8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2009 9:23 PM by Jim_Simon

Filter differences between PC and Mac versions

Admiral Cook Level 1

I know there was such questions earlier but I'm not sure if Adobe ever explained why some filters are not included in Mac version of Premiere Pro, nor confirmed that they are (not) working on it?

Any news about this?

• 1. Re: Filter differences between PC and Mac versions
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I assume that you are referring to the Effects, shipped/installed as Functional Content. I was not aware that there were differences.

I believe that the Premiere Wiki has a list of all included Effects, per version #, and would only guess that these are for the PC. Maybe if you list which ones are missing on the Mac, someone can see a possible reason, such as they are basically 3rd party Effects that are included, but might be available for the PC only. Though not as common as a few years ago, there are still a lot of developers, who only write for one platform and not the other.

Do you know of any specific Effects that are missing?

Good luck, and you taught me something, just by asking the question,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Filter differences between PC and Mac versions
            Admiral Cook Level 1

I hope you are not joking?

Premiere CS4 Transitions: Windows --- Mac

precs4tr_win.png precs4tr_mac.png

Premiere CS4 Video Effects: Windows --- Mac

precs4ft_win.png precs4ft_mac.png

• 3. Re: Filter differences between PC and Mac versions
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, just so I'm not headed in the wrong direction, the three images comprise what - your list of Transitions & Effects on your Mac, or the list of these for both Windows and Mac? I'm assuming that these are screen-caps of the Effects Panel on your Mac, right, and, what you want is a comparison between what installs on a PC? If that is the case, one should be able to open your list in a viewer and compare it to what is on their PC with the default CS4 installation.

Want to make sure that we're comparing Apples to "apples," so to speak.

Hunt

[Edit] No, the above isn't a correct assumption. I see that there are some differences in two of the PNG's, that should be showing the same thing, I think. Which one is Mac, and which one PC? One list does have several additional elements of similar Effects, i.e. more choices. I now believe that I am confused on which platofrm each of the PNG's represents.

[Edit 2] OK, I think I've got it. In the four PNG's, the first in each category is the Windows and the next is the Mac. Then there are some elements missing, as you suspected. Why? I have no idea, and considering what is missing from the Mac, it does not make clear sense to me why the Mac would not have those - they look pretty benign and not at all Windows specialized.

Sorry it took me so long to "get it." I needed my second cup of coffee. Maybe someone with both platforms can see the missing Effects and will know immediately that there would be a problem with those on a Mac vs PC. I do not see anything that looks PC-specific.

• 4. Re: Filter differences between PC and Mac versions
                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, I would guess that the GPU Transitions might be missing from the Mac, because of the differences in the way that graphics are handled. Still, others, like Dither Dissolve, Non-Additive Dissolve and Random Invert, don't seem that difficult for a Mac to handle, but maybe I'm wrong. In the Effects, the Blur & Sharpen is the first area that differs, and Antialias, Camera Blur, Fast Blur, etc., do not make sense to me. Obviously, there are more differences farther down your lists.

If anything, I would have assumed that Mac's would likely have more Transitions and Effects, than would a PC.

I see exatly what you mean, but I cannot come up with any reason for this disparity, apart from maybe the GPU elements. Hope that others will know the reasons.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Filter differences between PC and Mac versions
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  Then there are some elements missing. Why? I have no idea.

Because Adobe knows that PC users are the smarter and they want to reward us for choosing the better computer platform? 

• 6. Re: Filter differences between PC and Mac versions
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

I actually put in the line "Apples to apples," just for you. Now, we both know that Steve Jobs is your houseguest at your Summer home in Aspen this month. Share a good bottle of wine with him, just for me. Actually, the Plum Creek Cab Franc from just over the hill in Palisade, CO would be a good one, especially if it's got a few years on it. Their 2002 should be drinking fine right now. I've had a few of these that aged up to 15 years, and that is something special for a Colorado wine.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Filter differences between PC and Mac versions
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

To your post,

I hope you are not joking?

I had overlooked this question, as I was focused on the lists. No. I was not joking. I had no idea of the differences. I expected a very few missing Transitions and Effects, such as the GPU-centric ones, and was floored by the differences. I only hope that someone with some "inside knowledge" will drop by the thread, 'cause I can only speculate, and not with a great deal of education on the matter.

Now, you do know that I am joking with Jim. We all know that his Summer home is in Vail, and not Aspen, and that Steve J. has been staying there for months, due to health issues.

I hope that someone can shed some light on this and give us all some reason for it (other than Jim's interjection).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Filter differences between PC and Mac versions
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        we both know that Steve Jobs is your houseguest at your Summer home in Aspen this month.

Dude...what the hell!  No one was supposed to know that.  After all, I'm a PC.