17 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2010 3:13 PM by Matt Petersen

On Location on laptop?

jon_edit

Recently downloaded and installed CS4 on my desktop workstation. I would like to use On Location on my laptop to capture

video. Is there a way to install only On Location to an additional computer? If so, are there any problems with

running more than one copy of On Location from a license point of view?

Thanks for any advice.

• 1. Re: On Location on laptop?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

The EULA spells it all out. Read it.

• 2. Re: On Location on laptop?
            IngZimmerman

Isn't this a non-answer.

• 3. Re: On Location on laptop?
              pebalsamo Level 2

You can install On Location on your laptop without issue...  As a matter of fact you can install it on several computers without issue.

Phil

• 4. Re: On Location on laptop?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

No, it is more accurate than any answer here, unless you copy the whole EULA here.

• 5. Re: On Location on laptop?
                  IngZimmerman Level 1

Thanks Phil that is more like an anwer.

Are you using On location yourself.

I am thinking of using it but I don't know how to install it on my laptop, I have the downloaded version of CS4.

Still I have the firewire issue to resolve on the laptop also, I don't have on but apparently there is a guizmo available to use firewire with USB I will have to investigate.

Thanks Phil.

Ing

• 6. Re: On Location on laptop?
                    IngZimmerman Level 1

Yes maybe Harm the EULA contains everything. But it would have much more help if you  would have directed the reader to EULA via a link.

Myself I have the downloaded version of CS4 and most of us never read those things, just like the readme files.

Cordialy.

Ing.

• 7. Re: On Location on laptop?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

If you have a PCMCIA, or ExpressCard slot, you can get a FW-400 card for it. Check the BIOS of your laptop's MoBo to make sure that it can handle IEEE-1394. Also, in the field, these can be a bit fragile and do protrude a bit from the case - exercise care.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: On Location on laptop?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

In general terms, the EULA allows for the installation of the Adobe programs on two personal computers, but not run at the same time. Do not know if On-Location differs from the norm, but would assume that it does not.

Do not know installing from a download, as I have never done that - I want my media. With bundles and suites, one normally has the option to install individual programs in the suite. With media, there is a menu of what to Install, or Repair Install. Unless someone has specific knowledge of the download version, it might be something that you'll have to launch and navigate around. Sorry that I have not used any download of a bundle, or suite.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: On Location on laptop?
                          pebalsamo Level 2

On Location does allow for installation on as many computers as you would like.

Here is a link to the EULA's but I cannot seem to get any of them to open...

http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/

I do not think that On Location would work with the Firewire to USB adapter.  I agree that your best option if you do not have firewire in your computer right now would be to get the express card firewire.

Phil

• 10. Re: On Location on laptop?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Phil,

Not sure that On-Location is any different from other Adobe programs:

2.4 Portable or Home Computer Use. Subject to the important restrictions set forth in Section 2.5, the

primary user of the Computer on which the Software is installed under Section 2.1 (“Primary User”) may

install a second copy of the Software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable Computer or a

Computer located at his or her home, provided that the Software on the portable or home Computer is not

used at the same time as the Software on the primary Computer. You may be required to contact Adobe in

order to make a second copy.

2.5 Restrictions on Secondary Use by Volume Licensees. If the Software was obtained under an Adobe

volume license program (currently known as Adobe Open Options) by any licensee other than an

educational volume licensee, the second copy of the Software made under Section 2.4 must be used solely

for the benefit and business of that volume licensee. For more information about secondary use by volume

licensees, please visit our website at http://www.adobe.com/go/open_options.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: On Location on laptop?
                              pebalsamo Level 2

Bill, I will see if I can find it, but I think that it was in this forum that an Adobe Rep talked about thisand said that there is no issue with using the same install of OL on many computers at the same time.  I will see what I can turn up....

Phil

• 12. Re: On Location on laptop?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Phil,

That would be appreciated. I do not recall such, but have not frequented the On-Location forum. There might be some allowances made for this program, but I have just not heard of them. The quoted text above is from the On-Location EULA.

Good luck with the search,

Hunt

• 13. Re: On Location on laptop?
                                  pebalsamo Level 2

Man the search funtion of this forum stinks....

Do you happen to know if there is a way to view all threads that you have replied to, and not just the ones that you have started?  I am pretty sure that I had put a response in that particular thread, but I am not sure.  I tried finding it just through the normal search and can't seem to come across it yet.  I will continue to look though.  I remember that conversation because we had just upgraded to CS4 from CS3, and I was curious about it since Premiere may be open and running at my office and I could be out using my laptop with OL.  I am pretty sure that it was an abobe rep that said that even though it is part of the package and that package can be installed on 2 computers, but only one run at a time, that for OL they removed any restrictions...

I will post back if I can find it...  I do have to get some work done today though so I may have to suspend my search for a little while.

Phil

• 14. Re: On Location on laptop?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Phil,

I am with you on the Search function, and usually rely on Google's Advanced Search. Now, you can go to your Profile and can access most recent replies. Seems that there is a link to show ALL of your replies, but can't recall exactly where that is - one list is somewhat abbreviated and time/date sorted for X posts. The other is fairly complete, but getting to it was not 100% intuitive.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: On Location on laptop?
                                      IngZimmerman Level 1

Hi again

Any of you guys know how to install OL on a laptop? I have the downloaded version of CS4.

Thanks

Ing.

• 16. Re: On Location on laptop?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

RE: Installation of only the On-Location program from a download - I mentioned my only idea in reply 8. Does that not work for you?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: On Location on laptop?
                                          Matt Petersen Level 3

Kick off the normal Suite installation file, but choose CUSTOM INSTALLATION when you get the chance. Untick everything except OnLocation.

I would be astounded if OL worked with a FW to USB 2.0 adapter, and I certainly don't think you'll get any remote features like auto record triggering.

Go for the PMCIA or Express card slot option.

MP