4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2009 3:29 PM by PopaTim

Looking for beginner tutorials for Premiere Elements 7

PopaTim

Frankly the workflow is alot different then Cyberlink Power Producer so naturally this old grampa needs a tutorial or two to get me rolling.

I'm having problems and I figure its because I'm not doing something in the right way esp since I'm going from novice to a more Pro software.

I've managed to import the vidoes but I'm having a problem with music. One video is 21min 15.51 seconds long and as I add BGM (various mp3's) to the AVi after about 13 minutes instead of just adding in the music to the video it will create a gap in the video that I can't delete and shrink. The work around is to add the new music slightly later in the track and delete and shrink the gap in the BGM. I have to do this to all added music once it starts happening.

The other issue is with the DVD title screen. I wish to have just 1 title screen with a link to play either of the two video's that will be on the DVD. The best I can do so far is to create the title screen with a second page setup to the two scenes. I've tried making them two videos (video1 and video 2) with two title Markers but that just gets me two title screens 

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? LO

Thanks for any help!

Popa Tim

• 1. Re: Looking for beginner tutorials for Premiere Elements 7
          the_wine_snob Level 9

For tutorials on almost all aspects of PE, I cannot recommend any source more highly, than Muvipix.

It is a Web site, and has a "Community," which is like this forum. The biggest difference is that it is also a resource center with tutorials and articles on how almost everything is done in PE. There are several levels of participation. One can read the fora (Community), for free. With a registration, one has access to a lot of material, and can post and read. With a subscription (pays for itself in a few downloads of Menus and Assets), one has it all, with just a click.

One of the best resources there will be Steve Grisetti's (he's the MOD for this forum) Muvipix Guide to PE7. I strongly recommend that book, plus his earlier book on PE2. Now, do not let the name get in your way. Yes, much is around PE2, but the basics still apply. There is a ton of great info on video production that is not version specific in PE.

Now, Steve will not offer up such brazen recs, but that is because he's a modest gentleman.

Between the folk here, those at Muvipix and Steve's book, there will be little that is not covered.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Looking for beginner tutorials for Premiere Elements 7
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            The other issue is with the DVD title screen. I wish to have just 1 title screen with a link to play either of the two video's that will be on the DVD. The best I can do so far is to create the title screen with a second page setup to the two scenes. I've tried making them two videos (video1 and video 2) with two title Markers but that just gets me two title screens 

Unfortunately, PE's Menuing functions are somewhat limiting. Most of it is done automatically, based on the perceived needs, based on the DVD Markers. For more sophisticated DVD navigation, I use Adobe Encore, but it is no longer available as a stand-alone - only bundled with PrPro. DVD Architect (Sony?) gets high marks, and is available as a stand-alone. There is a lot of discussion on this program on Muvipix, and Steve Grisetti has released a book on it, or I think that it has been released.

Though I use a version of PrPro that has some built-in DVD authoring capabilities (about like those in PE, but with less automation), I always do my DVD authoring in Encore because I can do exactly what I want, within the DVD-specs.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Looking for beginner tutorials for Premiere Elements 7
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              I've managed to import the vidoes but I'm having a problem with music. One video is 21min 15.51 seconds long and as I add BGM (various mp3's) to the AVi after about 13 minutes instead of just adding in the music to the video it will create a gap in the video that I can't delete and shrink. The work around is to add the new music slightly later in the track and delete and shrink the gap in the BGM. I have to do this to all added music once it starts happening.

Into which Audio Track are you adding your MP3's? You should be able to add these to the Soundtrack Track and not have this problem.

As an aside, some MP3's can cause problems, but it does not sound that you are experienceing these. Other than a few brief SFX, I never use MP3's and convert to PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit for Import into Premiere.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Looking for beginner tutorials for Premiere Elements 7
                PopaTim Level 1

Thats for the tips everyone.

As for the MP3's, I have tried both the background music and audio 1 (after deleting the video's audio of course) and it does this in the same spot for both. I even cleared out the 4 project folders and tried again.

I'm going to try capturing the video and saving as a dv- instead of as an avi.

off to the muvi site