5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2009 12:28 AM by Mylenium

How to: multiple screens, zoom out to form a word or an object

ArkaPro

Hey all,

I'm working on a project and I want to create a multiple flashing screens that zoom out and form an object or a word.

Well here is an example - check out the "TED" logo (right at the beginning of the clip).
      http://www.ted.com/talks/amy_tan_on_creativity.html

I want to achieve that.

I'm sure its very popular effect - if some1 knows a nice tutorial it would be the best.

if not - I'll be happy to get some guidance to best approach it.
      Since I'm going to use this concept a lot in my current project!

Thank you all!

-----------------------------------------------------------

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
      ADOBE MASTER COLLECTION CS4
      Win Vista Ultimate 64bit
      RAM: 4GB (Corsair 800Mhz)
      CPU: Intel Quad Core 2.4Ghz (Q6600)
      GPU: ATI x1950XT 256MB
      MB: Asus P5K Deluxe WiFi-AP
        • 1. Re: How to: multiple screens, zoom out to form a word or an object
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

AnkaPro: All the ways I can think of to do something like this, they all go way beyond what you can explain in a couple of points in a forum post.

Others may suggest a much easier/simple way, but if you don't get a reply, it's probably because something like this takes quite a lot of work.

• 2. Re: How to: multiple screens, zoom out to form a word or an object
            ArkaPro Level 1

Thank you very much for replying!

I came across this tutorial:

http://www.ayatoweb.com/ae_tips_e/ae31_e.html#

but according to this tutorial the images are still (that are part of a still image that blocks the final displayed movie).

I need the opposite.

I need a lot of VIDEO screens to zoom out (extremely) and create a word (like the "TED" in the example).

Also the final result should be a word and not just square screen.

I really appreciate the help -
            I have my dead line coming soon!

• 3. Re: How to: multiple screens, zoom out to form a word or an object
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I think you are looking for a one-stop solution where there is none. for staerters, the tutorial is the correct way to follow. it may use stills, but nothing is stopping you from generating a still image of the first frame from your video files, nor is anything preventing you from replacing the images with video again. It's not relevant for a simple setup, though, you would only require deeper procedures if you wanted to use a photo mosaic software and wanted to match the contrast/ color of a given text or logo and the soiftware needs to match the image content to follow the lines. In your case, you can just as well directly arrange all your clips using the Align & Distribute palette and do so inside a very large pre-composition. That pre-composition acts as the layer, to which you apply the Card Dance effect, not Card Wipe. You feed in your target text/ logo (which also should be placed in a pre-composition that matches the size of your image comp to ensure correct alignment) as a greyscale map and assign it as a Gradient Map baserd on Lightness. Then you simply tell the effect to use it for Z Position and what other effect you desire. By animating the brightness or the map or the multipliers in the Card Dance effect you can determine the strength of the effect. To hide tiles outside the logo or text, you use the gradient map to scale those tiles to zero, effectively making them invisible. That's all there is.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: How to: multiple screens, zoom out to form a word or an object
                bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

> That's all there is.<

Trés understated.

This is pretty much what he got told over on the cow; Shatter or Card Dance and time to open those manuals and spend a few hours watching tutorials.

Let's not forget the grayscale layer can actually contain grayscale MOVIES and there's room for four different movies or gradients, one hidden in each channel.

bogiesan

• 5. Re: How to: multiple screens, zoom out to form a word or an object
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

bogiesan wrote:

Trés understated.

Maybe so, but honestly: No need to overcomplicate matters. Quite clearly the OP doesn't know much about AE, and as much as I don't like that copycat mentality and as much as I'm willing to even shed blame even on the people that produce those tutorials for leaving so much in the dark, there is no point in turning this into an endless discussion. I can only provide the knowledge, it's up to the OP to put it to use.

Mylenium