I placed it on the time line and when I play it I get color bars

???????

Any Ideas

Thanks

Dennis

• 2. Re: Color Bars play instead of Black Video
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is odd, are you sure you made a black video

Can you place a screendump of the timeline with the black video and the option 'show frames'. I am very curious.

• 3. Re: Color Bars play instead of Black Video
            MaxDBWP Level 1

Hi

Here is a pic of the time line.As you can see I have Bars ans tone then a countdown then black video then the start of the program. All works as it should but the black video it shows color bars

Thanks

Dennis

TIMELINE3.jpg

• 4. Re: Color Bars play instead of Black Video
              the_wine_snob Level 9

This is a new one on me. As a test, can you replace your initial Color Bars with Black Video?

Also, when you Dbl-click on the Black Video in the Project Panel, what does the Source Monitor show?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Color Bars play instead of Black Video
                MaxDBWP Level 1

I replaced the Bars and Tone with Black video and it plaed Color Bars. When I Dbl-clicked the black video in the project window it plays black video in the preview monitor. I dragged the black video from the preview window and got color bars on the time line.

This is weird I have used premiere since 2000 and this is the weirdest think I have seen.

I am thinking it might be something to dso with the Martrox RTX2 HD card.

Thanks

Dennis

• 6. Re: Color Bars play instead of Black Video
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, odd behavior, indeed. You didn't just watch a DVD of Poltergeist on this computer did you?

I've seen some strange things, like a single frame of a Clip, several Clips back, that sudden appeared, when trying to edit MPEG-2's, but this takes the cake.

It show correctly in the Source Monitor (and I'd guess in the little monitor in the Project Panel), but displays Color Bars, when placed onto the Timeline. It does this, even when you replace the initial Color Bars with another instance of the Black Video. Wee-o, wee-o...

OK, one more idea. Go to the Project Panel and delete that Black Video. You'll get a message about it being used. Create a new one, and try it.

In lieu of that, create a new Sequence, and do not use any Color Bars, just the Black Video. What happens then?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Color Bars play instead of Black Video
                    MaxDBWP Level 1

Hi

This is a strange one!!  I removed all black video. I opened a new Sequence and made a new black video and dropped it on the Time Line and what did I get? Color Bars!

So I imported some old black video that I had output before I had up graded to CS4 that was .avi video. I dropped it on the time line and I got Black Video.

I added the bars and tone again at the head and it still works right.

This is weird.

Dennis

• 8. Re: Color Bars play instead of Black Video
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Dennis,

The only thing even remotely like this is some problems that QT has with "synthetic" Video, like Black Video and Transparent Video, but nothing like what you are getting.

So I imported some old black video that I had output before I had up graded to CS4 that was .avi video. I dropped it on the time line and I got Black Video.

This was basically the solution to the QT issues - Export the "synthetic Video" as the proper format/CODEC for the Project and all was good - still, we're talking Rendering/Transcoding issues, and not Color Bars there. In those cases, it was the lack of synthetic Video, and was not version-specific. Once this material was Exported to Video, it worked fine. While this could get your Project finished, there has got to be some reason for what you're seeing. You should be able to Export from a Sequence, the Black Video to match your Project Presets and then Import that .AVI, etc., into the Project, to replace the synthetic Video. I do not think that you'll have any problem doing this from a Sequence in CS4, or you could use the old material.

I'm thinking, but can't come up with any new tests to make you run. Thanks for trying the stuff I've thrown at you, and sorry that we're not any closer to the cause, than when you posted.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Color Bars play instead of Black Video
                        MaxDBWP Level 1

Hi

Thanks for the help. For now I will just use the old black, black is black after all. My guess is that maybe because I have not up graded the Matrox tools to 4.1 yet that might fix it but I am under the gun on a big project so I don't want to mess with that till I am done.

By the way you wouldn't have an idea about why I get sound cliches on the time line but not when I play the same clip in preview? So far it only happened with in the area I did some time re mapping of the video. I wouldn't think that would mess with the audio track but CS4 is all new to me I only started useing it 5 days ago.

Thanks again

Dennis

• 10. Re: Color Bars play instead of Black Video
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Uh oh, "better get Matrox... " I did not realize that Matrox figured into the system. There is a beta for Matorx Tools (new one should be coming out very soon) for PrPro 4.1. I hope that it will fix this issue.

Until then, I'd just use the Exported Black Video.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Color Bars play instead of Black Video
                            MaxDBWP Level 1

I called Matrox and yes it is a bug with the RTX2. I installed the new 4.1 tools and that DID NOT fix it so I guess it will be with me for awhile.The funny thing is the whole bug is that Color Bars go black and black goes Color Bars. In my machine I only get the Black to Color, gee I only have 1/2 a bug well I guess that better than the whole bug!

• 12. Re: Color Bars play instead of Black Video
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Dang! I thought that the Matrox Tools beta/update would fix your issue. Not sure that 1/2 a Bug is better than a full Bug, but maybe Matrox is close. I hope that you reported to Matrox, in case they are still in Beta. Maybe they are close, and will get closer with the final release, if they have not gotten to the release point yet.

Good luck, and I will admit that you had me thinking on this one,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Color Bars play instead of Black Video