4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2009 9:58 AM by Mylenium

Adobe illustrator memory issues

atcarson

Hi

I have a customer who is using Adobe Creative suite CS2. She has been using it for a couple of years quite happily but recently we upgraded her to windows vista business.

After a re-install of adobe creative suite illustrator keeps coming up with the following error:

Untitled.jpg

(if you can't see it it says theres not enough RAM)

There is 2GB of RAM in the system and without any other programs open it is using just under 1GB of RAM.

Would it be advisable updating the RAM to maybe 4GB, or is is it a bug in Vista or Illustrator?

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Adobe illustrator memory issues
          Harron K. Appleman Level 4

Many users have reported difficulties running Illustrator version 12 (CS2) and prior on Windows Vista. Try this:

Go to the Illustrator install folder in Windows Explorer. Right-click on the Illustrator EXE file, choose properties, click the compatibility tab, and then select...

Disable Visual Themes
          Disable Desktop Composition
          Disable display scaling on high DPI settings

You might additionally have to select and set compatibility mode for Windows XP.

• 2. Re: Adobe illustrator memory issues
            atcarson Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

I wil try that, but would you recommend upgrading to a newer version to run more smootly on windows vista?

Cheers

• 3. Re: Adobe illustrator memory issues
              Harron K. Appleman Level 4

I'm not qualified to answer that. I expect others here with AI 13/14-Vista experience will jump in any moment now.

• 4. Re: Adobe illustrator memory issues
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

It's a compatibility issue, but a sporadic one at that. Sometimes legacy apps go looking for specific versions of DLLs that long have been surpassed by newer ones and then they can't find the correct memory address offsets. As to why it happens is unclear and seems to depend on what updates and specific extra components are on the system. If the issue cannot be resolved with compatibility mode, you may try hunting for the Microsoft Visual C redistributable packages (MSVC70 and up) and .NET runtime 1.1. Just download the full standalone installers and run them. if all of the components are already on your system, nothing will happen, if not, some bits and pieces should be installed. This may possibly fix the problems you experience...

Mylenium