10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2009 10:11 AM by the_wine_snob

Creating Chapter Points for a Menu with an AVI File?

tatihulot

Hello.

I'd like to ask a few basic questions about Adobe Premiere Elements, please.

I have a 90-minute AVI file that I'd like to convert to DVD format.  I want to create a menu for it with chapters.

Does APE do this?  If so, do I have to break up the AVI file into individual segments for the purpose of creating chapters, or does APE permit creating chapter points with one main, master file?

If APE does create chapter points, are the chapter points stored in a saved project?  If I begin making a menu, are the chapter points for that AVI file automatically used for making the chapters?

Thank you very much!

J. Danniel

PS:  I'm using Windows 7 RC, if that makes a difference.

• 1. Re: Creating Chapter Points for a Menu with an AVI File?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

PE will do this for you semi-automatically.

First set up a DVD Project and Import your AVI (assuming that it is a DV-AVI, or a type that PE handles - see this ARTICLE), and then just add you Chapter Markers to the Timeline. Name them appropriately, and chosse your Menu Set. Notice the term "Set." Menus in PE are a combo of Main and Scene Selection Menus, and they will be utilized as is necessary. One can also change various aspects of the Menus, by doing things such as replacing the Background image.

When your Project is Saved, you will have a .PREL file that is just a database in XML, that links to your Assets and gives instructions as to what has been done in editing. There is no media in this file. This file cannot be played, only used in PE, provided that the media is still available. You need to Burn/Share to get a playable media file. The Burning can be to a DVD or to a Folder.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Creating Chapter Points for a Menu with an AVI File?
            Paul_LS Level 4

You just add start, scene and end markers to your timeline at the appropriate points then choose the menu and Premeire Elements does the rest. See the complimentart tutorials and Steve's Tips over on Muvipix on setting DVD markers and DVD menus and all will be made clear.

Steve's tips:

http://muvipix.com/products.php?subcat_id=41

Tutorials:

http://muvipix.com/products.php?subcat_id=42

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Creating Chapter Points for a Menu with an AVI File?
              tatihulot Level 1

Thank you for the replies.  A follow-up question:

Which would be a better program to use, if I am primarily concerned with menu and chapter creation:  Premiere Elements, or Encore?  The blurb on that complimentary tutorial site says the following:

"Although DVD menu creation in Premiere Elements isn't as advanced as it is in many standalone DVD creation programs, such as Adobe's Encore, you can do a surprising amount of customization your menus right in the program. In fact, working from one of the existing templates, you can shape it into pretty much custom look you could like in a menu."

Thank you.

J. Danniel

• 4. Re: Creating Chapter Points for a Menu with an AVI File?
                tatihulot Level 1

Oh, one more unrelated question, please:

Those complimentary e-books you recommended...could you please tell me what software was used to create them?  Thank you.  Jd

• 5. Re: Creating Chapter Points for a Menu with an AVI File?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If you have access to Encore, I would use it in a hearbeat. The power of DVD authoring is unleashed. Now, unfortunatly, Encore is no longer sold as a stand-alone program. It only comes bundled with PrPro, as of the CS3 version. I use EncoreDVD 2.0 (came bundled with the Adobe Production Studio package then), and it is wonderful. There are very few things, within the DVD-specs, that it cannot do.

Another stand-alone, that gets high marks, is DVD Architect. I've not used it, but following some of the discussions, it does look good. However, I have Encore, so I am not likely to change.

The biggest differences between PE authoring capabilities and those of Encore are:

1.) far greater control and flexibility in Encore

2.) far more "hand-work," as nearly everything must be done by hand, while PE is semi-automatic, with the limitation of #1 above

3.) simple Menu creation and modification is available to a greater extent in Encore, though I use Photoshop for most of that

4.) greater range of DVD delivery in Encore

5.) much better interface, IMO, in Encore - makes the power of #1 above come alive

6.) PE does everything internally, where one will need to Export from the NLE and then Import into Encore. Later versions, CS3 & CS4, offer Dynamic Linking to PrPro, and that imporves with each version, but you can still use the Export/Import workflow

7.) Menu Assets from PE can be used in Encore, plus it ships with many of its own

That's about it for the major aspects. For me, the combo of Encore, PrPro and PS cannot be beaten. PE is very nice, and I do use it along side of PrPro, but do not use it for any authoring - that is done 100% in Encore.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Creating Chapter Points for a Menu with an AVI File?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Those complimentary e-books you recommended...could you please tell me what software was used to create them?

Do you mean the ones on Muvipix? Steve Grisetti, or Chuck Engles will have to tell you. I think that they did most of those, so will know exactly how they were done. Steve is the MOD here, and Chuck drops in, from time to time, but if you ask in the "Community" at Muvipix, I know that Chuck will respond very quickly, and so might Steve, as he's a MOD there too. Sorry that I do not know the answer.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS, there is a lot of Encore talk in the Muvipix DVD Authoring sub-forum, plus an active Adobe Encore forum, as well. The Adobe forum is broken down into sub-fora by subject, plus there's the main "Encore/Encore" forum. If you have any questions about that program, I'd post to both Muvipix and to the Adobe Encore Forum. On the Encore forum, there are three posters, who know it all: Jeff Bellune (he wrote the book on Encore), Jbowden and Neil Wilkes (very knowledgable on all things Audio and a MOD too).

• 7. Re: Creating Chapter Points for a Menu with an AVI File?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

If you do have Encore, and wish to become an expert with it, I highly recommend Jeff Bellune's Focal Easy Guide to Adobe EncoreDVD 2.0, by Focal Press. Do not let the version number, 2.0, put you off. Ninety-nine % of what is in that book covers CS3 and CS4, with the one exception of Adobe Dynamic Link to PrPro. Everything else is the same and Jeff lays it out beautifully with just the right amount of tech-speak, and how-to steps for even a beginner. Though I've been using Encore from many years and hundreds of Projects, I still rely on my copy about once a week.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Creating Chapter Points for a Menu with an AVI File?
                        tatihulot Level 1

Thanks for the helpful replies.

I have access to Encore 1.0, but not any of the subsequent versions, unfortunately.

Jd

• 9. Re: Creating Chapter Points for a Menu with an AVI File?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I don't really remember version 1.0, as I started with 1.5. I know that some things changed up to 2.0, which is what I use now. Many of the folk on the Encore forum do know 1.0 and can help you along with what it can, and cannot do. Because there could be some limitations with that older version, you might also want to investigate DVD Architect. Steve Grisetti has either just published a book on it, or is about to do so, and there is much information on the Muvipix site. I just do not know enough about that program to tell you what it can, and cannot do - sorry.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Creating Chapter Points for a Menu with an AVI File?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

There are also a lot of neat Menus on the Muvipix site. For just signing up, I believe that some will be available to you. The rest will be, for a fee. If one subscribes to Muvipix, everything from original music to all Menus will be free. One could recoup the cost of a subscription in a day of downloading. Do check out all of the Functional Content on the Muvipix site.

Good luck,

Hunt