9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2009 8:44 AM by the_wine_snob

    Need the technical term or name

    Zero Graves

      I haven't been able to find the technical phrase or name of the process that takes a video and plays it forward and then plays it in reverse. As an example, A man taking off his clothes in the first five second, but the next five seconds the video is run in reverse giving the appearence he is putting them back on. Additionally, does Pro have this feature and where is it located if so?

        • 1. Re: Need the technical term or name
          Harm Millaard Level 7

          I'm not aware that there is a term for it, but that well be my lack of expertise in English.


          I don't know if this helps, but the way to do this easily it put the clip in the timeline, put a 2-nd instance of the clip next to it on the timeline, right click the 2-nd clip, select Speed/Duration and either enter -100 or tick Reverse Speed.

          • 2. Re: Need the technical term or name
            Zero Graves Level 1

            Definately the correct process, and if I was going to name the term my self I'd call it "video reversal". However, I'll leave this open for the time being incase there is a name for it, but thanks.

            • 3. Re: Need the technical term or name
              Eddie Lotter Level 4

              In PPro, the term is "time remapping".

              See Vary changes to speed or direction with Time Remapping in the PPro Help.

              See also these tutorials.


              • 4. Re: Need the technical term or name
                Harm Millaard Level 7

                Time remapping is a different beast altogether. It allows gradual speed changes, but reversal is exactly that, it does not change the speed, just reverse the clip.

                • 5. Re: Need the technical term or name
                  Curt Wrigley Level 4

                  It is an editing technique called Palindrone.  Its pretty common time effect and is very easily done with the time remapping tool.


                  From Help:



                  Play a clip backward, then forward

                  1. In a Timeline panel, click the Clip Effect menu and choose Time Remapping > Speed. (The Clip Effect menu appears next to the filename of every clip in a video track. Zoom in, if necessary, to make enough room in the clip to display the menu.)

                    A horizontal rubber band that controls the speed of the clip appears across the center of the clip. The clip is shaded in contrasting colors above and below the 100% speed demarcation. A white speed control track appears in the upper portion of the clip, just below the clip title bar.

                  2. Ctrl-click (Windows) or Command-click (Mac OS) on the rubber band to create a speed keyframe .
                  3. Ctrl-drag (Windows) or Command-drag (Mac OS) a speed keyframe (both halves) to the place where you want the backward motion to end. A tool tip shows the speed as a negative percentage of the original speed. The Program monitor displays two panes: the static frame where you initiated the drag, and a dynamically updating frame that reverse playback returns to before switching to forward speed. When you release the mouse button to end the drag, an additional segment is added for the forward playback portion. The new segment has the same duration as the segment you created. An additional speed keyframe is placed at the end of this second segment. Left-pointing angle brackets  appear in the speed-control track, indicating the section of the clip playing in reverse.
                    The segment plays backward at full speed from the first keyframe to the second. Then, it plays forward at full speed from the second to the third keyframe. Finally, it returns to the frame at which the backward motion began. This effect is called a palindrome reverse.


                  Though these text instructions look complex, its really dragging one speed keyframe with control down.  Its very simple.


                  Its demonstrated nicely in this adobe tutorial at around 4:10





                  • 6. Re: Need the technical term or name
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

                    A nice example of this is your video of your two cats. Don't have the Vimeo link any longer.


                    As for an official name, I cannot recall ever having heard one for the technique.


                    Maybe I'll learn a new "word" today, but then I'll have to use it 25x..




                    [Edit] Curt, thanks. Just like the word "wow" - "the same forwards and backwards." Would never thought to apply it for this, but it now makes perfect sense. At least I can use it 25x and not have to bore those around me with video terms. Now, off to tell mom and dad and each little tot.

                    • 7. Re: Need the technical term or name
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

                      This is the link: http://vimeo.com/1954849

                      but it was done in the way described in my first post, not with time remapping.

                      • 8. Re: Need the technical term or name
                        Harm Millaard Level 7



                        Your knowledge again surpasses that of Google! clap.gif

                        • 9. Re: Need the technical term or name
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

                          Yes, that is the one that I recalled. The "Dancing Partners" segment is what I think the OP is looking for, and Curt supplied the official name.