume.

What the Keyframe editing panel looks like:

Keyframes_PE.jpg

Steve Grisetti has also done a series of Keyframe tutorials, that are posted on Muvipix. I highly recommend these.

Remember that these Keyframes will be attached to the Clip (same for a Title). In the case of a Title, or where In & Out Points have been set, and the Duration has been later altered, they will be in the spot they were placed in, and might have to be moved to accommodate the new Duration.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Need help with effects please
                Rich_P7 Level 1

Thank you Hunt. I got the view up that shows the keyframes - and because it was a wave - it had about 4-5 markers. They were all at the point where the wave stopped moving. I selected them all with a lasso and moved them to the end of the movie. However the effect still stops halfway through.

I did actually start again and added the effect to the titles when they were at the full length, but the effect still stops halfway through. Not sure whats going on

• 5. Re: Need help with effects please
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Maybe do a screen-cap and also list the settings of the various Keyframes that you use in each Effect. I would still think that there is a keyframe, maybe a Bypass at that point.

If you re-did the animation on the Title, did you set all new Keyframes? I have a habit of placing a starting Keyframe at the very beginning, even if nothing will happen until down the Timeline. I also place one at the very end of the Clip, even if the animation has ended with the Keyframe before. This is redundancy, but basically gives me a hold for the first Effect, and for the Last Effect, or Keyframe control.

Why not outline the Duration of the Title, each Effect used, and the values of each Keyframe? I'll be glad to build the animation and test it here.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Need help with effects please
                    Rich_P7 Level 1

I will have a go at that, but I was wondering maybe I am creating the effect wrong. What I did was I dragged the Wave effect onto the title segment. I just tried again and it stops halfway again. Should it be doing this?

• 7. Re: Need help with effects please
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I just applied Wave Warp Effect to a Title in PE. It ran for the full Duration of the Title. I extended that Duration to 45 sec. and the Effect was applied to the total Duration.

Is there any possibility that you might have "cut" your Title - slip of the Scissors Tool? That would about the only way that I can see what you describe happening. You don't have two instances of the same Title on the Timeline do you? When you Select the Clip (the Title), does the line turn purple (default) above the entire Clip, or only part of it?

I've forgotten, was this a Title created in PE's Titler, or maybe in PSE/PS?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Need help with effects please
                        Rich_P7 Level 1

No it was created inside PE using the add text option. I think it is purple all along it - I am colorblind a bit. It is definitely not split. I just made a new title and the same thing happened. It is only on longer durations. Would you mind trying on a 5-6 minutes length clip? Thank you. Mine lasts for a few minutes before stopping. It happened on one I made which was only aminute to start with - when I extended it to a minute - the effect also went the full length but it did stop (again) on longer lengths. Thanks for the help.

• 9. Re: Need help with effects please
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I see what you mean. I did an 00;08;00;00 Title and applied Wave Warp. At 00;02;08;00 it stopped "warping."

At that point, I did a Ctrl-k to cut the Title at the CTI. I removed the Wave Warp Effect and then reapplied it to the next part of the Title. I could not tell where one stopped and the other began. If you can see any sort of "break" in the warping, you might want to do a Cross-Dissolve on the cut. If you need to, you might have to repeat this process to get the Duration that you are looking for.

Once you get to the point where it stops for you, use the left/right cursor keys to get to the first frame where the Effect stops, and cut there.

I've never seen this before, but then have never added this Effect to anything more than about 20 sec. in Duration - it just seems to run out of gas and stops. Interesting.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Need help with effects please
                            Rich_P7 Level 1

Thanks for all the help Hunt I did what you said and it worked very nicely. I wonder if any other effects run off of steam too. It was a bit annoying cos I thought I was doing something wrong, but I am pleased now it is working. Thanks again

Rich

• 11. Re: Need help with effects please
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

It appears that you were doing it right, but just ran up against a limitation. As I have never added anything similar to such a long Duration Clip, I would not know if other Effects had a similar limitation.

Now, with Effects like Highlight & Shadow, Levels, various color corrections, Crop, etc., I have never had an issue, regarding Duration. I'll poke around and see if any of the other "animation" Effects exhibit this behavior. Maybe, but maybe not.

Good luck, and glad that you got your "wave" for the full Duration. I learned something from your thread. Thanks.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Need help with effects please
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

I just did a test on several other Effects. I noticed that with a couple of animated Effects, like Bend and Ripple would stop, when there was no Clip in VT 1. My test Project had short Video on VT1, and the test Title on VT2. I'll set up a test with at least 5 mins. of Video on VT 1 and the same Duration for a Title on VT2. Will report when the tests are done.

Hunt

• 13. Re: Need help with effects please
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Most tests done: with 8 mins. of Title (VT2) and 8 mins. of Video (VT1), Wave Warp seems to be the one that stops at ~ 00;02;01;00. The rest continue to work, so long as there is material below on VT1. I tested with most of the animated Effects in PE.

Out of curiosity, I'll do the same test in PrPro, and use Effects that are as similar, as I can get.

Hunt