5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2009 8:54 AM by JBrown321

looping playback is funky

JBrown321 Level 1

On occasion I will set an in and out in the timeline and set my playback to loop to check out an edit and or part of a shot,  however I have noticed in CS4 the playback is very stuttery and can even loop the playback in different speeds. Normal playback is fine. Anyone else having this issue?

Vista Ultimate 64

Intel core i7 920

12 gigs DDR3 ram

Geforce 285

2 WD velociraptors raid 0

asus p6t deluxe V2

• 1. Re: looping playback is funky
          the_wine_snob Level 9

As playback is very heavily dependent on I/O, I'd look at your HDD setup for this. Though you have 2 very fast HDD's and they are in a RAID 0, there can be a lot of read/write going on with what the OS sees as one HDD.

I'd also bet that you can increase playback performance if you eliminate many of the Proecesses, that are likely also running on your system.

Ideally, if a RAID is used, it is better suited as a media drive, and not the system drive.

Harm Millard has an excellent ARTICLE on setting up one's I/O sub-system for NLE work. He also has an ARTICLE on setting up one's 64-bit OS for performance, that might be of use also.

There should be some tips in each of those.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: looping playback is funky
            JBrown321 Level 1

Thanks for the help.  Any specific processes I should look at turning off? I also forgot to mention that my OS is on a seperate drive and the raid is just setup for media, my project file is saved on 2 mirrored drives as raid1.

• 3. Re: looping playback is funky
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Tried it in a HDV project and it loops fine. No problems at all. As Bill pointed out, it may be your disk setup that has trouble of keeping up with things. Do not forget that your disks, even though pretty quick, will rapidly show decreased performance as your fill rate goes up. On an empty disk you may achieve a transfer rate of around 170 MB/s, but when your raid0 is 60% filled, it will have dropped down significantly.

Ideally HD Tach results should look like this on the long test, but will usually not be achieved other than in very rare circumstances.

Areca_HDTach1.jpg

You could try to see what your results are and post here. It may give an indication whether the disk setup is at fault here.

• 4. Re: looping playback is funky
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Post a screenshot from Process Explorer. You can find it here:

Sysinternal Utilities

• 5. Re: looping playback is funky
                  JBrown321 Level 1

Thanks Guys.  I am actually at work now but I am surely going to try this when I get home later  and post an image.