4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2008 6:01 PM by ntsiii

integration of flex with asp.net update panel

jonpor Level 1
      Wondering if anyone has had any luck developing a technique to integrate flex with the update panel in asp.net. I'm trying to make a 'wizard like' interface with flex and use postbacks via an update panel in asp.net ( using hidden fields). With the exteneral interface in flex, I can call javascript in the asp page (on the client) to trigger the postback. But for whatever reason, the entire page always refreshes, reloading the imbedded flex app.

Anyone mastered this tecnique?
        • 1. Re: integration of flex with asp.net update panel
          Level 7

"jonpor" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gbj1oo$l3a$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Wondering if anyone has had any luck developing a technique to integrate
          > flex
          > with the update panel in asp.net. I'm trying to make a 'wizard like'
          > interface
          > with flex and use postbacks via an update panel in asp.net ( using hidden
          > fields). With the exteneral interface in flex, I can call javascript in
          > the
          > asp page (on the client) to trigger the postback. But for whatever
          > reason, the
          > entire page always refreshes, reloading the imbedded flex app.
          >
          > Anyone mastered this tecnique?

I have no idea what an update panel is, but unless it is using something
          like AJAX to do the call, the page will of course refresh when you submit
          the form.

• 2. Re: integration of flex with asp.net update panel
            jonpor Level 1
            If you do any asp.net you've probably seen and used an updatepanel. You are right, it is AJAX. An "updatepanel" is an asp.net control that encapsulates the AJAX functionality to do partial page postbacks in Asp.net. With an updatepanel, you can trigger ajax postbacks on parts of a page (whatever is in the updatepanel). Problem I'm having is when I trigger an update on the client side, it is triggering 'the whole page' to update, rather than only posting back what is in the panel. This is probably a better question for an asp.net site, but figured someone in the flex/flash camp might have figured out how to do it.

Since I'm putting Flex in Asp.net, figured I'd try to look for an answer here rather then getting flamed on a Microsoft board for using Flex.
            • 3. Re: integration of flex with asp.net update panel
              Level 7

"jonpor" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:gbj914$ct$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > If you do any asp.net you've probably seen and used an updatepanel. You
              > are
              > right, it is AJAX. An "updatepanel" is an asp.net control that
              > encapsulates the
              > AJAX functionality to do partial page postbacks in Asp.net. With an
              > updatepanel, you can trigger ajax postbacks on parts of a page (whatever
              > is in
              > the updatepanel). Problem I'm having is when I trigger an update on the
              > client
              > side, it is triggering 'the whole page' to update, rather than only
              > posting
              > back what is in the panel. This is probably a better question for an
              > asp.net
              > site, but figured someone in the flex/flash camp might have figured out
              > how to
              > do it.
              >
              > Since I'm putting Flex in Asp.net, figured I'd try to look for an answer
              > here
              > rather then getting flamed on a Microsoft board for using Flex.

I'd look at using ExternalInterface to fire of the js methods that run the
              AJAX.

HTH;

Amy

• 4. Re: integration of flex with asp.net update panel
                ntsiii Level 3
                I'd say skip all that junk entirely. "post-back"? That is html stuff. Join the RIA bandwagon, and never post back again!

Replace that with a simple HTTPService call to an aspx page that has Response.ContentType = "text/xml". Get your data on the client, use it however you want.

If you are dealing with legacy server code that you do not control, then I am not being very helpful, sorry.

Tracy