26 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2009 2:19 PM by Techtronic

Adobe Reader 9.1.2 Update Failure

chip_old

On a Macintosh iMac, Intel processor, Mac OS 10.5.7, when I try to update Adobe Reader 9.1.1 to Adobe Reader 9.1.2 (CPSID_49166) the update fails with the following error message:

"The patch has failed because the application has been modified since it was originally installed (for example, plug-ins may have been disabled).

Please go to the Adobe website for more information regarding how to re-enable componants prior to installing the patch. Or, you can uninstall and reinstall the application, and then reinstall the patch."

I haven't found anything related to this in Adobe support, and I see no way in Adobe Reader to enable/disable plug ins.

I have deleted the application and everything I could find related to it in the Application Support and Library folders. Then downloaded and reinstalled 9.1.1. Then ran the updater again. It failed with the same error message.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.2 Update Failure
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Try using Applejack or Onyx to empty your user cache. You can also try to fix permissions.

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.2 Update Failure
            sck_nogas

I tried deleting all caches in Onyx, fixed permissions, and still get this error.

Any other suggestions? I can download 9.1, patch to 9.1.1 but the patch to 9.1.2 fails.

Scott

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.2 Update Failure
              chip_old Level 1

Used Onyx to clear caches and repair permissions as suggested, but the update from 9.1.1 to 9.1.2 still fails with that same error message.

• 4. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.2 Update Failure
                chip_old Level 1

Installed and used AppleJack, but still no joy. The update still fails with the same error message.

• 5. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.2 Update Failure
                  alan_thurman

I have had the exact same experience on my brand new 2009 Mac Mini with OS 10.5.7.  I have installed, deleted, trashed cache & preferences etc... and come up with the same error trying to update to the 9.1.2 version each time.  BTW, I did NOT modify the plug-ins as it implies.  Furthermore, not only is it annoying that it will not update properly on a freshly installed OS, but it is further annoying that when one downloads the application from the website that it does not give you the latest version anyway.  Why should I have to update a fresh install?

Adobe, are you listening?

• 6. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.2 Update Failure
                    sck_nogas Level 1

Has anyone actually gotten this to work with the suggestions in this thread? Or am I one of the few people that still have this issue? I forwarded this thread off to a colleague at Adobe to see if this issue can be resolved.

Scott

• 7. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.2 Update Failure
                      alan_thurman Level 1

I still have the issue on my Mini, but not on my older MacBook Pro.? I wish they would fix it!

As I said in my post, it sucks that I cannot update to correct the security flaws, but it also sucks that the version one downloads is not the current version anyway.

• 8. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.2 Update Failure
                        brewster1134

same exact problem with my new MacBook Pro.

• 9. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.2 Update Failure
                          michaelspringfield

Yup... Same exact problem on a brand new MacBook Air with a clean install. No problems on a 3 year old MacBook Pro.

How about a response from someone from Adobe!?

• 10. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.2 Update Failure
                            chip_old Level 1

The same update failure occurs with 9.1.3. Apparently I'm stuck at 9.1.1 until a new major release is available for download. I am not pleased!

• 11. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.2 Update Failure
                              Techtronic Level 1

http://www.ccleaner.com/   Have you tried doing the update with firewalls and antivirus software turned off??? This seems to be the biggest issue when I try updates.. Security softwre will not allow install of other security updates...Odd as it may seem, it worked for me....I also use The above program to clean up Registry and Cache...It is a FREE Program with no strings attached....They give you an option for donations but you are not obligated in any way...Many free programs, including Recovery, as well as others listed on site...

Best wishes...

• 12. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.2 Update Failure
                                chip_old Level 1

CCleaner is a Windows cache and Registry clearer, so won't do anything useful on the Mac OS machines we are talking about. However I and others here have used Onyx and/or AppleJack, which serve a similar function on Mac OS. See earlier posts. Still no joy. Updates beyond 9.11 will not install.

• 13. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.2 Update Failure
                                  Techtronic Level 1

http://download.cnet.com/Adobe-Reader/3000-10743_4-10000062.html

I am not that familiar with MAC OSs...

You will probably have to Uninstall all Instances of Adobe and then do a Registry and Cache Clean-up..After that Re-Install Adobe and use the Help Tab in the Adobe Reader Program...There is a Drop Down Menu that has UPDATE in it...

This seems to be the only way to update without failure and error messages..

If you are Getting a Pop-up message for updates DO NOT USE THAT METHOD....

ALWAYS use the Adobe Program and the HELP tab....This method has worked for several people already..

I was having these issues with XP-SP3....If you have AIR from NOSSO, This seems to be the Major Contributor to Update Issues...

I think they have some sort of SPYWARE included in it..

The above Link is where I got my Adobe from..It is Free and has Flash Player etc.   Just AVOID the AIR Version.."ADOBE INTERNET READER"

It is a Culprit...

BEST OF LUCK

• 14. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.2 Update Failure (also for 9.1.3)
                                    alan_thurman Level 1

I am still having the same updating problem updating the 9.1 software to 9.1.2 or 9.1.3 with the message (see attachment) on Mac OS 10.5.7 on my Mac Mini 2009 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo but not on my older Macbook Pro (not unibody).  I still say that Adobe should allow users to download the latest patched software, not download an outdated insecure buggy product and then hope that the users are able to update it.  In my case, my Mac Mini remains unpatched.  I am not happy.  Then again, it is the free Adobe Reader software, so I guess I got what I paid for it.  I am very reluctant to purchase Adobe products based on how well they do in supporting the ubiquitous Reader software.

Adobe, are you listening?

• 15. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.2 Update Failure
                                      WBC_printer

Having the same issue with 9.1.3. I'm running a Mac Pro OS 10.5.7. I haven't changed anything either. I tried a complete re-install but that's a ridiculous solution.

• 16. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.2 Update Failure
                                        kona cer

The bottom line

Adobe only supports Adobe Reader on Mac OS 10.4.11 - 10.5.6. That just boggles the mind.  10.5.8 is now the current Mac revision.  Maybe somebody running 10.5.6 and take a turn with Adobe Tech Support.  The update for Adobe Reader 9.0 to 9.1.1 works, but the update to 9.1.2 fails, as will any attempt to update to 9.1.3

I spent about two hours on the phone with various support entities at Adobe.  I even got transferred to a company that makes picture boxes for the display of insects (<sigh> had to start the whole process over).

Per the support rep's instructions,

1. I tried the two remedies in tech note kb407621.  No Joy
                                        2. I also downloaded the "CS3 Clean Script" and ran it three times at level 2 and three times at level 4 (run it three times in case 'rm -rf' does not work the first time????) to completly remove any Adobe products from the system.

In the end the support rep said he could not help me. The escalation engineers do not work on the free products (ie Adobe Reader) and we tried all the remedies he could find in tech notes.  He suggested disabling updates so that I would no longer get notifications of Adobe updates.

The support rep insists there is some permissions problem on a file that blocks the update.

My Mac is not new and I'm not willing to do a fresh install of the whole box.  If the owner of the Mac Mini who experienced this problem truely had a fresh Mac, then this attitude by Adobe is very disturbing.

Further information:

The following line was found in /var/log/system.log:

...[0x0-0x74074].com.adobe.UpdateInstaller[1718]: cksum: \
                                        /Applications/Adobe Reader 9/Adobe Reader.app/Contents\
                                        /Frameworks/AuthplayLib.bundle/Contents/Info.plist: \
                                        No such file or directory

Since there are spaces in the pathname and the file exists as far as I can tell, looks like somebody forgot to quote the pathname in some script.  I looked for the script, but did not quickly find an answer.

• 17. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.2 Update Failure
                                          AdobeUpdateMac

Turns out that someone in Adobe was extremely sloppy with the case of file names.  Here's the solution (if your Mac hard disk is not set to case-sensitive, then you shouldn't have any problem installing the updates without making these changes):

9.1.1 update should install fine

In order to install 9.1.2 update you need to rename the following folders (case matters)

/Applications/Adobe Reader 9/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/Frameworks/AuthPlayLib.bundle -> Authplaylib.bundle ('P' -> 'p')

/Applications/Adobe Reader 9/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/Plug-ins/AcroForm.acroplugin -> Acroform.acroplugin ('F' -> 'f')

/Applications/Adobe Reader 9/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/Plug-ins/EScript.acroplugin -> Escript.acroplugin ('S' -> 's')

After 9.1.2 update has been installed, you'll want to rename Authplaylib.bundle back to AuthPlayLib.bundle (since this is the name that the 9.1.3 update uses).  If you want to install the updates incrementally (which I did) then download and install them individually (google AdbeRdrUpd911_all_i386.dmg, AdbeRdrUpd912_all_i386.dmg, and AdbeRdrUpd913_all_i386.dmg to find the files you need on Adobe's website).

Once you have updated to 9.1.3 then you can rename Acroform.acroplugin back to AcroForm.acroplugin and Escript.acroplugin back to EScript.acroplugin if you want to, or you can leave them as is (who knows whether Adobe will repeat these mistakes in future updates).  If a similar problem occurs in future updates, then you can figure out what file/folder names Adobe is screwing up by looking in Utilities->console.  This program will show you logs which describe why the updates are failing.  Since I could figure it out, it's pretty obvious that nobody at Adobe spent any time trying to fix this problem.

Finally, I've already wasted far too much time on this and I'm not a regular in these forums, so unfortunately I won't be able to respond to question.

Hope this helps.

• 18. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.2 Update Failure
                                            Techtronic Level 1

Turns out that someone in Adobe was extremely sloppy with the case of file

names.  Here's the solution (if your Mac hard disk is not set to case-sensitive,

then you shouldn't have any problem installing the updates without making these

changes):

9.1.1 update should install fine

In order to install 9.1.2 update you need to rename the following folders (case

matters)

/Applications/Adobe Reader 9/Adobe

Reader.app/Contents/Frameworks/AuthPlayLib.bundle -> Authplaylib.bundle ('P' ->

'p')

Reader.app/Contents/Plug-ins/AcroForm.acroplugin -> Acroform.acroplugin ('F' ->

'f')

Reader.app/Contents/Plug-ins/EScript.acroplugin -> Escript.acroplugin ('S' ->

's')

After 9.1.2 update has been installed, you'll want to rename Authplaylib.bundle

back to AuthPlayLib.bundle (since this is the name that the 9.1.3 update

uses).  If you want to install the updates incrementally (which I did) then

download and install them individually (google AdbeRdrUpd911_all_i386.dmg,

AdbeRdrUpd912_all_i386.dmg, and AdbeRdrUpd913_all_i386.dmg to find the files you

need on Adobe's website).

Hope this helps.---- kona cer <forums@adobe.com> wrote:

h3. The bottom line

Adobe only supports Adobe Reader on http://http://www.adobe.com/products/reader/systemreqs/#90mac. That just boggles the mind.  10.5.8 is now the current Mac revision.  Maybe somebody running 10.5.6 and take a turn with Adobe Tech Support.  The update for Adobe Reader 9.0 to 9.1.1 works, but the update to 9.1.2 fails, as will any attempt to update to 9.1.3

I spent about two hours on the phone with various support entities at Adobe.  I even got transferred to a company that makes picture boxes for the display of insects (<sigh> had to start the whole process over).

Per the support rep's instructions,

1. I tried the two remedies in tech note kb407621.  No Joy

2. I also downloaded the "CS3 Clean Script" and ran it three times at level 2 and three times at level 4 (run it three times in case 'rm -rf' does not work the first time????) to completly remove any Adobe products from the system.

In the end the support rep said he could not help me. The escalation engineers do not work on the free products (ie Adobe Reader) and we tried all the remedies he could find in tech notes.  He suggested disabling updates so that I would no longer get notifications of Adobe updates.

The support rep insists there is some permissions problem on a file that blocks the update.

My Mac is not new and I'm not willing to do a fresh install of the whole box.  If the owner of the Mac Mini who experienced this problem truely had a fresh Mac, then this attitude by Adobe is very disturbing.

h3. Further information:

The following line was found in /var/log/system.log:

...[0x0-0x74074].com.adobe.UpdateInstaller[1718]: cksum: /Applications/Adobe Reader 9/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/Frameworks/AuthplayLib.bundle/Contents/Info.plist: No such file or directory

Since there are spaces in the pathname and the file exists as far as I can tell, looks like somebody forgot to quote the pathname in some script.  I looked for the script, but did not quickly find an answer.

>

• 19. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.2 Update Failure
                                              kona cer Level 1

AdobeUpdateMac (a.k.a Techtronic),

You are too fast!  I had just figured out the same thing and was about to login to report.  Instead of renaming the directories, I symlinked them so that both versions of the directory name are available.  I'm leaving the symlinks in.  Don't know if that will be a problem in the future.

• 20. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.2 Update Failure
                                                sck_nogas Level 1

Another solution...

1. Create a 500MB Case-sensitive DMG and mount it
                                                2. Copy "/Applications/Adobe Reader 9" to the DMG
                                                3. Run the updaters manually and point it to the version in the DMG
                                                4. When finished, copy the "Adobe Reader 9" folder from the DMG back to /Applications
                                                5. Submit a bug report

Scott

• 21. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.2 Update Failure
                                                  Techtronic Level 1

Turns out that someone in Adobe was extremely sloppy with the case of file names.  Here's the solution (if your Mac hard disk is not set to case-sensitive, then you shouldn't have any problem installing the updates.   9.1.1 update should install fine   In order to install 9.1.2 update you need to rename the following folders (case matters) /Applications/Adobe Reader 9/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/Frameworks/AuthPlayLib.bundle -> Authplaylib.bundle ('P' -> 'p') /Applications/Adobe Reader 9/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/Plug-ins/AcroForm.acroplugin -> Acroform.acroplugin ('F' -> 'f') /Applications/Adobe Reader 9/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/Plug-ins/EScript.acroplugin -> Escript.acroplugin ('S' -> 's')   After 9.1.2 update has been installed, you'll want to rename Authplaylib.bundle back to AuthPlayLib.bundle (since this is the name that the 9.1.3 update uses).  If you want to install the updates incrementally (which I did) then download and install them individually (google AdbeRdrUpd911_all_i386.dmg, AdbeRdrUpd912_all_i386.dmg, and AdbeRdrUpd913_all_i386.dmg to find the files you need on Adobe's website).   .     Hope this helps.

• 22. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.2 Update Failure
                                                    Techtronic Level 1

9.1.1 update should install fine   In order to install 9.1.2 update you need to rename the following folders (case matters) /Applications/Adobe Reader 9/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/Frameworks/AuthPlayLib.bundle -> Authplaylib.bundle ('P' -> 'p') /Applications/Adobe Reader 9/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/Plug-ins/AcroForm.acroplugin -> Acroform.acroplugin ('F' -> 'f') /Applications/Adobe Reader 9/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/Plug-ins/EScript.acroplugin -> Escript.acroplugin ('S' -> 's')   After 9.1.2 update has been installed, you'll want to rename Authplaylib.bundle back to AuthPlayLib.bundle (since this is the name that the 9.1.3 update uses).  If you want to install the updates incrementally (which I did) then download and install them individually (google AdbeRdrUpd911_all_i386.dmg, AdbeRdrUpd912_all_i386.dmg, and AdbeRdrUpd913_all_i386.dmg to find the files you need on Adobe's website).       Hope this helps.

• 23. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.2 Update Failure
                                                      Techtronic Level 1

9.1.1 update should install fine   In order to install 9.1.2 update you need to rename the following folders (case matters) /Applications/Adobe Reader 9/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/Frameworks/AuthPlayLib.bundle -> Authplaylib.bundle ('P' -> 'p') /Applications/Adobe Reader 9/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/Plug-ins/AcroForm.acroplugin -> Acroform.acroplugin ('F' -> 'f') /Applications/Adobe Reader 9/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/Plug-ins/EScript.acroplugin -> Escript.acroplugin ('S' -> 's')   After 9.1.2 update has been installed, you'll want to rename Authplaylib.bundle back to AuthPlayLib.bundle (since this is the name that the 9.1.3 update uses).  If you want to install the updates incrementally (which I did) then download and install them individually (google AdbeRdrUpd911_all_i386.dmg, AdbeRdrUpd912_all_i386.dmg, and AdbeRdrUpd913_all_i386.dmg to find the files you need on Adobe's website).   .     Hope this helps.

• 24. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.2 Update Failure
                                                        Techtronic Level 1

9.1.1 update should install fine   In order to install 9.1.2 update you need to rename the following folders (case matters) /Applications/Adobe Reader 9/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/Frameworks/AuthPlayLib.bundle -> Authplaylib.bundle ('P' -> 'p') /Applications/Adobe Reader 9/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/Plug-ins/AcroForm.acroplugin -> Acroform.acroplugin ('F' -> 'f') /Applications/Adobe Reader 9/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/Plug-ins/EScript.acroplugin -> Escript.acroplugin ('S' -> 's')   After 9.1.2 update has been installed, you'll want to rename Authplaylib.bundle back to AuthPlayLib.bundle (since this is the name that the 9.1.3 update uses).  If you want to install the updates incrementally (which I did) then download and install them individually (google AdbeRdrUpd911_all_i386.dmg, AdbeRdrUpd912_all_i386.dmg, and AdbeRdrUpd913_all_i386.dmg to find the files you need on Adobe's website).       Hope this helps.

• 25. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.2 Update Failure
                                                          Techtronic Level 1

9.1.1 update should install fine   In order to install 9.1.2 update you need to rename the following folders (case matters) /Applications/Adobe Reader 9/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/Frameworks/AuthPlayLib.bundle -> Authplaylib.bundle ('P' -> 'p') /Applications/Adobe Reader 9/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/Plug-ins/AcroForm.acroplugin -> Acroform.acroplugin ('F' -> 'f') /Applications/Adobe Reader 9/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/Plug-ins/EScript.acroplugin -> Escript.acroplugin ('S' -> 's')   After 9.1.2 update has been installed, you'll want to rename Authplaylib.bundle back to AuthPlayLib.bundle (since this is the name that the 9.1.3 update uses).  If you want to install the updates incrementally (which I did) then download and install them individually (google AdbeRdrUpd911_all_i386.dmg, AdbeRdrUpd912_all_i386.dmg, and AdbeRdrUpd913_all_i386.dmg to find the files you need on Adobe's website).     Hope this helps.

• 26. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.2 Update Failure
                                                            Techtronic Level 1

The File names are Case sensitive....   9.1.1 update should install fine   In order to install 9.1.2 update you need to rename the following folders (case matters) /Applications/Adobe Reader 9/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/Frameworks/AuthPlayLib.bundle -> Authplaylib.bundle ('P' -> 'p') /Applications/Adobe Reader 9/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/Plug-ins/AcroForm.acroplugin -> Acroform.acroplugin ('F' -> 'f') /Applications/Adobe Reader 9/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/Plug-ins/EScript.acroplugin -> Escript.acroplugin ('S' -> 's')   After 9.1.2 update has been installed, you'll want to rename Authplaylib.bundle back to AuthPlayLib.bundle (since this is the name that the 9.1.3 update uses).  If you want to install the updates incrementally (which I did) then download and install them individually (google AdbeRdrUpd911_all_i386.dmg, AdbeRdrUpd912_all_i386.dmg, and AdbeRdrUpd913_all_i386.dmg to find the files you need on Adobe's website).       Hope this helps.