4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2009 11:47 AM by MM Developer

Premiere Newbie - Making DVD - Filesize Issues

MM Developer

I own a Hauppauge HD-PVR capture device which records video in a .M2TS format. I have one of these recordings (1hr of footage) which totals 6.4gb. Using the bundled ArcSoft Media Converter, it converted to a .MP4 file totalling 3.5gb.

I'm very new to video editing (today was the first time I've ever opened Premier OR Encore) so I'm probably just doing this totally wrong.

1. I create a new project in Premiere, set it to 1920x1080i (resolution of original capture) @ 29.97fps

2. I do my edits, basically just using the "Razor Tool" to cut out the parts I dont want in the result

3. I go to File -> Export -> Media

4. I'm not sure what settings to choose here so this is what I chose:

- Format: H.264

- Preset: HDTV 1080p 29.97 High Quality

Now here is where I see an issue. The estimated file size of the result is 13.4gb which obviously wont fit on a standard DVD. Now if I choose

- Format: MPEG2

- Preset: HDTV 1080p 29.97 High Quality

the estimated filesize is 6.5gb which obviously still wont fit on a standard DVD. Even choosing a "HDTV 720p 29.97 High Quality" preset, the estimated filesize is 4.4gb which is still an "estimated" issue.

How in the world do I take a 1hr 1920x1080 recording and put it on a DVD? Do I have to use a Dual Layer DVD? If so, is that standard, like, will any regular DVD player play it? I dont own or have access to a Blu-Ray burner.

Am I forced to take any 1080 recording and severely reduce the quality to some 460p to make it fit on a DVD? How do they put HD movies on DVD?