7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2009 8:41 AM by Harm Millaard

Exporting video from PPro CS4 to Encore CS4 is jerky

Live Fantasy Level 1

Hi Guys

I need help urgently as I have to finish my client's work today:

• I used a HDD camcoder to record video & I downloaded to my PC via Bridge
      • The video is in MPEG format
      • I used the media encoder to convert from MPEG to AVI: microsoft avi, pal, 720 X 576, lower field first, 48Khz audio
      • I imported in PPro and edited: used fast color correction, dip to black video transition, edited audio using soundbooth
      • I then went to each video clip I edited and reversed field dominance (set to always deinterlace, then tried flicker removal)
      • Then I imported the sequence into Encore using adobe dynamic link, and then created a timeline
      • If I test the video in Encore or on TV, guess what? The video is crap - it's jerky
      • I have also tried to first export the video from PPro to an AVI file and then import into Encore as AVI but it's the same bad result

Please, I don't know what to try now. I tried converting using ulead video studio from MPEG to AVI, using DV-AVI settings: frame based, 720 X 576, 48KHz audio, type 2 compressor

The other thing is I don't know what the media encoder uses as a compressor (type 1 or 2) and how come there's no option of choosing DV-AVI. There's only microsoft AVI.

Many thanks in advance guys

Live Fantasy

• 1. Re: Exporting video from PPro CS4 to Encore CS4 is jerky
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          I then went to each video clip I edited and reversed field dominance (set to always deinterlace, then tried flicker removal)

You should not do that. Field reversal is what is causing the crappy, jerky look. By using always deinterlace you throw away half your vertical resolution.

MS DV AVI use by AME is type2. Just check the preset is correct.

• 2. Re: Exporting video from PPro CS4 to Encore CS4 is jerky
            Live Fantasy Level 1

Hi Harm

Thanks for your reply.

Which one should I choose: lower field first, upper field first or progressive on AME? The default that comes up when I choose MS AVI and PAL DV is lower field first.

• 3. Re: Exporting video from PPro CS4 to Encore CS4 is jerky
              Harm Millaard Level 7

That is the correct setting, lower field first. DV is always LFF, unless you use a Matrox card. HDV is always UFF.

• 4. Re: Exporting video from PPro CS4 to Encore CS4 is jerky
                Live Fantasy Level 1

OK I have left the default settings as they are but still the same bad result...

I have even tested a small portion of the sequence by exporting it using AME. When I import in Encore and preview the video it is still jerky...

I'm gonna try burning it it onto a DVD-RW to see how it plays on TV - maybe Encore is giving me a false picture.

I also saw that after converting MPEG to AVI using AME, the video in PPro has green spots on it - not sure why. But I ignore those since when I export these spots seem to disappear. Maybe this indicates that there's something wrong with my original MPEG, but I doubt it cos they play well when I preview in Bridge.

• 5. Re: Exporting video from PPro CS4 to Encore CS4 is jerky
                  Live Fantasy Level 1

Thanks Harm

The video on TV is OK - it's not jerky as it shows in Encore

Luckily I used PPro to edit, so all I have to do now is to remove all the field dominance that I applied from all the clips and use ADL to update in Encore.

Another lesson learnt: I used Power DVD to test my exported video from PPro and it played OK. So Encore was misleading me.

Cheers & again thanks for your help and advise.

• 6. Re: Exporting video from PPro CS4 to Encore CS4 is jerky
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you got it sorted.

The "Preview" in Encore is just that, an emulation. You method of Burning the DVD RW is the best method to check all aspects of an authored DVD. Besides some of the quality issues you noted, there are also some other "gottchas" in En Preview. One of the most notable is the "black flash," when using Button Transitions, or transitioning from a Play First to a Menu. The emulation is just not perfect. Also, depending on which navigational aids one uses, things can work differently, than with a remote on a set-top player and can trip one up when testing a navigational scheme.

I even find that testing on hardware is preferable to doing so on a software player, unless the delivery is exclusively to a computer and not to a set-top player.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Exporting video from PPro CS4 to Encore CS4 is jerky
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

The jerkiness in Encore can be any number of things, your PC, your video card, your disk setup, other processes running, etc.

If you really need to get to the bottom of this, I suggest your read the following link, follow the included links and possibly report back with the info from the second part on my trouble reporting guide.

Some suggestions