39 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2012 3:50 PM by JSiamon

Parent of resource is marked as read-only error

neutrino15 Level 1

I can not export a Library Package from Catalyst. When I select the "Export Library Package.." option from the file menu, I am met with the following popup:

My Catalyst project is named "Design"

Picture 2.png

This happens with every Catalyst project I have tried so far. I am running Mac OS 10.5.7 on an Intel C2D Macbook. I have not run into any other import / export errors so far.

Thanks--

-Jordan

• 1. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
          bruce_adobe Adobe Employee

Hi:

I have not heard of this issue before. Could you give me some more information?

* Do you get this error immediately, or do you first get the "file save" dialog?

* Do you have any components to save in the Library panel?

Thanks,

Bruce

• 2. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
            dogdog1981 Level 1

I too am having this error, now with the latest Flash Catalyst beta (beta 2). I'm on a Mac, running snow Leopard, and no matter what I do or under what circumstances I try, I cannot export an FXPL from my library, which does have custom components in it. To answer Bruce's first question, I do receive a file save dialog - I only receive the error after choosing a filename and location for saving (I've tried in several different locations, but the result is the same in all of them).

-Jeremy

• 3. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
              Gizmometer Level 1

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I seem to have this exact same issue, but now with the released version of Catalyst.

No matter what I try, no matter what file I use, I always get this error when I try to export a library package:

"Parent of resource: /[filename]_tmp is marked read-only."

where [filename] is the name of the fxp file I'm trying to export from.

I have also tried repairing permissions on my Mac, as well running Catalyst as Super-User, but no luck.

some other error details that might be relevant:

- CS5 is fully updated.

- the files used have been: built from scratch or imported from psd

- nothing is recorded in the console when the error occurs

- the Mac is running OS X 10.6.4

- the error dialog pops up after the save dialog appears, and after a filename is entered.

• 4. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                thx1138 Level 1

Try this. Select the Flash Catalyst Application in the Finder Applications view. Right click and select Get Info. Under sharing and permissions. Tell me what it says. If admin is read only that could be a problem.

If we can find the path to the project_tmp we can check the permissions on that.

Also check on the folders

[User]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Flash Catalyst/

[User]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Flash Catalyst/workspace

[User]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Flash Catalyst/workspace/project

• 5. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                  Gizmometer Level 1

Thanks kindly for your reply and help thx1138,

My user is an admin on the system.

The application permissions are:

drwxrwxr-x    3 root  admin     102 Jun  9 15:30 Adobe Flash Catalyst CS5.app

it's folder is:

drwxrwxr-x@  19 root           admin     646 Jun 27 21:23 Adobe Flash Catalyst CS5

And the relevant folders are:

[User]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Flash Catalyst/

drwxrwxr-x    6 root    _guest   204 Jun 27 21:20 Flash Catalyst

[User]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Flash Catalyst/workspace

drwxrwxr-x   5 root    _guest   170 Jun 27 21:38 workspace

[User]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Flash Catalyst/workspace/project

drwxr-xr-x  11 [User]  _guest   374 Jun 27 22:05 Project

(Note: for some reason the folder is "Project" instead of "project", is that expected?)
                  I did notice this, in the workspace folder:
                  drwxr-xr-x   3 [User]  _guest   102 Jun 27 22:05 .fxpTemp
                  I think all of this points to my having read-write access, doesn't it?
                  Thanks again for the help.
                  • 6. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                    thx1138 Level 1

It's been a while since I knew what that information means.

For now use the Get Info window. It should be:

workspace folder:

system - read & write

staff - read & write

everyone - read

Project folder:

you - read & write

staff - read only

everyone - read only

Also close FC and delete the .fxpTemp file and restart.

• 7. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                      Gizmometer Level 1

Thanks again thx1138,

I verified the permissions to match the ones you posted, and I deleted the temp directory and restarted, but unfortunately, I'm still having the same error.

Is there a place that logs Catalyst events in more detail so that I can perhaps better discern what "parent" the error message is talking about?

• 8. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                        Gizmometer Level 1

I've done two things to try and troubleshoot the issue further to no avail:

- I launched Catalayst as root (I had done that incorrectly earlier).  WHen I did that, I was able to export a library, but the exported file was not importable anywhere, and on top of that, Catalyst could no longer open any fxp file after that.  In other words, never run Catalyst as root.

- I fixed the issue by deleting the entire [User]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Flash Catalyst/ directory.  After restarting Catalyst, the directory was recreated.  However, I still could not export a library.

That means that the permissions issue resides elsewhere.

Is anyone from Adobe on these forums?  Could you perhaps shed some light on where Catalyst tries to create its temp files during library export?

• 9. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                          thx1138 Level 1

I don't remember if it was mentioned but have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Flash Catalyst?     

• 10. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                            Gizmometer Level 1

That's the only thing that I haven't tried yet, but had been trying to avoid doing that, since the Adobe installations seem to be fragile.  My past experience with CS4 has taught me that uninstalling and reinstalling has unintended consequences to other suite applications.  I didn't want to risk fixing Catalyst at the expense of possibly breaking Photoshop.  I will try the reinstallation this weekend.

Thanks again for all your help and advice, thx1138!

• 11. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                              Tara Jane Feener Level 3

Hey!

Before you uninstall and reinstall everything, can you try the following:

1) Post the log files (see thread http://forums.adobe.com/thread/657612?tstart=0)

2) Delete your workspace (Close Catalyst, delete the workspace folder usually found under your 'username', and reopen Catalyst)

Let me know if (2) works for you, and otherwise I'm hoping the log files will give some additional insight.

Thanks!

Tara

• 12. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                                Gizmometer Level 1

Thanks kindly for replying Tara!

I'm afraid that I've already tried deleting the folder (actually, the workspace parent folder), but I tried deleting the workspace folder again exactly as you instructed (after quitting Catalyst).  Unfortunately, the library export problem persists.

Logs are posted below.

!SESSION 2010-07-01 16:05:11.744 -----------------------------------------------

eclipse.buildId=unknown

java.version=1.6.0_20

java.vendor=Apple Inc.

BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86, WS=carbon, NL=en_US

Framework arguments:  -keyring /Users/gizmometer/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation

Command-line arguments:  -os macosx -ws carbon -arch x86 -clean -keyring /Users/gizmometer/.eclipse_keyring -consoleLog -showlocation

!ENTRY com.adobe.thermo.core 1 0 2010-07-01 16:05:25.497

!MESSAGE Loading ThermoPanels from bundleentry://52/ThermoPanelsSWF/ThermoPanels.swf

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.net 1 0 2010-07-01 16:05:34.619

!MESSAGE System property http.nonProxyHosts has been set to local|*.local|169.254/16|*.169.254/16 by an external source. This value will be overwritten using the values from the preferences

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.p2.ui.sdk 2 0 2010-07-01 16:05:34.709

!MESSAGE Could not locate the running profile instance

• 13. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                                  Richard Butler Level 1

Did anyone get anywhere with this? I'm having the same issue.

• 14. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                                    James Spahr Level 1

I am having the same problem. Plus this is happening on my Mac at home, and on my Windows XP box at work. I've tried all the mentioned fixes here (except for a re-install) at Home.

I'm seeing no entries in the logs when this error occurs.

• 15. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                                      thx1138 Level 1

This might be helpful, http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=rview&goto=335706&th=109876

For finding the workspace look at this post, http://bit.ly/9kM8XT. Not sure what it would be on WinXP.

• 16. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                                        James Spahr Level 1

Some more details.

On my windows machine (Windows XP, in a highly controlled corp env). I go to export a library item and:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/hpk86wz5dnn7xds/FC-Export-Win1.png?dl

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/60877/share/FC-Export-Win2.png

And then on my Mac (OS X 10.6.4, in a home / non-administered env ) -- using a different file (nothing is the same between these 2 machines)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/60877/share/FC-Export-Mac1.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/60877/share/FC-Export-Mac2.png

• 17. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                                          thx1138 Level 1

The obvious question is will having admin rights fix the issue. Nevertheless, you can go directly to /Users/[USERNAME_HERE]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Flash Catalyst/workspace/Project/ to copy and paste skin component files.

• 18. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                                            Gizmometer Level 1

Admin rights makes no difference.  I have admin rights and nothing has fixed it.  In fact, running Catalyst as root only made the situation worse, but making it impossible to load any other FXP after that.  I had to roll-back from time-machine.

I have still not been able to remedy this "marked as read-only" problem, and from the looks of this thread, the problem is spreading.

• 19. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                                              thx1138 Level 1

Can you provide steps to reproduce it? Does it happen with a brand new empty project? If it has that same problem can you send me the project? If it doesn't have the same project can you send me the project that does? There's only so much you can do without it.

• 20. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                                                Gizmometer Level 1

I can not post steps to reproduce, because the problem seems to be systematic.  After installing Panini, the same problem exists in Panini.

Could someone tell me where the filename_tmp directory gets created?  I can't find it in order to try to modify the folder permissions.

The folder the error mentions is:

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Flash Catalyst Panini Preview/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.resources/filename_tmp

I can confirm that all of those parent directories are ones that my user account has write privileges.

Is there a way of getting more detailed error messages during export?

• 21. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                                                  Muscavado Level 1

Do you think your issue has anything to do with this:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.net 1 0 2010-07-01 16:05:34.619

!MESSAGE System property http.nonProxyHosts has been set to local|*.local|169.254/16|*.169.254/16 by an external source. This value will be overwritten using the values from the preferences

I keep getting this in my fdt set up - and then all sorts of issues that seem to be created around/by it.  I don't know what it means, really, or how/where to fix it - and googling brings little that helps... Do you know how/where to re-set nonProxy Hosts?

• 22. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                                                    jason_moree Level 1

Has anyone found the solution to this error???  If so, will you please post the link to the fix, or

describe the fix here?  Thanks.

• 23. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                                                      Kirkus Level 1

Same problem here with FC 5.5 on OS X 10.6.7. The app is clearly trying to create [filename]_tmp in / when exporting. Has anyone figured out a workaround?

• 24. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                                                        rod_m Level 1

I think this issue is related to an os x update as I can export my catalyst project as .fxpl using a macbook running os x 10.7.7, I just opened up the same Catalyst project on a iMac running os x 10.6.8 and this 'Parent of resource...' dialogue pops up. The version of Catalyst I have is 1.0.0.273393.

apple and adobe should just learn to get along...

• 25. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                                                          Chris Born Level 1

There seems to be a new crop of people experiancing this problem. I hate to bring up an old thread, but I'm having a similar if not the same issue with Catalyst 5.5 on OS X 10.7, on two different machines no less. I can't seem to export any project as an FXPL.

There is another post by somone with the same issue: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3865979

Has anyone come up with a working solution. So far trying the different things mentioned here have not worked.

• 26. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                                                            corywhite Level 1

I'm still getting this issue (in OSX Lion and FC 5.5). This problem has existed for 2 years and there still isn't a fix? What's the point of having an export button if it doesn't work?

I have admin rights and none of the suggested workarounds work. Problem exists on any variety of projects (brand-new, created in FB, exisiting older FC, etc).

My error message is slightly different from original post:

"org.eclipse.core.runtime.CoreException: Parent of resource: /(filename)_tmp is marked as read-only."

• 27. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                                                              aligned2009 Level 1

I'm seeing this same issue as well.

• 28. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                                                                corywhite Level 1

I had high hopes you were posting a solution

This is really getting frustrating. I have to constantly recreate components because I can't export the library for reuse.

Adobe, are you reading these posts?

• 29. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                                                                  aligned2009 Level 1

Let's see if we can solve this, it seems like a permissions problem. Do you know where the temporary file is stored by chance? Do you know where the workspace is? Do you have any idea why is would be an eclipse error, and not catalyst?

• 30. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                                                                    James Spahr Level 1

It sure does look like a permissions problem.

On Windows XP Catalyst is trying to write to a file called '<something>_tmp' in the root directory of the C drive. I don't have permission to write to that directory and never will at work.

But on the mac it's the same location, but since that is my personal machine, I do have write access to the root level of the system disk.(yet I have errors thee as well - but only on one of my 2 Macs)

If this is an eclipse issue, I would assume it doesn't have a path set for a temp directory. I've looked through a large number of the Catalyst config XML files and have not seen where one might set this. Where are the eclipse config files stored? I assume it's different than the standalone eclipse app, since I have that at work as well and don't have any issues this it.

• 31. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                                                                      corywhite Level 1

When I search on org.eclipse.core.runtime it looks like the location is in Adobe Flash Builder 4.5>eclipse>configuration>org.eclipse.core.runtime.

While this is my work machine, nothing was done on the permissions side to keep me from writing to certain directories. James are you saying that you're able to at least get one of your macs to work? That's promising if so. But it's still troubling that it's on your Windows and a Mac.

• 32. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                                                                        corywhite Level 1

So, I've just tested a workaround with one of our developers. It's a little annoying but so far so good. If you have Flex Builder installed you can import your Catalyst File and then export it as a Flash Catalyst library. I was able to export a custom library button from Builder (that was part of the catalyst file) and reimport into a new Catalyst file and it works. There are some issues that you'll have to resolve with dependencies (mainly when you have components embedded inside of components) but for me, I would most like just be picking and choosing which components I want instead of the whole thing (this requires creating a new library in Builder and then copying/pasting from the Catalyst file into it). This might prove more flexible in the short term, but at least I have something that works.

• 33. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                                                                          aligned2009 Level 1

How were you able to export from flash builder as a catalyst library? I seem to only have the option of exporting the eclipse project directory as a catalyst project.

• 34. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                                                                            corywhite Level 1

Let's see (I'm not a Builder expert by any stretch), here's what I did:

1. Open Catalyst file in Flash Builder

2. New Flex Builder Library. Give it a name. Make sure "Make project Flash Catalyst compatible" is checked.

3. Expand Components in your Catalyst file, find what you want to export.

4. Select and Copy them (I just did a ctrl-C)

5. Paste into the Components Library (in the src library) in your new Flex Builder Library project

6. Under Projects menu, select Flash Catalyst>Export Flash Catalyst Project and I checked both Validation options. Click Finish. *Cross fingers*

7. In Catalyst, assuming you got this far, use the Import>Library Package

This looked to work pretty accuratly for me. However, I have not tested the button or anything nor am I aware yet of the shortcomings of this method. One thing to help troubleshooting on the Builder side, when you nest components (especially the generic ones) it creates dependencies so you have to copy and paste all those other components to get it to export correctly. If you're looking to do as simple 1:1 export of Catalyst>Builder>Catalyst it should work just fine with very little tweaking. The one thing I do like about this is that in theory I should be able to filter out which components I don't want for a new project. I would love to do all this within Catalyst, but if this works as I hope, this will ok for now (which is far better than the NOTHING I had before ).

Hope this helps!

• 35. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                                                                              The real Fredead Level 1

So this is todo with it wanting to write a file in / ( or c:\ ) for some reason. Probably should be using $TEMP (%TEMP)

anyway to fix on a mac OSX and decrease your security from any virus / stupid typo on a command line..

sudo chmod a+rwx /

or for those octal fan

sudo chmod 0777 /

This gives everyone write permision to the root directory which is not really an optimal solution I dont think adobe read this thread which is a shame as its a REAL bug.

--

Simon L

• 36. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                                                                                FabKM Level 1

That helped! And yes, this is an actual bug. Adobe should know.

Thanks!

• 37. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                                                                                  BryBam

This bug still exists. It's pretty annoying.

The only thing I need FC is to make spark button skins for my FB mobile projects. But I simply cannot export a .fxpl

I have FB 4.6 and FC 1.5.0.308731

Everytime I try and export a library (.fxpl) with a button on it I get an error

"org.eclipse.core.runtime.CoreException: Parent of resource: /buttons_tmp is marked as read-only."

On my old computer, where didn't have lion I never saw this error. Now on my new laptop with 10.7.2 I get this error.

Anyone have any ideas how I can fix this? Because it looks like Adobe is going to just ignore this despite it being a pretty serious bug.

• 38. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                                                                                    corywhite Level 1

Well if you haven't heard, Adobe is discontinuing Catalyst so I'm confident in saying they'll never fix it.

http://www.itwriting.com/blog/5240-adobe-discontinues-flash-catalyst-clarifies-flex-and-fl ash-builder-futures.html

There are a couple of solutions above that are workarounds; I preferred the Flash Builder route myself (because of the extra flexibility).

Good Luck.

• 39. Re: Parent of resource is marked as read-only error
                                                                                      JSiamon Level 1

I tried your Terminal command and as you said, it worked perfectly for exporting library files. What command can I use to rest my core permissions to their default values? However, as you also suggested, my computer is now more at risk for viruses. (I have Kaspersky installed.) I talked to Apple, but the techie didn't really know what command to use. He suggested I reinstall Lion and restore from my Time Machine backup. This will take some time and it would be great if I could just use Terminal to reset the system software.