6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2009 11:24 AM by Lighter223

On to the next question... flashing in flash?

Lighter223

So i got the text to stay after it moved into position  now that it stays.. I want it to disappear..  what the hell? you might ask... well maybe...

What I have in mind is the text flashing or "blinking" then disappearing and making room for new text...

anyone know?

• 1. Re: On to the next question... flashing in flash?
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Make a movieclip that you'll use to control the blinking and subsequent change of text.  Nomally the movie sits stop()-ed at frame 1 where a counter variable is initialized to 0, but when put into action is goes to frame 2 and plays.  When it plays it alternates between turning the textfield visible and invisible (parent.textfield.visible = !parent.textfield.visible).  You control the speed of the blinking based on the number of frames you let it play, with a conditional gotoAndPlay(2) at the end of that timeline.  That goto is conditional because with each cycle you increment the counter variable and check it in that last frame to see if it's time to trigger displaying new text or to do another cycle.  Since you didn't specify what version of AS you're using, don't take the code I showed literally.

Think about it before questioning it.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: On to the next question... flashing in flash?
            Lighter223 Level 1

-Ned

Yeah... I dont understand that completely.. I got the gist but, well I don't get it...

I think I created a movie clip by inserting a new symbol.. Is that the right way?

I named it blinking and I am in edit mode now.

This seems to the AS 3 editor over the general Flash editor.

Now that I am in this new editor the artwork is behind it and I have a new layer 1 to start with ( I am aware that all other work is just off screen and is not deleted).

Must  I write everythin in code or can I do it graphically?

Right now I will continue to read into the Adobe Help and get the "Background info" but all help is appreciated.

I have attached the screen that I have right now to this post just for visuals...

I guess what I really dont understand is how to get text/images to be in the same place or to use as a guide when making a movie that gets inserted into the flash itself...

• 3. Re: On to the next question... flashing in flash?

I'm really not following what you're trying to do, but I made a sample file to demo what I was talking about using AS3.  There are a variety of ways to approach a solution for this, and this one happens to be of a simpler nature (in terms of sophistication).

http://www.nedwebs.com/Flash/AS3_Blinker.fla

• 4. Re: On to the next question... flashing in flash?
                Lighter223 Level 1

-ned

Ok so I watched the video and yes thats what I am talking about.

A couple of questions about your fla...

What is the arrow in the timeline?

Regarding the library toolbar:

Is AS3_Blinker from the library or is it something that you named? If it is in the library where is it located? Is it in the action window?

What is the MC after text and blinker?

• 5. Re: On to the next question... flashing in flash?

The only question I need to answer from that flurry is the first.  That arrow is the result of doing a timeline tween, as opposed to a coded Tween.  If you follow along the timeline you will see the text is moving... that arrow indicates it's moving from one location/state to another over that many frames.

The rest of your questions will be better answered by your own investigation of what I have provided.  Maybe you should try to recreate what I made and then you might come to realize all of what is involved in it.  One thing you seem to be stuck on is simply naming of things... I named things the way I wanted to, it's that simple... MC is short for MovieClip... I could have named it whatever I wanted to.

• 6. Re: On to the next question... flashing in flash?
                    Lighter223 Level 1

As far as the arrow,  I don't have an arrow for my tween, so thank you for telling me the difference.

I have attempted to disect your sample, as well as investigated into where your objects came from. That is where I am "stuck on".

I am trying to find an object with a name containing the word "blink".  I spent time searching in the help article, the actions window and your sample for the information I seeked, but to no avail.

So where is the code located in the program.  I mean, it's in your sample yes, but where did you get it...

I will look even more, but thanks for your help.