13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2009 4:35 AM by BigSky21

Cannot file, save as in Adobe Reader 9.1.2

BigSky21 Level 1

I currently access my electricity and gas bill online and both of these are always displayed in pdf format.  Unfortunately, since updating to reader 9.1.2, I am no longer able to see the toolbar menu, normally above the picture icon toolbar menu, so the File, Save As option is not visible.  Therefore, I can no longer save my electricity and gas bills to my PC but instead can only print them which is slightly defeating the whole object of having my bills online!  Can anyone explain why I am not able to see the File, Save As option at all?  I have asked my Electricity and Gas provider and they tell me that they can see it fine at their end.  They are currently using Adobe Reader version 7.

• 1. Re: Cannot file, save as in Adobe Reader 9.1.2
          Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try key F8 or F9 or Shift+Ctrl+S.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Cannot file, save as in Adobe Reader 9.1.2
            BigSky21 Level 1

Thank you very much for your response but unfortunately none of the suggested solutions have worked.  When pressing F8 then F8 again, the picture icon toolbar toggles between not being shown and then being shown again so no Save options appear.  When pressing F9, nothing happens at all.  When pressing Ctrl+Shift+S an adobe message appears in the middle of the screen stating the following "This document does not allow you to save any changes you have made to it unless you are using Adobe Acrobat 9, Pro 9 or Pro Extended 9.  You will only be saving a copy of the original document.  Do you want to continue?"  It then prompts you with "OK" or "Cancel".  Upon pressing "OK" absolutely nothing happens.   I have seen this type of message many times before when trying to save pdf files and it has successfully saved the file but for some reason nothing happens in this version of adobe reader.  Do you have any other thoughts at all as to how to solve this?

• 3. Re: Cannot file, save as in Adobe Reader 9.1.2
              Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do you have any other thoughts at all as to how to solve this?

Use Adobe Reader 7 or buy Adobe Acrobat 9.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Cannot file, save as in Adobe Reader 9.1.2
                BigSky21 Level 1

I was afraid you might say that!

As I don't really want to buy a product, is it possible to download version 7 from the adobe website as I tried to look for it but couldn't see that it was available?

• 5. Re: Cannot file, save as in Adobe Reader 9.1.2
                  madmoneygee

I had the same problem and tried the Shift-Ctrl-S and received the same message (about not being able to make changes), I clicked Okay and then I was given the option to browse to where I wanted to save (just as if I had clicked on the Save key that I had on Adobe Reader 8).

I cancelled saving the document because I just wanted to see if the Shift-Ctrl-S worked and the Save key appeared on the toolbar.

• 6. Re: Cannot file, save as in Adobe Reader 9.1.2
                    ccwill

I had the same problem with 9.1.2 - didn't know why the save icon suddenly disappeared from the toolbar. Ctrl-Shift-S worked for me - file saved and I confirmed that it is there and contains the document. Thanks to all for posting the problem and the solution.

• 7. Re: Cannot file, save as in Adobe Reader 9.1.2
                      john-ca

Goto to Tools pull-down menu and choose Customize Toolbars.  Scroll down to the File Toolbar, click the box next to the Save icon and then click OK.

• 8. Re: Cannot file, save as in Adobe Reader 9.1.2
                        BigSky21 Level 1

It would seem as if I have a problem saving pdf files just within one particular site, i.e. my Gas and Electricity online bills!!  I have no idea why this would be but all the recommended work arounds like shift-ctrl-S work fine in other sites but absolutely nothing happens within this one particular site.  No message comes up or a pop up box, just absolutely nothing!!

At least I now know several work-arounds for other sites where I hit a problem so I'm grateful for that.

• 9. Re: Cannot file, save as in Adobe Reader 9.1.2
                          BigSky21 Level 1

Thanks for this. Unfortunately, despite adding the Save As option to my toolbar, it just doesn't work within this one particular site, as stated in my previous posting.  It is very annoying indeed!  However, I have worked out one option that appears to work and that is to use the File, Send email to option.  This way, I get the pdf file as an attachment which I can then save!  Hurrah!  Long winded, I know, but at least its something.

• 10. Re: Cannot file, save as in Adobe Reader 9.1.2

Hi,

I am dealing with Verizon bills and ran into the same problem as you. Adobe reader does not support saving files. I am using Microsoft Office 2003, which has the software do change the PDF file into simple text, and that's the only way that I can save it, by clicking "save as text". Believe me I have tried everything else. Another way is to purchase Acrobat (But install on another computer, because they don't recommend installing both on the same computer) which is about $299.00, but people say that it is not working all the time. Good luck!  Zippy.

• 11. Re: Cannot file, save as in Adobe Reader 9.1.2
                              BigSky21 Level 1

Thanks for letting me know another alternative solution.  Always handy.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that this particular problem is happening to.  I was beginning to think I was the only one!

• 12. Re: Cannot file, save as in Adobe Reader 9.1.2
                                moirty

Try using Firefox on the same computer or IE on another computer. Firefox worked for me.

There are numerous reports of this problem but I've not seen an explicit solution. This problem appears to be an interactive issue between Adobe Reader and IE. Could prehaps try uninstalling and reinstalling Adobe 9 but I'm not too hopeful about that. I'm guessing the problem is actually on the IE side.

-bs

• 13. Re: Cannot file, save as in Adobe Reader 9.1.2
                                  BigSky21 Level 1

Thanks for another great helpful tip.  It works! I really should use firefox more often as it doesn't seem to have anywhere near the amount of issues that IE has.