10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2009 9:30 PM by Wade_Zimmerman

Not enough memory...

SarcasticFem

When trying to print, I'm getting the message "Not enough memory was available or an object was too complex. Reducing the size of this document window may help." I'm using CS4 on a G5 with 4gb of memory. The file is basic, no photos or gradients, just a business card with type and a solid color area. I tried reducing the document window, but that didn't make a difference. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Not enough memory...
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Well clearly eliminating the background color and the text should do the trick! Duh!

I would suspect something wrong with a font and the font data base, font cache or the settings folder

so in that case Trash the settings folder the Adobe Illustrator CS4 Settings folder in your User's Preferences

• 2. Re: Not enough memory...
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

As Wade said, there's a 90% likelihood this is related to a "bad" font. Either it's poorly designed and has lots of scattered small shapes, open paths and such, or the internal data structure is damaged. Happens a lot with "free" fonts... Try to find better replacmenet font. Might even be a time to learn how easy life can be with well-designed commercial fonts...

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Not enough memory...
              Skullmaker Level 3

Hello SarcasticFem,

Nothing to do with your design, skills, what kind of pet you have, or if your computer is facing north. Nope! The truth,the whole truth and nothing but the truth is the Nasty CS4's Memory Bug.

Your computer can have 1000000000000000000000GB of memory and if your try to print a dot you will still get the same message. Mac or PC it does not matter.

You are not alone:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/458237?tstart=0

I made a promise to buy CS4 if Adobe provides the update to fix all these critical bugs plus the annoying "Icon Preview" bug (if Acrobat, Bridge, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc. can do it why not illustrator?), and so far I think I am saving for CS5 (coming soon).

Fact: The last update for Adobe Illustrator was on 09/04/2007 (ALMOST 3 YEARS AGO!).

Can anyone tell me when the update for CS4 will be release?

• 4. Re: Not enough memory...
                [scott] Level 6

How is this a "bug" What steps can I use to reproduce the problem on my Mac?

I've never had a single memory error running CS2, CS3, or CS4.

• 5. Re: Not enough memory...
                  Skullmaker Level 3

Hello Scott,

I am glad to hear that you are not experiencing this very serious bug.

Let me give you a very simple sample. I never did have problems installing CS3, but it is a big problem with the installers of CS3 and CS4.

How do I know?, well John Nack (Principal Product Manager, Adobe Photoshop) said it:

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2008/12/notes_from_installer_mgmt.html#more

So did you have problems installing your CS3 or CS4? If not, good for you! But the problem is real and still exist. They will fix the installers only for CS5, even is you buy CS4 today, you may have problems installing the program.

So if you do not have the Critical Memory Bug, be very happy, because Adobe is not providing updates for illustrator since 09/04/2007 (ALMOST 3 YEARS AGO!).

You are very lucky Scott!

• 6. Re: Not enough memory...
                    [scott] Level 6

Issues with installers aren't application bugs really. Installers are completely separate applications unto themselves.

I still don't see how I can reproduce the issue.

• 7. Re: Not enough memory...
                      Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Scott meet Hans. He is a craftsman and artist like yourself and 

pleasantly crazy as well.

• 8. Re: Not enough memory...
                        Skullmaker Level 3

The installer is one simple sample of the many Serious Bugs that came with CS4.

ScottWeichert wrote:

Issues with installers aren't application bugs really.

FYI: A software bug is the common term used to describe an error, flaw, mistake, failure, or fault in a computer program that prevents it from behaving as intended (e.g., producing an incorrect or unexpected result). Most bugs arise from mistakes and errors made by people in either a program's source code or its design, and a few are caused by compilers producing incorrect code.

Can you offer a solution for this Critical Memory Bug?

If no, do not worry, the new CS5 will be release on April 2010 I think. But do not expect any updates for Illustrator, it is almost time for you to buy the "update CS5"

• 9. Re: Not enough memory...
                          Skullmaker Level 3

Hello Wade!,

Have you seen my pills? I do not remember if "with the meal" or "before the meal"?

• 10. Re: Not enough memory...
                            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I sold them! Made a good piece of cash.