6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2009 5:02 PM by Reynolds (Mark)

my mini-changes list

andi_gapp

These are all just tiny things but i think they would make user experience much more smoother:

- i don't understand why PS still uses these clumsy ALT/CRTL - LMB shortcut to zoom in and out. Wouldn't it be much more handy if SPACE + LMB / RMB zoomed in and out ? And a simple SPACE hit zooms to 100 % ?

- MMB on a selections goes into Transform Selection mode, CTRL + MMB goes to Free Transform mode

- SHIFT or CTRL + Mousewheel switches Layer (i don't know which combination changes brush size in CS4 already)

- Color Chooser to offer an icon for 100 % black and white, and 5 or so for the last used colors.

Maybe make it also better accessible on mouse position by bringing it up as long as a certain button is hit (so no OK button then ...). The button could be TAB for example, because holding down TAB for a longer time to cycle through screen modes does't make sense anyway ...

- apply the magic wand tool function to a LMB double click onto a non-selected area

• 1. Re: my mini-changes list
          andi_gapp Level 1

and two more:

- SHIFT + RMB brings up a popup menu with the recently used tools and operations

• 2. Re: my mini-changes list
            Zeno Bokor Level 6

1) the Space Bar is used for the Hand Tool and this will not change anytime soon

2) i'd like having the option to add shortcuts for the middle mouse button along with the 4th and 5th mouse button

3) currently the scroll wheel can be used for zooming in/out. Don't know about the utility of being able to switch between layers with the wheel but then again i'm usually working with 30+ layers. The current shortcuts for this are Alt+[]

4) Press D to get the default foreground/background color swatches (black/white) and X to switch them. As for favorite colors, you have the Swatches panel for that. The Tab key doesn't switch between screen modes, it hides the panels,  the Options Bar and the Toolbox while Shift+Tab hides only the panels

5) The Magic Wand is a bad/old tool, use Select->Color Range instead

• 3. Re: my mini-changes list
              andi_gapp Level 1

1. Yes but the hand tool function is "on hold" (and this should never change) ... this doesn't mean that there can't be some "on hit" function in addition ...

2. also a good idea but i personally would prefer transform functions ... i do that so often that doing it through RMB popup menu becomes nerve-stretching

3. Zooming with scroll wheel should of course also stay as it is, therefore i said layer switching function only when a function button is pressed in addition

4. Hides panels was what i meant with screen mode here ... for TAB it's the same as for 1. ("on hit" - "on hold", different functions possible). sure you can manage favorite colors through swatches but i don't want to add every color i use repeatedly for some time to the swatches ...

• 4. Re: my mini-changes list
                Reynolds (Mark) Level 4
                clumsy ALT/CRTL - LMB shortcut to zoom in and out.

Yes this is much more clumsy on PC than it is on mac. On mac these shortcuts are very intuitive and easy to get hold of. Control + and - will also zoom I think. Also to be honest you need to invest in a wacom tablet. You will find that your work speeds up hugely when you can get around quickly with a tablet.

SHIFT or CTRL + Mousewheel switches Layer (i don't know which combination changes brush size in CS4 already)

I actually like this idea - The idea of being able to switch layers via scroll wheel on a mouse. Makes some kind of sense for those still using the mouse - (It may be possible to customize this using your mouse driver: At the moment alt [ and  alt ]  - left and right bracket change layers. Changing Brush size  - is straight left and right bracket ([ ]) also. In CS4 right click/alt/mouse drag is far and away the best way to resize your brushes.

MMB on a selections goes into Transform Selection mode, CTRL + MMB goes to Free Transform mode

Learn Actions - with a single key you can go into free transform selection

Color Chooser to offer an icon for 100 % black and white, and 5 or so for the last used colors.

Again, learn Actions - with a single key you can set foreground or background to anything you want

• 5. Re: my mini-changes list
                  andi_gapp Level 1
                  MMB on a selections goes into Transform Selection mode, CTRL + MMB goes to Free Transform mode

Learn Actions - with a single key you can go into free transform selection

Yes with a single key one can go to tranform mode, but transform mode is so fundamental, that there should be even a quicker way. If Adobe don't want to use the MMB click for that, another really quick way would be a double click onto a selection -> very handy !

Color Chooser to offer an icon for 100 % black and white, and 5 or so for the last used colors
                  Again, learn Actions - with a single key you can set foreground or background to anything you want

I know that too, but what i wanted to say is that it would be great if there was a possibility to access the color picker on mouse position and just as long as a certain button is pressed. Not like it is now that you have to press a button and than press OK in the color picker again. I hope i could explain understandable what i mean.

• 6. Re: my mini-changes list
                    Reynolds (Mark) Level 4
                    Not like it is now that you have to press a button and than press OK in the color picker again

There is a confugurator panel that will allow you to have a color panel permanently visible.

http://www.anastasiy.com/down/down.php?id=4

but transform mode is so fundamental,

Transform selection is very far from 'fundamental'. Double clicking would create all kind of problems, think about it.