6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2009 12:22 PM by Scott Falkner

Why, why Illustrator doesn' have this feature?

Mario Arizmendi Level 3

This is not a  question, it's only a claim....

Today, reading some article, I discover that indesign has a feauture I'm claiming for a long years, wich is an Ink Mixer palette where you can mix Spot and process colors. I never use Indesign, I don't need it for what I do, but it's give me envy to know InDesign has that feauture and Illustrator doesn't.

I know I can acomplish that with overpint or multiply.... but it will be great to see this into AI CS5, dont't you think?

Lets get together to inundate the future request forum with this...

2009-07-03_1632.png

• 1. Re: Why, why Illustrator doesn' have this feature?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, all valid, but wouldn't that mean that first we would have to implement ID's layers and separations model? You know, AI is still object-centric. I think this makes a bigger long-term request for CS6 or CS7 possibly, nothing for CS5, as it would affect the whole workflow.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Why, why Illustrator doesn' have this feature?
            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Mylenium hasn't this been  long time feature request for multi ink swatches, I think it is possible but i agree if it is not be considered for CS 5 already, and for all we know it is then for CS 6 why not, they have the technology from FH available so it could happen even in CS 5 but of course only time will tell about what features will be in CS 5.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Why, why Illustrator doesn' have this feature?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Dunno how long this has been standing. Since I only do print stuff occassionally to complement my video work (usually DVD labels/ covers), such things are not high on my priority list. Of course I will acknowledge that to people requiring such stuff it would be a major asset to boost their workflow. It all depends, I guess. Still, in the current AI environment I don't see it working easily, considering how difficult it is to create custom separations, so I truly think this would be something in the farther future.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Why, why Illustrator doesn' have this feature?
                Scott Falkner Level 5

There is a way around the lack of the feature, but it's not a complete solution. You can fill or stroke an object with the colour in question, then add a new fill or stroke using any spot colour and set the fill or stroke to overprint in the Attributes panel. Turn on Overprint Preview to see the new colour. You can make a Graphic Style for that new fill or stroke, too. Graphic Styles are not as versatile as swatches, though. You need a different GS for fill and stroke, and even for different stroke weights or dashes. You can't apply a GS to only some of the text in a text object, and it's an even bigger PITA if you want a gradient, too.

I think QuarkXPress could use multi-ink swatches ten years ago. What's taking Adobe so long? They don't care, at least when it comes to Illustrator. Yet.

• 5. Re: Why, why Illustrator doesn' have this feature?
                  Mario Arizmendi Level 3

Scott Falkner wrote:

You can't apply a GS to only some of the text in a text object, and it's an even bigger PITA if you want a gradient, too.

I think QuarkXPress could use multi-ink swatches ten years ago. What's taking Adobe so long? They don't care. Yet.

Scott

Tottally agree, if the technollogy is already there in InDesign, what makes difficult to implement it into AI? 

By the way, sorry about my igorance, but what you mean with the word PITA?...

• 6. Re: Why, why Illustrator doesn' have this feature?
                    Scott Falkner Level 5

Mario Arizmendi wrote:

By the way, sorry about my igorance, but what you mean with the word PITA?...

JFGI