4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2009 2:04 AM by Mylenium

AAE doesnt see all my RAM?

Impulse Fire Level 1

When i start up AAE it says 5% used of 2.0 GB's

when i have 4 Gb's

i thought maybe it they were broken but my directx diagnostic tool shows all 4 gigs

along with my startup screen

soo whats wrong? when im even ram previews it says like 58% used of 2.0 Gb's and i dont know why it cant see the rest

any help?

• 1. Re: AAE doesnt see all my RAM?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> When i start up AAE it says 5% used of 2.0 GB's when i have 4 Gb's

i thought maybe it they were broken but my directx diagnostic tool shows all 4 gigs along with my startup screen

soo whats wrong?

Nothing is wrong. That is just saying that After Effects in its idle state at startup is only using that small amount of RAM.

> when im even ram previews it says like 58% used of 2.0 Gb's and i dont know why it cant see the rest

Why would you always expect 100% of your RAM to be used? There are a lot of other limiting factors in rendering. Maybe the CPUs are maxed; maybe the hard disk speed is maxed reading source footage; maybe the memory bus is maxed transferring rendered frames to the cache...

You might get a better understanding of how the RAM is allocated and used during RAM preview by reading the "RAM and disk cache" page of Help, including the comment that I left there a few weeks ago.

But, really, there's only one number that you should be worried about: How long does it take to render your composition (or work area)? Actually, even that is missing the point, since all that really matters is how productive you are able to be with each unit of time.

Sorry, but I'm just surprised at how many times each week I see someone who is focused on trying to make some arbitrary number or other reach some imagined optimum, rather than asking about how they can do more creative work better or faster.

• 2. Re: AAE doesnt see all my RAM?
            Impulse Fire Level 1

no i wasnt saying i dont know why it isnt 100% maxed out i thought maybe something was wrong if it cant see half of it (sorry)

• 3. Re: AAE doesnt see all my RAM?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Impulse Fire wrote:

i dont know why it cant see the rest

Rest assured that AE sees all your RAM within the limits the operating system dictates. RAM allocation is dynamic, anyway, so outside the options AE offers in its memory and performance panels, there is no way to enforce more RAM consumption. And you wouldn't want it that way, so as long as your operating system doesn't act funky when AE is running, there is nothing to worry about.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: AAE doesnt see all my RAM?
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

from the "Memory usage and storage" page of After Effects Help:

"The operating system imposes certain limits on the amount of memory that an application can use. After Effects on the Mac OS X operating system can use up to 3.5 GB of RAM, although only about 3 GB is actually available to the foreground application, because Mac OS X uses approximately 500 MB to load the user interface libraries. After Effects on 32-bit Windows operating systems can use up to 3 GB of RAM; however, to use more than 2 GB in After Effects, you must configure Windows XP or Windows Vista appropriately.... After Effects on 64-bit Windows operating systems can use up to 4 GB of RAM with no special configuration.

Note: These numbers are for each After Effects process. The background processes used to render multiple frames simultaneously can each use the amount of RAM mentioned above."