5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2009 1:50 PM by Muzak

RETHINK FLASH GFX -> FLEX

cayennecode Level 1

Please, make the process of designing interfaces in Flash, to be used in Flex ridiculously intuitive, easy, fun, enjoyable, consistent, and logical. 

• 1. Re: RETHINK FLASH GFX -> FLEX
          cayennecode Level 1

screw it.

Every freaking time I want to checkout Flex because you guys swear it's the tool for developers, I'm completely turned off by how ****** up the workflow seems.

• 2. Re: RETHINK FLASH GFX -> FLEX
            Michael Borbor Level 4

That's why Flash Catalyst was created, and also the Flex 4 SDK has an 

improved and cleaner separation between code and design.

• 3. Re: RETHINK FLASH GFX -> FLEX
              cayennecode Level 1

From what I've seen of Catalyst it looks like a gimped version of the Flash IDE.  All we need is a cleaner export as Flex Component option for MovieClips, and/or entire .fla documents.  It shouldn't be ******* convoluted and require extraneous plugins.  Design in Flash, export as Flex SWC.  Should be that simple.

• 4. Re: RETHINK FLASH GFX -> FLEX
                JeffryHouser Level 4

I don't know much about Flash SWC development, but..

Aren't SWCs normally reserved for code / components / functionality?  Is a SWC really the proper approach for sharing design elements?

That said, I do think that Adobe should make it easy to use Flash SWCs in a Flex Project or Flex SWCs in a Flash Project.  I have no explanation for why it doesn't "Just work".

• 5. Re: RETHINK FLASH GFX -> FLEX
                  Muzak Level 3
                  Aren't SWCs normally reserved for code / components / functionality?  Is a SWC really the proper approach for sharing design elements?

My thoughts exactly. SWC's are meant for code libraries, not graphical elements (such as skins).

I have no problem with the current approach of using SWF's with linked library resources (for graphical assets) and then using Embed in FlexBuilder.

Allthough most of the time I use Fireworks for graphical skins (png's) and Flash only for embedding fonts.