12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2009 4:44 PM by the_wine_snob

Render Nodes

BZF5

We have a 12 seat edit room, all machines Dell Optiplexes with Core 2 Quad processors, running CS3 Master Edition, connected over a gigabit network.  Often, however, only one or two of the machines are being used for editing at a time.  It seems to us that the remaining unused comuters could be more usefully used as render nodes when it comes to render on any of the computers, as they are sitting unused, especially overnight.  Is that possible, and if so, what must be done for it to be enacted?

Many thanks.

• 1. Re: Render Nodes
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Welcome to the forums.

There is no automated way to do this in PPro, but what you could do is use the Project Manager to copy the project and all clips to the computer that will do the exporting, then you can open the project on that machine and perform the export.

This workflow is even better with CS4 because the Adobe Media Encoder is a separate application and can work with batches.

Cheers
          Eddie

• 2. Re: Render Nodes
            BZF5 Level 1

Yes, but does this allow you to render across many machines increasing the speed of the render?

• 3. Re: Render Nodes
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately no. As of CS4, PrPro does not support Render Farms. Maybe for CS5?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Render Nodes
                Eddie Lotter Level 4

As Hunt says, there is currently no render farm capability in Premiere Pro.

Personally I would not count on it being in CS5 either. My gut feeling for this cycle is that a large percentage of Adobe's resources will be spent on making their applications 64 bit. It does make me wonder what features will be added to CS5 to make it a worthwhile upgrade. It's going to be an interesting cycle.

Cheers
                Eddie

• 5. Re: Render Nodes
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would think just going to 64bit would make CS5 a worthy upgrade... but that may be 'cause I'm thinking about building an i7 computer with Win7 64bit next year

• 6. Re: Render Nodes
                    BZF5 Level 1

If they've already made the encoder a standalone app, I would have thought it would be a fairly logical leap to get to multiple computers running the render at once...

Thanks anyway.

• 7. Re: Render Nodes
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>fairly logical leap to get to multiple computers running the render at once

Logical maybe... but programming is NOT going to be easy for something like that

I will guess that CS5 efforts are going to go toward 64bit and Win7 compatibility

If you want render farm... go to http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Added

http://www.cinemacraft.com/eng/cpu.html is a standalone encoder that is supposedly better (and costs more) than the module Adobe uses

No mention at all of multiple computers

I think using multiple computers over a network is what the movie studios use... and that software costs a LOT more than Premiere

• 8. Re: Render Nodes
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Eddie,

I do agree that you are probably correct in this, as it will be a biggie from the coding standpoint. Where I get my speculation is from Adobe attempting to get more of the full-pro market, and gathering info on that. For feature/indie film production, a Render Farm is something that is very beneficial. Much will depend on what Adobe's surveys of that upper-end of the industry tells them. If PrPro would be used by many, if only for that aspect, then it will find its way into new release, but only if the "numbers work" for Adobe. As of CS5, well that was why the "?". Maybe I should have put it in bold.

Now, if CS5 was full 64-bit (I'm guessing that it will be), also offered Render Farm capabilities, but also cost US$3000 for the upgrade, how many of us would jump on it, especially considering the considerable expense in more hardware?

Only time will tell.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Render Nodes
                          Eddie Lotter Level 4

The question mark was perfectly visible. I was just commenting on my thoughts about this issue in CS5.

Cheers
                          Eddie

• 10. Re: Render Nodes
                            BZF5 Level 1

You talk about cost, but look at Newtek Lightwave 3D.  That costs around £500 for a licence, and that natively supports render farms.  Can't be that expensive, and most edit suites would benefit, at least to an extent.

• 11. Re: Render Nodes
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

most edit suites would benefit

I don't have any statistics to back me up, but my hunch is that only a very, very small percentage of Premiere Pro users have a render farm available.  I'd estimate it at 1% or less.  Premiere just isn't in the 'big leagues' like Avid or Lightwave.  (Not that it can't be.  I just get the impression that overall not very many film and broadcast post houses - where you are most likely to find a render farm - actually use Premiere.)

So my guess is such capability would actually benefit only a very small percentage of Premiere Pro users.

Now one could certainly make the argument that render farm capabilities needs to be there for Premiere to step into the 'big leagues', and I'd not argue.  So long as it didn't cause any problems or delay a native 64 bit suite, which actually would benefit a great many Premiere users.

• 12. Re: Render Nodes
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

I have no reason to doubt your "1%" figure, but it's probably not too far off. As with any commercially available product, the target audience must be considered. That's the basis of my earlier comments:

If PrPro would be used by many, if only for that aspect, then it will find its way into new release, but only if the "numbers work" for Adobe.

The "bean counters" will have to become convinced that the cost of development will be justified. Obviously, my question later on, was a a bit

rhetorical, as I have no idea of what it would cost, to code this in. However, whatever the costs, they would have to be justified and recouped somewhere along the way.

I'd use it, but then I have 3 computers sitting idle much of the time. They'd need some upgrades, but I'd quickly do that, should the improvement in Render/Export be greatly improved. OTOH, I just start the workstation and go edit on the laptop, or do PS work on one of the other machines, so all is not lost.

Hunt