10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2008 2:06 PM by Newsgroup_User

Using slice to help protect downloads of copyrighted photographs

ssmcintire
      I am a photographer and read the following tip online as one way to prevent thieves from downloading your copyrighted photos.Here's what I read: "You can use Adobe Fireworks for slicing the images into several parts. The same software is capable of generating the appropriate html code to re-assemble the image parts on the webpage. You can copy the generated html <table> code (without the <html> or <body> tags) into your webpage.

In this case, with the visitor right-click-saves, he is able to save only the sliced part of the image where he clicked. In order to obtain the complete image, he has to download all parts and then re-assemble the parts like a jigsaw puzzle in his webpage or a photo editing software."

Since I really want to use my .mac site which is very user friendly and I don't know how to create my own web pages from scratch or spend the time doing so (I'd rather be taking photos), I want to be able to copy and paste html for the photo to my .mac site so that it will be sliced. I hope this will work but am not sure exactly how to go about it. I'd appreciate any help or tips.

I really didn't understand the part about "You can copy the generated html <table> code (without the <html> or <body> tags) into your webpage." Thanks so much.
        • 1. Re: Using slice to help protect downloads of copyrighted photographs
          Level 7
          It's pluperfect claptrap.

http://continue.to/hope

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"ssmcintire" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g74hg8$mit$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I am a photographer and read the following tip online as one way to prevent
          > thieves from downloading your copyrighted photos.Here's what I read: "You
          > can
          > use Adobe Fireworks for slicing the images into several parts. The same
          > software is capable of generating the appropriate html code to re-assemble
          > the
          > image parts on the webpage. You can copy the generated html <table> code
          > (without the <html> or <body> tags) into your webpage. In this case, with
          > the
          > visitor right-click-saves, he is able to save only the sliced part of the
          > image
          > where he clicked. In order to obtain the complete image, he has to
          > download all
          > parts and then re-assemble the parts like a jigsaw puzzle in his webpage
          > or a
          > photo editing software." Since I really want to use my .mac site which is
          > very
          > user friendly and I don't know how to create my own web pages from scratch
          > or
          > spend the time doing so (I'd rather be taking photos), I want to be able
          > to
          > copy and paste html for the photo to my .mac site so that it will be
          > sliced. I
          > hope this will work but am not sure exactly how to go about it. I'd
          > appreciate
          > any help or tips. I really didn't understand the part about "You can copy
          > the
          > generated html <table> code (without the <html> or <body> tags) into your
          > webpage." Thanks so much.
          >

• 2. Using slice to help protect downloads of copyrighted photographs
            ssmcintire Level 1
            Thanks. Unfortunately, I still have the same question. I realize that unless you don't put your pictures on the web, you can't totally prevent them from being downloaded but by slicing the pic, as described in my original post, I am hoping to make it more difficult.

I went to your site and no where did it tell me how to slice the picture and upload the picture sliced so that someone would have to put the puzzle pieces together if they try to download them as it were...making it more time consuming and difficult.

All your other tips were great if I was a website designer (and using windows, not a mac) and had access to the header but unfortunately I don't, as I said, I am using a .mac site which is template-oriented because I don't know how to design my own web pages and want to spend my time with photography.

All I can do is upload my pics and html to my site. I just want to know is if I can use fireworks to make it so a download of my pic would result in slices being downloaded instead of a whole image and how I can do this step by step to my photo instead of just uploading a regular old .jpg . Thanks.
            • 3. Re: Using slice to help protect downloads of copyrighted photographs
              Level 7
              > so that someone would
              > have to put the puzzle pieces together if they try to download them as it
              > were.

Consider this. I take a screen snap of your page. Now, I don't need to
              piece anything together.

What you are seeking is a will-o-the-wisp, and a waste of your time. It
              simply cannot be done.

Watermark your images and be done with it.

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              ==================
              ==================

news:g74lpa$r4h$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Thanks. Unfortunately, I still have the same question. I realize that
              > unless
              > you don't put your pictures on the web, you can't totally prevent them
              > from
              > being downloaded but by slicing the pic, as described in my original post,
              > I am
              > hoping to make it more difficult. I went to your site and no where did it
              > tell
              > me how to slice the picture and upload the picture sliced so that someone
              > would
              > have to put the puzzle pieces together if they try to download them as it
              > were...making it more time consuning and difficult. All your other tips
              > were
              > great if I was a website designer and had access to the header but as I
              > said, I
              > am using a .mac site which is template-oriented because I don't know how
              > to
              > design my own web pages and want to spend my time with photography. All I
              > can
              > do is upload my pics and html to my site. I just want to know is if I can
              > use
              > fireworks to make it so a download of my pic would result in slices being
              > downloaded instead of a whole image and how I can do this step by step to
              > my
              > photo instead of just uploading a regular old .jpg . Thanks.
              >

• 4. Using slice to help protect downloads of copyrighted photographs
                ssmcintire Level 1
                I may have neglected to state this at the start but I have already watermarked my images but was looking for any additional steps to slow people down...which is when I ran into the suggestion to slice the image ( http://ankurkhetrapal.com/blog/2008/01/12/protecing-your-images-on-the-web/ )

Since posting here, I've also talked to Apple, my web host, and gotten a bit further. I've been able to remove the download link that they had embedded in my photo pages which had a glitch in that the "none" option was not available to me (only the size of the download was editable) until we corrected the glitch.

Per their additional suggestion, I've also added a blank text box in front of only my images so that the right click option to download the images no longer appears when you right click. It might annoy someone that right clicking won't allow a download or save of my pictures but there's really no legitimate reason anyone needs to do that anyway that I can think of as there are purchase links available if you want the image.

I've minimized the size of the pictures to the bare minimum so that if a screen shot is taken, it's low resolution and teeny so that there's not much that can be done with them if someone bothered to try. I feel using the empty text box is a disabling right click solution that renders the need to slice the image and my original question here obsolete although someone else might still benefit from a tutorial on image slicing and uploading as it still seems to be an interesting tactic to slow someone down as per the original post I found on the web as above.

Your right click solution which you've published is a good one too but I didn't have access to the header to add it to my site since I'm using a template. I appreciate your time in answering my question.

Maybe it seems like a moot point since someone intent on getting an image on the web can do so, but considering my pictures are my work and entire income, protecting them as best as I can is important to me and I appreciate any help or tips I can get. In this day and age, one can't expect to do business without using the web so it's a necessity.
                • 5. Re: Using slice to help protect downloads of copyrighted photographs
                  Level 7
                  <sigh>

Whatever. Make your site so user unfriendly that nobody wants to visit.

Suggestion - put some whitespace into your posts, please - they are pretty
                  dense and difficult to read.

--
                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  ==================
                  ==================

news:g74sbn$4g4$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >I may have neglected to state this at the start but I have already
                  >watermarked
                  > my images but was looking for any additional steps to slow people
                  > down...which
                  > is when I ran into the suggestion to slice the image (
                  > http://ankurkhetrapal.com/blog/2008/01/12/protecing-your-images-on-the-web/ )
                  > Since posting here, I've also talked to Apple, my web host, and gotten a
                  > bit
                  > further. I've been able to remove the download link that they had embedded
                  > in
                  > my photo pages which had a glitch in that the "none" option was not
                  > available
                  > to me (only the size of the download was editable) until we corrected the
                  > glitch. Per their additional suggestion, I've also added a blank text box
                  > in
                  > front of only my images so that the right click option to download the
                  > images
                  > no longer appears when you right click. It might annoy someone that right
                  > clicking won't allow a download or save of my pictures but there's really
                  > no
                  > legitimate reason anyone needs to do that anyway that I can think of as
                  > there
                  > are purchase links available if you want the image. I've minimized the
                  > size of
                  > the pictures to the bare minimum so that if a screen shot is taken, it's
                  > low
                  > resolution and teeny so that there's not much that can be done with them
                  > if
                  > someone bothered to try. I feel using the empty text box is a disabling
                  > right
                  > click solution that renders the need to slice the image and my original
                  > question here obsolete although someone else might still benefit from a
                  > tutorial on image slicing and uploading as it still seems to be an
                  > interesting
                  > tactic to slow someone down as per the original post I found on the web as
                  > above. Your right click solution which you've published is a good one too
                  > but I
                  > didn't have access to the header to add it to my site since I'm using a
                  > template. I appreciate your time in answering my question. Maybe it seems
                  > like
                  > a moot point since someone intent on getting an image on the web can do
                  > so, but
                  > considering my pictures are my work and entire income, protecting them as
                  > best
                  > as I can is important to me and I appreciate any help or tips I can get.
                  > In
                  > this day and age, one can't expect to do business without using the web so
                  > it's
                  > a necessity.
                  >

• 6. Re: Using slice to help protect downloads of copyrighted photographs
                    Level 7
                    LOL, just to add to Murray's advice, all of which I agree incidentally.

I used to make a living as a photographer, and became more interested in web
                    'design', and eventually gave up photography or at least put it to one side.
                    I have experienced all the frustrations you are going through at the moment,
                    so I do understand, but believe me Murray is correct and following his
                    advice will save you considerable time in the future.

You only have to look through a few selectcted 'flickr' galleries to see
                    what you're up against! Everything on there is grabable! Is your material
                    'that' much better?

If so, bad luck. You can't use the web to let the world know just how good
                    you are.

My advice, for what it's worth is, listen to Murray, and if your work is
                    really 'that', good watermark it and put it on the web, if you're that
                    worried about it being stolen, employ a lawyer, you'll need one.

Peter

"Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                    news:g74sv5$55a$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    | <sigh>
                    |
                    | Whatever. Make your site so user unfriendly that nobody wants to visit.
                    |
                    | Suggestion - put some whitespace into your posts, please - they are pretty
                    | dense and difficult to read.
                    |
                    | --
                    | Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                    | Adobe Community Expert
                    | (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                    | ==================
                    | http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                    | http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                    | ==================
                    |
                    |
                    | "ssmcintire" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    | news:g74sbn$4g4$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    | >I may have neglected to state this at the start but I have already
                    | >watermarked
                    | > my images but was looking for any additional steps to slow people
                    | > down...which
                    | > is when I ran into the suggestion to slice the image (
                    | >
                    http://ankurkhetrapal.com/blog/2008/01/12/protecing-your-images-on-the-web/
                    )
                    | > Since posting here, I've also talked to Apple, my web host, and gotten a
                    | > bit
                    | > further. I've been able to remove the download link that they had
                    embedded
                    | > in
                    | > my photo pages which had a glitch in that the "none" option was not
                    | > available
                    | > to me (only the size of the download was editable) until we corrected
                    the
                    | > glitch. Per their additional suggestion, I've also added a blank text
                    box
                    | > in
                    | > front of only my images so that the right click option to download the
                    | > images
                    | > no longer appears when you right click. It might annoy someone that
                    right
                    | > clicking won't allow a download or save of my pictures but there's
                    really
                    | > no
                    | > legitimate reason anyone needs to do that anyway that I can think of as
                    | > there
                    | > are purchase links available if you want the image. I've minimized the
                    | > size of
                    | > the pictures to the bare minimum so that if a screen shot is taken, it's
                    | > low
                    | > resolution and teeny so that there's not much that can be done with them
                    | > if
                    | > someone bothered to try. I feel using the empty text box is a disabling
                    | > right
                    | > click solution that renders the need to slice the image and my original
                    | > question here obsolete although someone else might still benefit from a
                    | > tutorial on image slicing and uploading as it still seems to be an
                    | > interesting
                    | > tactic to slow someone down as per the original post I found on the web
                    as
                    | > above. Your right click solution which you've published is a good one
                    too
                    | > but I
                    | > didn't have access to the header to add it to my site since I'm using a
                    | > template. I appreciate your time in answering my question. Maybe it
                    seems
                    | > like
                    | > a moot point since someone intent on getting an image on the web can do
                    | > so, but
                    | > considering my pictures are my work and entire income, protecting them
                    as
                    | > best
                    | > as I can is important to me and I appreciate any help or tips I can get.
                    | > In
                    | > this day and age, one can't expect to do business without using the web
                    so
                    | > it's
                    | > a necessity.
                    | >
                    |

• 8. Re: Using slice to help protect downloads of copyrighted   photographs
                      Level 7
                      No one said your questions were annoying. All Murray has tried to say is
                      that it is trivial for anyone to get a copy of your images whether you
                      slice them in small pieces, disable right-click or try any of the other
                      futile methods countless others have tried unsuccessfully in the past.

You best option is to watermark the images then decide if it's worth it
                      for you to take the risk and get them on the Web in the first place. No
                      matter what you do, some people will copy them.

But the real question is, what will you really loose if some copy your
                      images? Are you going to sell them? Most thieves will never buy them
                      anyway and you won't be putting the highest rez copies on the Web for
                      all to see and/or download. So you won't loose many sales if any.

If you won't sell them and this is a portfolio for potential clients
                      wishing to hire a photographer, then those clients will hire you whether
                      anyone stole your images or not. Nothing to loose here.

If you just want to show them to the world then what have you got to
                      loose really? In any case, the best you can do to protect them is to
                      watermark them. Beyond that, put them up and take your chances. If you
                      are good, people will praise you, clients will call you or purchase your
                      images. Thieves will do what they want no matter what. Don't waste your
                      time and energy worrying about them.

--
                      Stéphane Bergeron
                      Webfocus Design
                      the web on a human scale
                      http://www.webfocusdesign.com
                      blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
                      http://www.pixelyzed.com
                      • 9. Re: Using slice to help protect downloads of copyrighted   photographs
                        ssmcintire Level 1
                        In case any other photographers are interested in the copyright topic, I've found two articles on the subject which may be of interest. If I'd read these first, I wouldn't have posted my original question:

http://danheller.blogspot.com/2007/06/making-money-from-your-stolen-images.html

Here's the original article about copyrighting photos I thought was interesting which lead me to the article above:

http://www.statesman.com/life/content/life/stories/other/08/10/0810photos.html

• 10. Re: Using slice to help protect downloads of copyrighted   photographs
                          Level 7
                          The danheller article is a fascinating one, and once again reveals
                          TemplateMonster as the slimeball that we all believed it was. Thanks for the
                          link....

--
                          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                          Adobe Community Expert
                          ==================
                          ==================

news:g7q29b$2uv$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          > In case any other photographers are interested in the copyright topic,
                          > I've
                          > found two articles on the subject which may be of interest. If I'd read
                          > these
                          > first, I wouldn't have posted my original question:
                          >
                          > http://danheller.blogspot.com/2007/06/making-money-from-your-stolen-images.html
                          >
                          > Here's the original article about copyrighting photos I thought was
                          > interesting which lead me to the article above:
                          >
                          > http://www.statesman.com/life/content/life/stories/other/08/10/0810photos.html
                          >
                          >
                          >