5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2009 8:34 AM by heathrowe

How to create a fill in Fireworks CS4

pup500 Level 1

I'm coming from Photoshop, where I can select an area and press ALT+Backspace to fill the area with the foreground color and CTRL+Backspace to fill w/ background color. I've found this to work in FW with ALT+Backspace (I don't know how) and using the paint bucket, of course. I really want to select an area and fill it with foreground or background color via a keyboard shortcut. I can't find "fill" anywhere in the menu, so I can't find it in my keyboard shorcuts preferences.

So...

A) How can I fill foreground/background w/ keyboard?

B) How can I customize the shortcuts?

• 1. Re: How to create a fill in Fireworks CS4
          Panos Zygopoulos Level 3

Hi

Unfortunately, i'm not a photogragher or an artistic designer so i don't use photoshop. I'm just a Fireworks guy .

There are no such things as foreground or background color in fireworks. You've got only fill color.

To find "fill", first you have to draw a vector, for example a rectangle. Then you'll see it at the properties panel. If you want to add more colors to it, from the properties panel, go to filters > adjust color > color fill,  or  filters > photoshop live effects (can also apply them on bitmaps) > color overlay.

The keyboard shortcuts are at  edit > keyboard shortcuts.  (that's easy if you use photoshop )

• 2. Re: How to create a fill in Fireworks CS4
            pup500 Level 1

Actually, the stroke color is what I was confusing for "foreground" color. And it does work similarly to Photoshop's "foreground" color for quickly switching colors (pressing "x" works w/ "Web Standard" keyboard shorcut settings).

I know where the keyboard shortcuts are, but I can't find the "color fill" keyboard shortcut. Are you using CS4?--because I don't have "color fill" in my "filters > adjust color" menu.

So...

who knows where I can find "color fill" in the menu?

• 3. Re: How to create a fill in Fireworks CS4
              heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

The thing to remember is the difference between Filling a Selection and Filling an object (Vector) in Fw:

As you discovered, there is no native 'Fill' command in Fw, as there is in Ps. however:

Filling a Selection: Alt/Option + Backspace will Fill a Selection with the current Fill Color

Other notables:

X key is the same as in Ps as well - Swaps Fill and Stroke Colors

D key resets Stroke to Black/Fill to White (the default)

Space Key + Backspace/ Backspace/ or Delete keys (on an active Selection) will delete the color selected/beneath it.

There's a free Stroke/Fill Command available from John Dunning

http://johndunning.com/fireworks/about/FillAndStroke

• 4. Re: How to create a fill in Fireworks CS4
                pup500 Level 1

Space Key + Backspace

...I don't understand how this is different than "Delete". In my History, the step just says "Delete".

?

But, the "D" key rocks!

And John Dunnings extension rocks!

Thanks, again, heathrowe

• 5. Re: How to create a fill in Fireworks CS4
                  heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

They are one and the same end result. Thats why I posted all three on the same line.

Not sure if it's an oversight in the shortcut list, but at least that leaves two of the three to reuse for something else if you choose to.

Glad to help

h