11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2009 8:41 AM by the_wine_snob

Unable to import ANYTHING - help troubleshooting?

BirdBrainBubba

I recently installed Premiere Pro CS4 as part of the Adobe CS4 Master Collection.  I'm new to this version of Premiere, but I've used older versions (on a different PC).

Problem: I can't seem to import ANYTHING - any video or any JPG file.  Every time I attempt to import any file (so far), I get the following error message:

File Import Failure

(path to the file)

Error Message:

File video dimensions (width/height) too large

Configuration:

Premiere Pro CS4.1.0

Windows Vista 32-bit Home Premium SP1

Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz, 3 gigs RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT (video driver 7.15.11.8250, which appears to be the latest)

This PC has generally been quite trouble-free, never had any other issues with other software I've used (not that I have any other video editing software on it)

As I said, I'm fairly new to this complex program, and I know there are a thousand things that have to all be working together. While I have used older versions of Premiere on another PC (I have Premiere Pro 2.0 running on a PC running Windows XP), I've probably only used the most basic functions of the program, and don't know it well. Right now, all I'm trying to do is import a few items to play with, so I can explore the program's features. So I'm not working on some critical project, I can't get to square one - nothing I've tried will import, which makes it pretty hard to make much progress.

I've tried importing short, simple .AVI files, QuickTime .MOV files, and JPG stills.  All small and short (that's what I've got handy). I can't figure out if I'm just doing something wrong (have I got the project settings all screwed up and it's telling the the truth that the files are "too large") or, is something in Premiere really busted?

Admittedly, I have tried only a few different kinds of files (that's really all that I've got here to use), although I've tried many of them, and in the past all of these kinds of files have always imported successfully on my older system.  So even though professional video editors might turn up their noses at these file formats, it does not appear to me that the problem is with these files (because they're lowly "consumer grade") - the problem appears to be that Premiere just won't import ANYTHING, and even if I had some "better" files to try, I suspect the results would be the same.  I'm certainly willing to explore that option (using "better files") but before I go to all the trouble of finding some, I'd like to confirm that the Project settings I'm using are plain vanilla, garden variety, and correct.  Then I'd like to try importing something ultra-basic - like a small, still file JPG - and if THAT fails, then I assume that would establish that the problem is not with the trashy consumer-level files I'm attempting to work with.  However, if I am able to import something v-e-r-y simple and basic, then I can start working with increasingly complex files and see if/when things stop working.

Can someone please suggest the best, most simple, lowest-common-denominator settings for a new project for this testing? Or tell me if I've somehow done something fundamentally wrong while setting things up?

Here's what I'm doing:

1. Launch Premiere Pro CS4.

2. In the Welcome screen, click New Project.

3. in the New Project dialog, I accept the default settings (I don't believe I've changes any of these). These are:

on the General tab: Title Safe Area - 20% horizontal, 20% vertical; Action Safe Area - 10% horizontal, 10% vertical. Video display format: Timecode. Audio Display Format: Audio Samples. Capture: Capture Format DV. Location (path to folder in Premiere Pro 4). Name: SomeUniqueName.

on the Scratch Disk tab, all values are set to "Same as Project", with 240 GB available (I only have one drive).

3. Click OK to close the New Project dialog. The New Sequence dialog appears.

4. In the New Sequence dialog, on the Sequence Presets tab, under Available Presets, the DV-NTSC group is expanded, and Standard 48 KHz is selected.  In the Sequence name field, the default name (Sequence 01) appears. On the General tab and the tracks tab, all the values are the defaults for that preset.

5. I click OK, and the program's interface comes up, with the new Untitled project showing Sequence 01. Do far so good, I think.

6. I click File > Import... and the Import dialog appears. I locate a small JPG file that I just saved out of Photoshop CS4. the file is 640x480 pixels, click Open and...

7. The Import Files dialog appears momentarily, the progress bar moves quickly, then...

File Import Failure

(path to the file)

Error Message:

(OK)

Really?  I'm pretty skeptical that I've just tossed Premiere something too challenging for the program.  I get this same message every time I try to import ANY file.  I have not been able to import a single file of any kind.

Am I just doing something wrong here?  Suggestions?  What to poke next? 

I'll admit it's pretty frustrating to have made this large investment in the Master Collection and not be able to get beyond this starting point in Premiere (fortunately, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc. are all working just fine - Premiere is the only one that won't budge for me, all the others have been flawless - still, this can't go on).

I'd like to proceed carefully and try to get something, ANYTHING to import but have had zero success.  Help?

Thanks for any guidance.

• 1. Re: Unable to import ANYTHING - help troubleshooting?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for providing all the details.

Based on what you wrote, I do not see anything amiss, but maybe others can spot something. It seems as though the installation of PrPro did not complete and your importer modules are either not installed, or not registered properly.

I'd look into doing a Repair Install. You'll start like the normal install, but once initialized, the installer should see that you have the suite. Then, you should get a dialog as to which components you wish to install. Choose PrPro and probably Encore. Next dialog should be to Repair, or Uninstall. Choose Repair. Test.

Good luck, and let's see if someone spots something big that I just missed.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Unable to import ANYTHING - help troubleshooting?
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            Then I'd like to try importing something ultra-basic - like a small, still file JPG - and if THAT fails, then I assume that would establish that the problem is not with the trashy consumer-level files I'm attempting to work with.  However, if I am able to import something v-e-r-y simple and basic, then I can start working with increasingly complex files and see if/when things stop working.

Well, some of those "trashy consumer-level files" can cause problems, due to their CODEC's. Still, if you are getting the same error message with small JPEG's, something else is wrong. Once you get that part sorted, you sitll might have issues with some of the AV test material, but someone can step you though what will need to be done on a case-by-case basis.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS and again, thanks for the details.

PPS what version of PrPro do you have? Go to Help>About and look below the logo for some black type. It will give you the exact version. If you have anything before 4.1, you might want to go to Bridge, then Help>Update (think that is the same place it's been), and let the Adobe Updater get 4.1 installed for you. That might save the Repair Install I mentioned above.

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob to add PPS

• 3. Re: Unable to import ANYTHING - help troubleshooting?
              Eddie Lotter Level 4

Do you have the RED plug-in installed? This document mentions the very error you are getting.

If not then try each of these troubleshooting tips and hopefully one or more will resolve (or point to the root of) the issue.

Cheers
              Eddie

Message was edited by: Eddie Lotter. Spelling

• 4. Re: Unable to import ANYTHING - help troubleshooting?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

One more thing to do would be to update your Video and Audio drivers. I doubt that this would have ANY impact on the issue, but is not a bad thing to do anyway. You mentioned MOV files. I'd also check the version of Apple's QuickTime Player on your system. Last, as it could have been an installation problem, I'd make sure that I had the latest version of Adobe Flash Player. Some installation issues have come from not haing this program updated, though there are usually noticable signs during install, and you did not seem to have any of those.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Unable to import ANYTHING - help troubleshooting?
                  BirdBrainBubba Level 1

I attempted to do this Repair Install, and it seemed to do something strange.  I popped n the CS4 MC installer disk 1 and ran the installer. The installer screen comes up, with most (but not) of the CS4 MC items checked (which I took to mean, already installed). There was no mention of a Repair Install, but the "Install" button was highlighted. I clicked it, thinking that I would then see an option for Repair Install.  It went on and appeared to be installing multiple items, asking for each disk in turn, which I fed in as needed.  It completed without any odd behavior.  I rebooted the PC and then launched Premiere.

The splash screen indicated it was launching Premiere Pro CS 4.0.  Before I did this installation, Premiere showed it was 4.1.  Hmmmm.  So it appears that the 4.0 app was installed over the 4.1 app.

Makes me wonder: doesn't the installer check to see if the app is already there?  If so, and if 4.1 is already there, shouldn't it see that and not overwrite it with 4.0?

In any case, I continued, created a new project to test and see if anything would import.  I tried importing a small JPG, and it appeared to import successfully - it appeared in the project's asset list.  I double-clicked the JPG, assuming it would appear in the Source panel - but it didn't display, the program crashed.  Hmmm.  I rebooted and tried again.  Tried to import a .WMV clip, and the program froze on import.  OK, clearly it's not fixed.

It did say it was 4.0 rather than 4.1, so I figured i might as well get the update. That's currently downloading (I'm writing this from my Mac).

Sheesh.

In answer to other questions....

I do not have any plug-ins installed that were not installed by the CS4 installer or the updater - that is, other than what came out of the CS4 box or its updater, I've installed nothing else in any way related to video editing.

Video driver is the latest available for my card, according to Windows and to NVIDIA.  Audio driver?  Hmmm. I'm guessing that's not a likely suspect when importing a JPG, but will look into that after the 4.1 update is applied. Will also check to make sure QuickTime is updated.

• 6. Re: Unable to import ANYTHING - help troubleshooting?
                    BirdBrainBubba Level 1

No progress.  Well, maybe this means something.

Downloaded and installed the 4.1 update.  Installed the latest version of QuickTime.

Now, I can import a small JPG and a small WMV file.  I do not get an error about the file size when importing.

However, as soon as I click on the imported file - JPG or WMV - Premiere freezes hard.

Isn't there any way to make this thing go?

• 7. Re: Unable to import ANYTHING - help troubleshooting?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, you're getting a program freeze. Maybe the Event Viewer steps in this ARTICLE will lead to some clues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Unable to import ANYTHING - help troubleshooting?
                        BirdBrainBubba Level 1

Well, it took two full days of banging on the PC, but I *think* things have been set to right.  I can now import a JPG, a WMV, and even capture some clips from a DV-tape-based/FireWire video camera.  Whew.

What I had to do:

Removed EVERY TRACE of every Adobe bits from the PC - and that was a lot (sheesh....took almost 20 hours for all the uninstallers to finish) - got rid of CS3 "Design Premium" suite, LightRoom, PS Elements 6 and 7, CS4 "Master Collection", etc.  Scrubbed all Adobe bits using the Microsoft Windows Uninstaller tool and Adobe's CS4 cleaner script, defragged, scrubbed the registry, then disabled all security software and disconnected from the internet (temporarily).  Manually hunted down anything associated with any Adobe apps (quite a scavenger hunt there...).

Reinstalled the entire CS4 Master Collection.

Tried Premiere Pro CS4 (not 4.1) and it seems to import things OK.  I'm currently downloading the PrPro 4.1 update and will keep my fingers crossed and hope it continues to work.  If it does, then I'll start carefully re-installing the other various Adobe bits (not part of CS4 MC), and all the updates.

And assuming all that goes OK, then I'll be back with the dumb questions about actually using the software (I'll start a separate thread for that)....

Thanks for the help thus far.

• 9. Re: Unable to import ANYTHING - help troubleshooting?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for reporting back. Sorry that you had to spend the time to do the uninstall. That's one reason that I lean on a Repair Install, when it goes well, I am a lazy sot and hate to spend days doing uninstalls and reinstalls. Still, sometimes that is the only way to get it up and running.

If you have not looked at the PrPro Wiki, I strongly suggest that you poke around on it. Most of what one would want to know about CS4 will be in the manual, the help file, and the Wiki.

Good luck, and fingers X'ed here too,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Unable to import ANYTHING - help troubleshooting?
                            BirdBrainBubba Level 1

I spoke too soon.  

Yes, Premiere was working - I even burned a short DVD using some captured footage - it was a nice change to actually use the software for a change.  Thinking all had gone OK, I downloaded the 4.1 update, as well as some of the higher priority updates for some of the other CS4 apps that I use.  Then I went for dinner while all that downloaded.  Came back, let the updates install, and rebooted.

Launch Premiere Pro, create a new project, import something - oh....no.....

File Import Failure

(path to the file)

Error Message:

No kidding.

Create a new project, just for grins, I import an MP3 file (I used this file in the last project that was successful).

Same error.  It says an audio file has dimensions that are too large...

Well, there's two full days of my life down the drain.

Sigh.

• 11. Re: Unable to import ANYTHING - help troubleshooting?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

In post #3, Eddie Lotter points to an Adobe KB article on the RED plug-in. He mentions that the error that an error reported therein is almost identical to what you cite. Did you look at that article and find anything of use?

I've not encountered what you are, and did not even recall hearing of your error message. Eddie is great at picking up on little things like that, and knows his Adobe KB archive. If you have not followed the steps in that article, I'd do so, just to see if it solves something for you.

Good luck,

Hunt