4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2009 1:51 AM by Mylenium

Why won't After Effects boot after installing Flash 10?

dashbrock

Since installing Flash 10 this morning, other Adobe Products (After Effects and Audition) fail to initialize media core and won't boot.  Photoshop boots okay.  Deleting Preference File in AE didn't help.  Restored OS to two days ago.  No help. Vista 32.

• 1. Re: Why won't After Effects boot after installing Flash 10?
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

You mean the Flash 10 plug-in, right?

What version of AE or Audition?

• 2. Re: Why won't After Effects boot after installing Flash 10?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You mean Flash Player, do you? I'm not aware of any such incompatibilities, but it's possible something isgoing on. Since it crashes with MediaCore, most likely it hinges on H.264/ F4V support. However, I do think that this only would happen, if other apps or CoDecs were previously on the system used for H.264. Therefore you should check for any CoDec packs or alternate media players and uninstall them. Then re-install Flash player. After that, it may be possible to also re-install all other tools without risk - until the next Flash player update - so consider, whether you actually need those tools. if that doesn't work, re-installing the Adobe apps may still be required.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Why won't After Effects boot after installing Flash 10?
              dashbrock Level 1

Iinteresting ... while Audition (CS3) was hung-up loading its assets, I thought I'd try to figure out how to uninstall Flash 10 by retracing my steps

during download.  Simply, I wanted to know the path for the download so I could find the program and uninstall it. To do this, I followed the same 'download'steps I took previously, planning to stop short of actually installing again, then taking note of the destination folder where Flash was downloaded. When I got to the Adobe site and initaited the download, just prior to authorizing the process, Audition finished loading.  Believeing that maybe it had something to do with Active-X control having been in an 'on' or 'off' state, I attempted to load After Effects (CS3) and it, too, loaded!   No idea why this occured, but both seem to load correctly now. 

• 4. Re: Why won't After Effects boot after installing Flash 10?
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Funky. Perhaps the install did not finish correctly and was still active when you tried the first time...

Mylenium