7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2009 7:10 AM by the_wine_snob

Where's can I see the in/out point times?

TheOddish

I'm combining lots of clips from different films into one and because the audio levels are different in each clip, I've extracted the audio from the clips, applied mp3gain to them and inserted them into the timeline below the corresponding video clip. Of course I would like to set the in and out points of these audio clips to the same values as the video, but I don't know an easy way to see the in and out point times.

If I double click the video (i.e. open it int the preview window) I can scrub the timeline and see where the in point is, but it's not very precise and I'd like this to be exact.

So, all this just to ask: how can I find out the exact in/out point of a clip in the timeline?

• 1. Re: Where's can I see the in/out point times?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

First, welcome to the forum.

Not sure there is a way to get that data easily, but if there is, someone will soon drop by and educate both of us.

Now, with a slightly different workflow, you should be able to achieve the same thing, without having to re-set In & Out on all of your new Audio Clips. With the Audio Mixer, you can set the Gain for the entire Track (all of the Clips on it) very easily. This Gain rise will hold, even if you swap out Audio Clips, as the Keyframes are attached to the Audio Track, and not the Clips.

One can also Rt-click on Audio Clips and choose Audio Gain, increasing it, as is necessry. If you have many to do, you can set this on the first, Alt-click first to separate the Audio from the Video temporarily,  Rt-click on the Audio and choose Copy. Then, select all other Audio Clips and Rt-click, choosing Paste Attributes.

Either of those might well save you work, though it does seem that you have done a bit of that already.

Good luck, and maybe someone will teach me about those In & Out Points.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Where's can I see the in/out point times?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

I am not sure if I have read your question and what you want correctly. And, I am not sure how you went about the "mp3 gain" application to your audio clips. All that being said, I may have an excellent solution to you....

1. Given you have a video clip which is linked to its audio, and you want to adjust its gain or normalize it.

2. With your video on video track 1 and your audio on audio track 1, hold down the ALT key and click on the clip.

3. Then with your mouse cursor, move the audio portion a short distance to the right away from the video. (Each portion will have an offset number to its top left. One - the other +).

4. Now right click the audio, select Audio Gain, and adjust the dB or click Normalize.

5. Go to the Timeline, highlight both the video portion and the audio portion that are now separated.

6. Right click either one, and select Move Into Sync.

7. The video is now relinked with it audio precisely.

The following is the write up as it appears in the Premiere Elements 7 Help PDF.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremiereElements/7.0/WS21A41563-8714-4f36-BABA-D28E19837C58.ht ml

If that is not what you are looking for, please let me know and I will rethink the goal.

ATR

• 3. Re: Where's can I see the in/out point times?
              TheOddish Level 1

Thanks for the helpful responses. Though from the responses I'm thinking that it's not really necessary to extract and normalize the audio outside of Premiere Elements. Is this correct? Is the normalize function in PE capable of normalizing the audio from all the different clips to a set decibel level if I select all of them and choose "normalize"? What I'm trying to avoid here is to have some clips louder than others so I'd have to keep increasing or decreasing the volume when watching the movie.

• 4. Re: Where's can I see the in/out point times?
                Steve Grisetti-JFIrXo Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The normalize function can only be applied to one clip at a time, unfortunately.

It also bases its audio level on the loudest sound in the clip. So, if you've got whispering and yelling in the same clip, the audio level for the yelling will be set to zero. It applies a single level across each clip. It won't lower the levels for loud things and bring up the volume for quieter things in the same clip.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Where's can I see the in/out point times?
                  TheOddish Level 1

Hmm.... looks like I'm S.O.L then.

• 6. Re: Where's can I see the in/out point times?
                    Steve Grisetti-JFIrXo Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Only if you're looking for a no-brainer, automatic solution.

With Premiere Elements, you can set the individual audio levels down to the frame if you want!

So you can apply Normalize to all of your clips -- and then manually tweak the results, as you could with any professional software.

• 7. Re: Where's can I see the in/out point times?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

For what you are wishing to do, I would strongly recommend using the Audio Mixer. It is great for doing exactly what you want, and will "automate" the changes via Track Keyframes.

I do this as about the very last process in my editing, as I want to make sure that I have all of my cuts set. Actually, any Audio work is at the end of my workflow. Once my edits are visually where and how I want them, I fire up Audio Mixer. If I have several Audio Tracks, such as Narration and Soundtrack, I Mute these, and begin "riding gain," or "potting" as I play the movie and listen very closely with a set of good headphones. As the movie plays, I adjust the Gain to exactly what I want for that entire Audio Track. Because PE lays down Keyframes on the Audio Track, you can go back and basically re-record your changes to a particular area. It's much simpler in PE, than in PrPro's Audio Mixer, though the latter does allow more "power." When I am done with my dialogue Track, I leave it on as a reference, and then un-Mute my Narration, adjusting it as is needed. Last, I'll leave both of those on and address the Soundtrack the same way. Once done, you can then play the whole thing with the Audio Mixer open and watch the "pot" for the Gain move in each Audio Track automatically.

The main reason for doing this as the last step in the editing workflow is because the Keyframes are on the Audio Track(s) and NOT on the Clips. If you go to edit the Clips, changing their Duration, etc., you would need to clear your Track Keyframes and start over, or the adjustments will no longer be correct.

This is basically how it's done in Hollywood.

Good luck, and don't forget a good set of headphones to really be able to listen closely. I don't work with a lot of meter settings, other than watching out for Clipping, but instead listen to the piece and to my changes to it.

Hunt