7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2008 6:15 PM by Newsgroup_User

Formatting Links

Rock_Artist
      I am finishing up my first web page and in the process of formatting my links to define their appearance in a:link, a:hover and a:active. I created new CSS rules for each and even created a new external style sheet for them. When I check it out in my browser, the a:hover is doing what it is supposed to and the a:active is doing what it's supposed to but the a:link state (when you are just looking at the page with none of the states in use, I assume is set at a default state, which makes the link text blue. That's not going to work for me and I want it to remain a certain color #e8e8e8. Does anyone know how to change this?

Thanks, Julie
        • 1. Re: Formatting Links
          Level 7
          .oO(Rock Artist)

>I am finishing up my first web page and in the process of formatting my links
          >to define their appearance in a:link, a:hover and a:active. I created new CSS
          >rules for each and even created a new external style sheet for them. When I
          >check it out in my browser, the a:hover is doing what it is supposed to and the
          >a:active is doing what it's supposed to but the a:link state (when you are just
          >looking at the page with none of the states in use, I assume is set at a
          >default state, which makes the link text blue. That's not going to work for me
          >and I want it to remain a certain color #e8e8e8. Does anyone know how to change
          >this?

Not without seeing it in action. Please post a URL.

But given your description above, maybe it's just a missing a:visited?

Micha
          • 2. Re: Formatting Links
            Level 7
            You realize that the a:active pseudo-class is only visible when you click
            and hold the mouse down, right?

> Does anyone know how to change
            > this?

Certainly - you define a color for a:visited.

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            ==================

"Rock Artist" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:gb0vpc$9s3$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >I am finishing up my first web page and in the process of formatting my
            >links
            > to define their appearance in a:link, a:hover and a:active. I created new
            > CSS
            > rules for each and even created a new external style sheet for them. When
            > I
            > check it out in my browser, the a:hover is doing what it is supposed to
            > and the
            > a:active is doing what it's supposed to but the a:link state (when you are
            > just
            > looking at the page with none of the states in use, I assume is set at a
            > default state, which makes the link text blue. That's not going to work
            > for me
            > and I want it to remain a certain color #e8e8e8. Does anyone know how to
            > change
            > this?
            >
            > Thanks, Julie
            >

• 3. Re: Formatting Links
              Level 7
              And don't forget they musted listed in this order:
              link
              visited
              hover
              active

news:gb0vpc$9s3$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > I am finishing up my first web page and in the process of formatting my
              links
              > to define their appearance in a:link, a:hover and a:active. I created new
              CSS
              > rules for each and even created a new external style sheet for them. When
              I
              > check it out in my browser, the a:hover is doing what it is supposed to
              and the
              > a:active is doing what it's supposed to but the a:link state (when you are
              just
              > looking at the page with none of the states in use, I assume is set at a
              > default state, which makes the link text blue. That's not going to work
              for me
              > and I want it to remain a certain color #e8e8e8. Does anyone know how to
              change
              > this?
              >
              > Thanks, Julie
              >

• 4. Re: Formatting Links
                Rock_Artist Level 1
                You realize that the a:active pseudo-class is only visible when you click
                and hold the mouse down, right?

a:active looks fine

> Does anyone know how to change
                > this?

Certainly - you define a color for a:visited.

did that

The problem I am having is, on my footer, on my page in DW I have a webmaster text link with the color #e8e8e8 (almost white) and it should look that way in a browser but it doesn't, it is blue in the browser.

By the way, it is not online yet, I am working out link and email bugs on my dummy site first.
                • 5. Re: Formatting Links
                  Level 7
                  So, when you get it online, post a link so we can see your code.

--
                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                  ==================
                  http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  ==================

news:gb15sh$gtl$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > You realize that the a:active pseudo-class is only visible when you click
                  > and hold the mouse down, right?
                  >
                  > a:active looks fine
                  >
                  > > Does anyone know how to change
                  > > this?
                  >
                  > Certainly - you define a color for a:visited.
                  >
                  > did that
                  >
                  > The problem I am having is, on my footer, on my page in DW I have a
                  > webmaster
                  > text link with the color #e8e8e8 (almost white) and it should look that
                  > way in
                  > a browser but it doesn't, it is blue in the browser.
                  >
                  > By the way, it is not online yet, I am working out link and email bugs on
                  > my
                  > dummy site first.
                  >

• 6. Formatting Links
                    Rock_Artist Level 1
                    So, when you get it online, post a link so we can see your code.

Thanks, I will.
                    OK, somehow, miraculously the colors to the links in my browser view are working properly. Why the color of the link text in my DW page changed from my #e8e8e8 (off white) to blue on "webmaster" and color black on "disclaimer" baffles me.

The "|" character by the way is between the two text links "webmaster" and "disclaimer", like this:
                    webmaster | disclaimer

But now, when I look at it in browser view, my links are all their proper colors in all states but the "|" pipe character is black and it is supposed to be the off white color #e8e8e8. This is weird.
                    • 7. Re: Formatting Links
                      Level 7
                      Without a link to your site, we can only take your word for the symptoms you
                      see. Can't help much. Only guess.

With a link, you'll receive quick and accurate answers which will remove the
                      mystery and you will no longer be baffled or see weird behaviour.

--
                      Regards

John Waller