5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2009 6:14 PM by the_wine_snob

Need Suggestions On Organising A Music Video

Suntower Level 1

Hi,

I'm new to this, coming from the audio multi-track world. For my first 'real' video I'm trying to do a music video. Over the years, everyone with a DAW develops a methodology for organising the large number of 'clips'. At first I thought the metaphor between a DAW and PP was similar, but unfortunately it ain't. In every DAW you can easily 'solo' any track (or any clip) as you work. Also, there isn't the 'precedence' that PP has where the highest # track is visible but everything else is not. So you kind of have to plan ahead in a different way when deciding what's going to be visible and where.

I started with the idea of having each track be like a DAW song---each would be one continuous take. I'd simply 'enable/disable' as I went, creating sub-clips from each main take. But as the video gets more complicated, this is impossible to work with. You need to be able to move clips up/down the heirarchy all the time to give them the proper 'precedence' (what's on top of what).

And then there's the naming issue. I failed to pre-name each of my MPGs when I began so they all have helpful names (not!) like 2009061503221.MPG which doesn't help determining what's what in the sequence monitor.

Sorry for the long-windedness. What I want are some suggestions on how more experienced people pre-organize (or tidy up as they go) to edit such a project. How do you name things? Keep track of precedence? Easily manage large #s of clips? Etc. Etc. Etc.

Tips? Traps? Suggested Tutorials?

TIA!

---JC

• 1. Re: Need Suggestions On Organising A Music Video
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          And then there's the naming issue. I failed to pre-name each of my MPGs when I began so they all have helpful names (not!) like 2009061503221.MPG which doesn't help determining what's what in the sequence monitor.

You can rename the Clips in the Project Panel and in the Timeline. I use Rt-click>Rename. As your Sub-clips are basically links in an XML database, this will NOT change the name of your media on your system, only the name that appears on the Timeline and the Project Panel.

As for your Tracks and their order, maybe I'm just not following you. You can Rename each Track, to suit. This is something that I always do, whether it's a simple edit (Audio 1 becomes "AVI Audio"), or a 30 Track Project, with specific instruments, or treatments on those instruments. Since I'm on a dual-monitor setup, I have plenty of real estate to expand my Timeline vertically to see almost everything. I also expand the Track Headers, horizontally, so that I can read their titles. You can also vertically expand your individual Tracks, if that helps see things a bit more clearly. The little "handle" to do so is sometimes a "pixel-search," if one has a higher-rez monitor, but if you look for the little lines with double-facing arrows, you know you've hit it.

If the exact order of the Tracks is not to suit, one can create new ones, where desired, name them as necessary and then drag the Clips from the "offending Track." What you cannot do is physically drag one Track to be above/below another, but by altering the layout with Add/Delete Tracks, it's not all that bad. Note: you can do the same for the Video Tracks, and I do this as well.

I'm just probably not realizing the issue, so don't hesitate to disregard everything above, and help me see more clearly, just what you are looking for.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Need Suggestions On Organising A Music Video
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As for the organizational aspect, I keep things in Bins and then a ton of Sub-Bins (is that the proper term?). Normally, I have the Project Panel cascaded, but about full monitor size, on my second monitor, so I just click its corner to see the structure, twirling open and closed, the Bins that I need at that moment. Might be something like Titles>Credits>Animated, or Titles>Still Images>Horizontal, or Vertical, etc.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Need Suggestions On Organising A Music Video
              buraihan Level 1

I create a timeline called "Edit" and another one called "Selects". I put all my raw footage in the Selects timeline and then hack it to pieces there, leaving only the good shots. Then I copy and paste the good shots as and when I need them from Selects, to Edit, to create my edit. Sometimes in the Selects timeline I move shots that have been used (put into the Edit timeline) to the end of the timeline, so that it's easy to see which shots have and havent been used.

If you are doing a music video, I imagine you'd have 2 or 3 story threads right? (band shots in a studio, then maybe a separate story thread). I'd create a "Selects" timeline for each different kind of footage to keep each timeline clear.

• 4. Re: Need Suggestions On Organising A Music Video
                Suntower Level 1

Thanks.

I obviously got a LOT to learn. I'm just using one sequence. Maybe it's because I'm using a single monitor, but I haven't yet experimented with using multiple sequences or timelines.

I also don't get the advantages of using bins (yet).

Again, I think it's because I'm just constantly SQUEEZED for screen space so I'm reluctant to add even more elements to the mix.

In the DAW world, you can have any number of 'tracks' playing at the same time---all side by side. In -video-, you have this 'precedence' thing where one image is on top of another so -order- is important. I guess I'd expected there would be an 'order' menu as in Photshop where you could instantly move things on top of or below one another. And there ain't. At the very least, I thought there's be a way to move tracks up/down so that you could change their precedence -without- having to drag dozens of clips about... like you can with Layers in PS or InDesign.

Also, I find Premiere -extremely mouse intensive. In most DAWs, you have a keystroke for virtually -everything-. There are hundreds to learn, but once you do? You almost never have to take your fingers off the keyboard. It seems like -most- things in Premiere, require mousing about which is a complete change to me.

Finally (ranting away) in every DAW you can play back -while- editing. You can have the music scroll by as you edit one spot and then hit a key and have the scroll go to the current position and edit -there-. IOW: You can edit 'on the fly'. But Premiere STOPS whenever you change -anything-. And you can't be looking at something at one point in the video and then press a button and have the screen move to that position.

Sorry. This lack of screen space is killing me today.

---JC

• 5. Re: Need Suggestions On Organising A Music Video
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  I also don't get the advantages of using bins (yet).

It's about first, organization, and second (helps with a single monitor) the view. Because you can twirl up (close) the Bins, that are not in use, and then twirl down (expand) the ones that you are working on. This can allow one to see exactly what they need at the moment, without monopolizing screen real estate.

In the DAW world, you can have any number of 'tracks' playing at the same time---all side by side. In -video-, you have this 'precedence' thing where one image is on top of another so -order- is important. I guess I'd expected there would be an 'order' menu as in Photshop where you could instantly move things on top of or below one another. And there ain't. At the very least, I thought there's be a way to move tracks up/down so that you could change their precedence -without- having to drag dozens of clips about... like you can with Layers in PS or InDesign.

The prescedence is set when one populates the various Video Tracks, from the Project Panel. If one changes their mind, it's really simple to move a Clip to a higher Track, or to even create one, where needed, should the rest be populated already. I touched on the steps for doing that earlier on, but do not hesitate to ask, in case I was not clear. I have had a few instances where I would have liked to have a way to juxtapose Tracks, but the manual way is not as bad as it might sound, when reading. Also, look into Grouping Clips/Tracks and also ways to Select multiple Clips. One can move a lot very easily, when they are comfortable dealing with multiple Clips on multiple Tracks. It's not totally unlike some DAW setups, and once you get the hang of the interface, its strengths and weaknesses, you'll soon be working in PrPro, like you Audio programs. Yes, there are going to be some differences, but that is because you also have Video that you are editing.

in every DAW you can play back -while- editing. You can have the music scroll by as you edit one spot and then hit a key and have the scroll go to the current position and edit -there-. IOW: You can edit 'on the fly'. But Premiere STOPS whenever you change -anything-. And you can't be looking at something at one point in the video and then press a button and have the screen move to that position.

That is actually by design. With the exception of the Audio Mixer, little in an NLE is done "on the fly." Things are done when the Video is paused, so PrPro pauses, when you hit a key. It assumes that you want to edit the Video at that point. These edits need to take place with the CTI stopped. About the only thing (other than that Audio Mixer) that is in real time is the addition of Markers to the Timeline with the * key on the numeric pad. This is often used to mark the beats in the music, but can be used for other aspects of Video editing too, like where you'd like cuts, or insertions.

It'll take you a bit of time. After a Project, or two, you'll be right at home. Now, I came to this from editing film so very long ago. When I got into Video editing, it was through a "big button" program, and I cound not do a thing that I wanted. When I discovered PrPro, it was like all of my dreams come true. It is not perfect and a few good features have fallen away, because enough people either complained, or wanted something different. Still, it's very good, when you get used to it. Just be patient and remember that now you are also editing Video, and not just the Audio.

Hunt