5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2009 2:41 PM by Dr PHS

Windows XP crashes after Reader 9 update!

Dr PHS

Last week, one of my PC's died.  I restarted it one day, and after the usual boot sequence and the Windows XP Flag, all I got was a black screen.

I had to restart it to get away from the blank screen, and Windows offered me the option of safe mode, last working configuration, etc...  I tried the last working config, but no improvement.  I remembered the Adobe had been the last update I'd noticed, so I tried to uninstall it in Safe mode, but it reminded me that I can't uninstall in Safe mode.

I finally gave up, backed up any important files, and reinstalled Windows XP (reformatting the drive).  Obviously, you can't live with Reader, so I downloaded it again.  When it updated, it killed XP again!

Does anyone know of a way to uninstall Reader 9.1 or something else in Safe mode?  (since that's the only way I can boot up now)

Also, any idea why this is happening?  It's not a cluttered Registry or anything because the Registry is about as blank as it can be!

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Windows XP crashes after Reader 9 update!
          pwillener Level 8

The only part of Adobe Reader that is run during the startup is Adobe Reader Speed Launcher (reader_sl.exe), via registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.

Try to remove it and see if this fixes the problem.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Windows XP crashes after Reader 9 update!
            Dr PHS Level 1

Thanks for the info.

I ended up doing a system recovery, going back a day or two before I installed Reader.  I installed 8.1 instead, but I still got the same problem.

I've tried 9.1 again, and it seems okay now.

I have no idea what happened there...

• 3. Re: Windows XP crashes after Reader 9 update!
              webwriters

I had exactly the same. Running Reader 8.1 for some months, yesterday I couldn't open a PDF file. Adobe reader 8. error message. I tried to repair it. No luck. downloaded Reader 9, installed and rebooted. My c drive was totalled. A complete day to try and run XP. No chance. Adobe reader killed my XP. Luckily I run a twin drive system so have swapped the C-drive with the E-drive.

In all my years of computing - starting with a ZX81 - i have never had such a disaster.

This is a moajor flaw in Reader 8 or 9. Why does it need to go deep into the OS?

If I can't find a solution, I will have to re-format the drive after  moving all my software to another drive.

Message to Adobe - If it ain't broke don't fix it with yet another bloated version of reader. 

I believe you know about this problem and I suggest you should tell me how to repair my C drive without having to format the whole drive.

not very happy,

yours,

webwriters

• 4. Re: Windows XP crashes after Reader 9 update!
                richjones98

I never heard of Reader doing that, especially since it doesn't tie into too much OS-wise.  What exactly happened?  I wonder if its conflicting with some other software both of you run.

• 5. Re: Windows XP crashes after Reader 9 update!
                  Dr PHS Level 1

I posted that a while ago.  Later on, I decided it might be related to a conflict between Reader 9 and Photoshop Elements 4.0. 

For now, I've been going without Reader so I can use Elements.  I'm going to upgrade to the newer version of Elements.. hopefully that will work.  (I'm also going to upgrade my PC this Fall).

Thanks