8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2009 10:23 PM by Philnolan_3d

Setting markers while playing

Philnolan_3d Level 1

When using Speed Edit, to make a music video for example, I can drop the music onto the timeline then play it.  While it's playing I tap a key (M I think) to the beat of the music and it sets markers on the time line, which I can later use for aligning my video clips.  I find it's even easier to do this if I close my eyes.  Is there some way to do this in Premiere?

• 1. Re: Setting markers while playing
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, use the * key on the numeric keypad.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Setting markers while playing
            Philnolan_3d Level 1

Thank you.  I don't suppose it can automatically drop videos into the timeline edited to those markers?

• 3. Re: Setting markers while playing
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Never tried it, but I think Aotimate to Sequence has that as an option.

• 4. Re: Setting markers while playing
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Brings up a good point. Let's think about this for a moment. For a Timeline to play, it needs something to play. If you have the Audio on one, or more Audio Tracks for the full Duration of that Audio, you are mostly there. All you will need will be the Markers, and a Video Track to put the Clips on. You can then adjust their Duration/In & Out Points, to line up to the next Marker. Then, drop in the next Clip and repeat.

If you have any problems with playback with just the Audio Track(s), and you should not, you could always just stick in some Black, or Transparent Video and stretch it out to "cover" the Audio portion. Many, who use the asterix key for beats, or to mark passages, do so with their eyes closed, so they only hear, and do not even bother with the Waveform Disply, though some do like to see that - personal tastes.

Exactly how effectively this will work for you will likely depend on your exact Assets.

Should work fine. Let us know if you have any issues with it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Setting markers while playing
                  Philnolan_3d Level 1

I was just asking to see if Prem. can do of the things SE does.  In SE you load up all of your clips and audio, drop the audio on the timeline, do the "tap tot he beat" thing, then like 3 clicks in a wizard and it dumps all the clips on to the timeline, cut according to the markers.  It's not perfect by far but maybe a really quick and dirty way to do like a wedding video or something where you have a ton of footage.  Then of course you can always rearrange the clips afterwards.

• 6. Re: Setting markers while playing
                    shooternz Level 6

I dont get it and I am wondering how this automating clips works (in SE).

Other have informed you that you can set timeline markers on the roll with the Premiere short cut key (numeric keypad - "*")

So you set the markers to the beat and they happen to be around 3 seconds apart (for example).

So if the clips are continuous roll (eg 2 minutes long) or longer than 3 seconds...what gets automated to the markers?

• 7. Re: Setting markers while playing
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I would presume the first three seconds of each clip.  But like I said, I've never tried it.

• 8. Re: Setting markers while playing
                        Philnolan_3d Level 1

Yes, if there's a 3 second gap between markers then you'll just get the first 3 seconds of each video clip.  Which is one of the reasons why it's far from perfect, but of course you can go in and tweak them after the automated part.  If you watch the first video here they show it in action at about 3:15. (the video opens in Media Player).

http://www.newtek.com/speededit/tutorials/index.php