7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2009 9:34 AM by the_wine_snob

upgrading to Windows 7

Dave Burgess

and I don't know how to reload Production Premium 4 after the upgrade. Is there an article somewhwere that might help. I want to be sure I can reload  before I do the upgrade. Apologize in advance if this is a dumb question

• 1. Re: upgrading to Windows 7
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Some people have successfully installed and run the software on Win7, but considering that it's not an officially released OS, Adobe hasn't officially qualified CS4 for Win7, and it won't be qualified until its released.

Short story: you're on your own.

• 2. Re: upgrading to Windows 7
            blairhartley Level 1

As long as you install Windows 7RC as an "upgrade" - as opposed to a fresh install - all your existing apps should just be there after the process has finished.  So you shouldn't need to re-install anything.

That said... Windows 7RC is still unsupported.  There's a possibility that a particular combination of Windows / Hardware / Software could cause a problem.

But it worked just fine for me, on both my main PC and laptop.  And I would recommend it but with that note of caution.

Tim

• 3. Re: upgrading to Windows 7
              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Make sure you deactivate CS4 before you shut down to redo your system if you are going to reformat and start all over.  Prepare for a 800 MB download to upgrade Production Premium to the latest version.

Side comment here: I just opened the forum (first time l entered to the forum this morning) and was logged in automatically.  I then tried to edit my comments above and the forum said I did not have authority to edit my comment.  I double checked and sometime between entering the comment and trying to edit it logged me out.

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

• 4. Re: upgrading to Windows 7
                Dave Burgess Level 1

Thanks everyone, this is the information I needed

• 5. Re: upgrading to Windows 7
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

There have been some instances, reported on the PE board, where Win7 and PE were working fine. Then, with two recent build releases of Win7, things went south in a hurry, and PE would no longer run at all. As Win7 is still in beta, it is a dynamic thing. Some iterations seem to work fine, and then things change.

Were I doing this, I'd definitely go dual-boot, or dedicate a machine just for testing the OS.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS to Bill - that is a common occurance with me lately. Sometimes I'm logged in for a few days, and then get kicked out while trying to post, immediately after anothe successful post. Edit is a hit, or miss proposition for me too. Sometimes, I can Edit after 2 days, and sometimes, 45 sec. is too long and no Edit option?!?!? Phases of the Moon?

• 6. Re: upgrading to Windows 7
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is also a very active discussion at Win7 Help http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro/

• 7. Re: upgrading to Windows 7
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

You might want to check out this THREAD. One user reported that a later build of Win7 cleared up some issues with PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt