3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2009 5:43 AM by Peter Grainge

Search Pane Defaults

robm44

Does anyone know if it is possible in RoboHelp 8 to make changes to the search pane so that is displays different defaults when opened? I want to know as i am wondering if i can change the default number of search results from 10 to a different number and potentially move the location of the highlight search results box?

I'm guessing that to do such a thing will involve playing about with the code in the generated web files but hoping someone may be able to point me to which files need changes or if there is an easier way to do this.

For the record i am generating webhelp using RoboHelp 8.

• 1. Re: Search Pane Defaults
          rwrich21 Level 1

I have the same question as you do and hopefully someone will answer it.

• 2. Re: Search Pane Defaults
            karimc

I did find a solution to part of this in a different discussion thread. According to "Kate":

"I've managed to do this by editing the following line in the whform.js file in the Webhelp output folder:

var gnMaxRslt = 10;

It's a bit of a pain to do this every time I compile, so if anyone knows how to achieve the same result without reverse engineering I'd love to hear from you.

Also I edited whfhost.js so that the Rank column in the search results doesn't take up 50% of the space and it looks a lot better."

It doesn't include more details that that, and I'm afraid I didn't write down the discussion thread name. I tried the first part and found that you can change it as long as it is only two characters (I changed mine to 99). I haven't gotten the second part to work - she didn't specify which part of the file you have to edit and I don't know Javascript. I'm playing around with it now, though, and have been able to change "Rank" to "Relevance" in the search results.

Kari

• 3. Re: Search Pane Defaults
              Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional

You could edit it in the original file in Program Files but do make a backup first.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips