10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2009 8:05 AM by the_wine_snob

Help Selecting an HD Camera

rtprtp Level 1

Hi All,

I am in the market to buy a 3 chip HD camera, tapeless (AVCHD I guess). Has anyone had any experience with such a camera AND editing AND using the AVCHD presets in Elements? I would welcome any feedback or recommendations. My budget is $5,000US tops.

Thanks, Stan

• 2. Re: Help Selecting an HD Camera
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>using AVCHD

Do a forum search for AVCHD

It takes a very powerful computer to edit that format

• 3. Re: Help Selecting an HD Camera
            rtprtp Level 1

John,

I have an Alienware M17 Quad Core 2.0Ghz with DDR3 ram at 4GB, which is like  6 GB at DDR2, and dual 512mb ATI CrossfireX Video/graphics cards. Do you think it will handle AVCHD? I have heard that for best results I should transcode the AVCHD files and not edit in native AVCDH.

Your comments are appreciated.

Thanks, Stan

• 4. Re: Help Selecting an HD Camera
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Stan,

Your CPU and RAM should be fine. What is the setup of your I/O sub-system, i.e. HDD's, size, speed and controller type?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Help Selecting an HD Camera
                rtprtp Level 1

"What is the setup of your I/O sub-system, i.e. HDD's, size, speed and controller type?"

Sorry, but could you spell out your questions a bit more? I don't know what those abreviations are, Yes, I'm a dummy.

Thanks!

• 6. Re: Help Selecting an HD Camera
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Certainly. Tell us about your HDD's (Hard Disk Drives), their size, speed, controller type, i.e. ATA-300, SATA II, RAID 0, etc., and how you have them allocated, i.e. OS and programs, plus Page File on C:\, media on D:\, Projects and Scratch Disks on E:\.

The I/O sub-system can be very, very important for throughput, when doing NLE work, and is very often the bottleneck on otherwise fast systems.

If you would like an ARTICLE on setup, see that link. Harm also did an ARTICLE on computers for NLE work. Both are worth the read.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Help Selecting an HD Camera
                    rtprtp Level 1

Hunt,

- WIndows Vista 64 bit

- RAID 1, 500GB x 2, 7,200 rpm, 16MB cache

Is that good?

• 8. Re: Help Selecting an HD Camera
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Is there a compelling reason for the RAID 1? You do have redundency, but I'd suspect that one would benefit most from having 2 separate physical HDD's and spreading the workload over them. An additional third HDD would allow one to do an even better job of spreading the work. If one wished to benefit from RAID, I'd think that adding two more HDD's in a RAID 0 w/ hardware control as a media drive, expecially for HD material would be the way to go.

This would result in the use of 4 physical HDD's, 1 very fast (can be smaller) OS and programs, with possibly the Page File, 2x larger in RAID 0 for media and probably the Page File, 1 fast and large drive for Projects and Scratch Disks. Many add one more HDD to Export to, or perhaps to use for all Audio Assets.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Help Selecting an HD Camera
                        Ed.Macke Level 3

I would just add that if you're going to use RAID 0, backup of the data on that array becomes even more critical. While RAID 0 increases performance and storage,  it also increases the risk of data loss since if any drive in the array fails the entire array fails.

• 10. Re: Help Selecting an HD Camera
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

I agree. A RAID 0 as a system drive is asking for trouble. Once, when HDD's were smaller, and slower, there was a possible compelling reason for RAID 0 in something other than a fast media drive setup. That is not the case any longer and the problem that you state out-weighs its use as a system drive. Now, most RAID configurations are for speed with backed up files, or redundancy (to include that backup), or both. Drives are fast enough, and large enough, to use a single HDD for system, with no equivocation - still backups are great protection.

I just tore down my only RAID 0 system drive from a specialized computer in my LAN. Though I never had an issue, the potential was just too great, and the need for that original setup had long since disappeared. Better ways to go nowadays.

Hunt