3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2009 7:00 AM by michael.varnell

upodating from reader V6

arejfour Level 1

My sister has a 5 year old Dell running Celeron with 256 MB RAM. She's running Reader V6.03. I don't believe she's ever updated Reader. I'd like

to bring her current with Reader V9. Will I be able just to install V9 into her system without doing any prep work? I've never had to update something so out of dae. Any guidance would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: upodating from reader V6
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What OS is she using? For any modern OS, I would upgrade the RAM before trying to install new software. 256 MB was too tiny for any serious work with Windows XP or later. If she is running Windows 98SE or Windows Millenium I would not bother to upgrade the RAM, Reader or the version of Windows. Its would be time for a new machine.

• 2. Re: upodating from reader V6
            arejfour Level 1

Thanks for the reply. She's running XP. The computer is about 5 yrs old. I suggested that she get more memory, at least 1-2GB

• 3. Re: upodating from reader V6
              michael.varnell Level 2

Version 9.x Reader will uninstall versions 6-8 before it installs 9 automatically without any intervention on your part. Thankfully Adobe "wised up" after version 5. Version 5 or older require manual uninstall prior to installing the latest Reader.

Good luck with the RAM upgrade - make sure to find out the maximum amount and type of RAM the system can handle from the manufacturer!

Hope this helps.

Michael