23 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2009 2:29 PM by Dean Utian

Mac Projector problem on D11.5

editor@belarga

I'm working on a cross platform CD-ROM and the Windows version works fine. But after trying several options I'm really confused. It goes like this:

I have the following files:

Picture 10.png

And if I run them from a USB Memory Stick they run perfectly. I tested the .app and it opens a FileMaker solutions, etc. But, after burning the hybrid CD-ROM (HSF/ISO) I get the following message:

Picture 1.png

Shockwave !? It's a plain projector with no fancy streaming or anything like that. I have some .mp4 videos and the Windows version has .dxr files as well and as I mentioned before, it works fine.

I intend to hide all the files that are not public vía SetFile (using Terminal) so to test it in a different mode I made a different hybrid version with this array:

Picture 11.png

Avoiding protected files and got the same result: it's calling for Shockwave... I did the hybrid with Toast 7 Titanium in the same way I've done previous projects with no problems (not on D11.5).  Any ideas? I'm running out of options... Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Mac Projector problem on D11.5
          Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

Did you publish the Mac projector from Windows? If so, you might be better off trying to assemble a bundle on a Mac - there's an old MM technote on Adobe's site somewhere.

• 2. Re: Mac Projector problem on D11.5
            Dean Utian Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

Did you create a Shockwave Projector? If you'd like to know a little more about the publishing process, Xtras, Shockwave projectors, cross platform file requirements, take a look at my stub projector tutorial at:

http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/publishing/projector.htm

Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
            http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/
            http://www.multimediacreative.com.au

• 3. Re: Mac Projector problem on D11.5
              editor@belarga Level 1

Sean

I'm working on a Mac. On my workstation I have Shockwave installed so I never noticed the issue when I did my tests. But once I burn it on a CD (it runs well on a USB Memory Stick) it asks for Shockwave: I tested on a different Mac...

• 4. Re: Mac Projector problem on D11.5

Sounds like you created a Shockwave projector. You can eitherpublish to a Standard projector or bundle teh shockwave components as specified in my stub projector tutorial.

Dean

• 5. Re: Mac Projector problem on D11.5
                  editor@belarga Level 1

Dean

I published it as a Projector and the .exe file for Windows runs perfect. But the .app for the version works fine on a USB Memory Stick... I don't know if it has to do with the HSF or the kind of format. I've notice something weird: If I burn the CD as a .cdr it shows a different problem:

Picture 12.png

I'm sure I didn't publish it as a Shockwave: I've done that on previous ocassions... I hope it's not a bug: it would be a HUGE bug. I'll go for your Stub Projector tutorial http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/publishing/projector.htm

I have a feeling that it has to do with the extensions and other things I've noticed on this 11.5 version. Hopefully someone in Adobe is reading but I think it's a different issue.

Thanks Dean!

• 6. Re: Mac Projector problem on D11.5
                    Hopefully someone in Adobe is reading

There is no-one from Adobe either listening or participating here

• 7. Re: Mac Projector problem on D11.5
                      mikem75

You may want to check to see if your application is using the swadcmpr.x32 xtra.   This will get loaded if you are using a .mp3 in your application.  If that xtra is being used then the executable will try to find shockwave player.  Try removing that xtra.  If you need audio, try using .aif files,

mike m

• 8. Re: Mac Projector problem on D11.5
                        editor@belarga Level 1

Dean:

I followed your tutorial letter by letter and I noticed that the "ProjLib" & "MacromediaRuntimeLib" were not available anymore on 11.5 on Mac. Anyway, the "stub" runs on the working station (it has Shockwave installed) but as soon as I burn it on a CD-ROM and test it on a Mac with no Shockwave there comes that awfull sign of...

"Needs shockwave..." and that's it: Quit or download.

As I see it, there's something wrong with the Projector option on D11.5 in Mac. I can´t downgrade now to 11 'cause I have some videos (mp4).

• 9. Re: Mac Projector problem on D11.5
                          editor@belarga Level 1

Thanks for the tip. I'm not working with .mp3 files. I'm using .wav on audio files... I though on the Xtras problem but the weird part is that it runs fine from a USB Stick but not on CD...

• 10. Re: Mac Projector problem on D11.5

Hi,

I have heard of this problem with specific format CDs with Director, thought thought it had been fixed. The problem was that Mac projectors throw an error if they reside on a partition that isn't some flavour of HFS formatted. It isn't a problem with the files. You can copy an error-throwing projector from an ISO image, and move them to an HFS (or HFS+) partition, and it will start working again. So, one solution is in the way you burn the CD.

Dean

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Mac Projector problem on D11.5

Did you read this technote (ignoring references to OS9 and Classic) - it's the one I referred to in an earlier post.

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Mac Projector problem on D11.5
                                editor@belarga Level 1

It did not work at the end as I hoped but it finally runs. I didn´t go for the Bundle + Package approach as mentioned in http://go.adobe.com/kb/ts_tn_16743_en-us and it was a matter of creating an image (.dmg) so the user can run the program from there. Thanks for the help!

• 13. Re: Mac Projector problem on D11.5
                                  Geoffoz

Just a bit more info on this problem in case it helps someone else:

Production machine is Mac with 10.5.7, Dir 11.5 Hotfix 1, Toast 10.0. Hybrid CD creation done by making a disk image with Disk Utility and mounting it, then using that as the Mac partition in Toast [ie: NOT using Toast to create a temporary partition].

If I create a projector and write a hybrid CD with shared data and try to run that, I get an error on the Mac asking for Shockwave 11.

If I install either SW11.5 slim or full the program runs OK.

The same disc runs perfectly on a Win XP SP2 machine.

If I create a standard data disc with the Mac data on it it runs fine without asking for SW11.

Further to that, the data won't copy from the hybrid disc to a Mac 10.5.7 or 10.4.11 machine but it will copy to a 10.6 machine.

The data will copy from the standard Mac disc to 10.5.7 or 10.4.11.

From my perspective, this implies that the Toast hybrid CD process is breaking something, but that the SW installer is able to fix it. This doesn't seem to make sense.

And yes, stub projector definitely standard, NOT written as a SW style.

I will try updating Toast to 10.0.2 and test again.

Cheers

Geoff

• 14. Re: Mac Projector problem on D11.5
                                    tech_mgr

Thanks for this info!

Stumbled across this after quite a bit of searching trying to narrow down my problems.  I suspect we're hitting a similar issue.

In my case, the standard projector is working fine on Windows and on every Mac we can test on, yet hard-crashes shortly after launch on most (not all) of the machines over at our client's.  They see "application cannot run - restart...".  If they install Shockwave it all works.  We've tried removing Shockwave from our machines, confirming it is removed (ie. unable to play Shockwave content), but just can't reproduce a crash......it always works for us.

One difference is how we are burning:

- We're making a Hybrid image in Toast and sending them the ISO.  They were burning via Toast and we noticed that the app folder was not opening when the cd was insterted as it was for us.

- When they burn the same image on the PC (unsure what they are using), the folder opens fine.

We are sharing data on our Hybrid, so it is entirely possible that something is amiss.  Other issues we're seeing:

- A slew of problems trying to get the Mac build working from XP Director. Worked from Vista 1st try though.

- We get an "The application cannot run - reboot" error on launch with OSX 10.3 or below.  Of course, 10.3 is not supported with Director 11.5 - maybe it just can't get to our OS check via BuddyAPI so this could be normal behaviour - but was expecting something a little more graceful.  I'm suspicious.

The "App works after installing Shockwave" thing is the most troublesome however.  Even after you've removed it (and confirmed you can't play Shockwave content) the app will no longer crash.  I wonder what the Shockwave install is leaving behind?

• 15. Re: Mac Projector problem on D11.5
                                      tech_mgr Level 1

Just to clarify the working method that appears to have resolved this issue for us, in case it helps others:

Symptoms:

- dmg's built using the Mac version of Director 11.5 work on our systems (when mounted).

- Hybrid ISO created using Toast 10, sharing files (by actually using the files, not the dmg), works on our systems

- Same ISO Image burned by client using Toast (unsure which version, but not 10) does not work.  They get a hard crash, however if Shockwave is installed, it works.

- If Shockwave is remove from client machines, the game does not run, though prompts for a Shockwave download.  These are standard projectors.

The workaround:

- Build the Hybrid ISO same way as always

- Have client burn the ISO using Imgburn on the PC.

The problem seems to go away.  Still don't really know why, but obviously something somewhere is getting lost in the burn.

Thanks to the Geoffoz for pointing us in the right direction!

• 16. Re: Mac Projector problem on D11.5
                                        BWolfe [ADOBE] Level 3

You know, it's not entirely true that nobody from Adobe is listening.  Though these are officially 'peer-to-peer' forums.  So we don't promise that we'll participate here. That's what adobe.com/support is for..   I try to get in here once in awhile when I have spare time (haha! spare time! Who has that?)

I've had two cases on this issue, and I have to agree with the earlier poster that this isn't the Director media that's failing, it's the burn.  I haven't been able to repro with Toast 9 or 10 though.  But I'm not entirely sure I have a complete handle on the situation yet.

But, with that in mind I did write a technote on the topic stating what I think is closest to correct so far:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/519/cpsid_51930.html

If anyone can recreate this with Toast 9 or 10, please open a case on adobe.com/support and point back to this forum thread (and put my name in it). It'll get to me and I can dig a little deeper.

Regards,

Bentley Wolfe

Senior Support Engineer, Adobe

Flash/Flash Player/Director/Shockwave

• 17. Re: Mac Projector problem on D11.5

Hi Bentley,

You know, it's not entirely true that nobody from Adobe is listening.

While that may - sporadically - be not entirely true, on a more realistic level I posted the comment you're referring to over 3 months ago. If someone were waiting around here hoping for an official response from an Adobe employee to their post on this forum, you'd have to hope they weren't holding their breath! All I was trying to do was disabuse the OP of the notion they'd get a response from the company. Perhaps I could have couched that more diplomatically: "These forums are for peer-to-peer support and Adobe don't maintain an official presence here. While someone may respond, you're better off using their official support channels for this particular query."

I don't mean to discourage you. Any presence from an Adobe employee is valuable. Thanks especially for your technote - this is more recognition from within than Director has seen for (too long)!

• 18. Re: Mac Projector problem on D11.5

Hi Bentley,

Good to hear from you. It is very seldom that we get an Adobe voice on this forum and others. I'm talking about the Director ones. Other products don't appear to get the same level of silence from the Adobe end. The community does feel there is not enough engagement between users and Adobe. I won't go on too much on this point.

Back to the subject of this thread - have you managed to reproduce it with earlier versions of Toast? I reported the issue directly to Adobe a while back. The thing is this happened with D11 projectors but not with D10 ones (using the same burn process). So, it did feel like there was something odd in the projector that as causing the burn to fail.

Dean

• 19. Re: Mac Projector problem on D11.5
                                              BWolfe [ADOBE] Level 3

Hey guys..

Thanks for the feedback.

I get your point Dean regarding the feedback but to be completely honest I don't know that there's anything I can do about it (other than pop in here once in awhile myself).  I've put out feelers and I'm not getting much back on the situation.   I'll keep asking though.

I'm having an outlook conversation with another customer (who had another thread) about this issue and she's been able to make it fail in Toast 10.  So I'm going to have to go back and re-examine my testing to see where I might have mis-stepped.  But I'm in India just now so it's probably going to have to wait until i get back to the states.   I'm just happy to have some external feedback that my technote isn't quite right.

• 20. Re: Mac Projector problem on D11.5

>I get your point Dean regarding the feedback but to be completely honest I don't know that there's anything I can do about it (other than pop in here once in awhile
                                                >myself).  I've put out feelers and I'm not getting much back on the situation.   I'll keep asking though.

You are doing the right thing by posting here and by talking about community at the Adobe end. If the issue is raised with the Adobe powers that be enough, maybe things will change.

I hadn't realised there were Director staff in the States (other than Allen). I realise you're involved with Flash too. Can you give us more of an introduction to you and your role at Adobe?

Enjoy your trip in India. Tell all the engineers there that Dean says g'day.

Dean

• 21. Re: Mac Projector problem on D11.5

Hi Bentley,

How is everything with you? Did you have a good trip to India.

Is there anything else you can tell us on the Director front?

Dean

• 22. Re: Mac Projector problem on D11.5
                                                    BWolfe [ADOBE] Level 3

Well Dean.. I meant well for the Director forum.. But it wasn't meant to happen.  Today's my last day with an adobe email address after 14.5 years.

It's a good thing. Maybe I'll actually build something with Director now (well I would if the appropriate project came up!)

Bbbent

• 23. Re: Mac Projector problem on D11.5

Hi Bentley,

Sorry to hear the news. Was nice having you peak in here. Thanks for your contribution. I wish you all the best. If you're interested in talking further, my email is d.utian@unsw.edu.au.

Dean