14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2009 9:39 AM by PrismaLight

Adjusting starting offset for brush or dashing

angelamyers

I am trying to make a dashed boundary that is a 3mm, 1mm, 3mm,1mm, 20mm, 1mm.   On the 3mm dashes there is a center cross tick that is 1mm long.  I have tried to construct this by having two strokes and treating the tick as a dashed line.  However, the dash for the tic always starts at the beginning of the line and it needs to be in the center of the 3mm dash.  If there was one more dash, gap option in the stroke panel this would not be a problem as I could just start the first 3mm dash in the center.

Is there anyway to get more dashes and gaps in a stroke or a way to start a dashed line with a gap instead of a dash (if I just key-in 0mm for the first dash I get a small sliver of a line anyway at the start).  Or is there another to construct this that I am not considering?

• 1. Re: Adjusting starting offset for brush or dashing
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

How about in the appearance panel adding a white stoke and making it a dash to the weight of the tic mark and making the setting for that dash stroke so that the tick mark falls where you want it?

Like this:

Picture 10.png

• 2. Re: Adjusting starting offset for brush or dashing
            angelamyers Level 1

Unfortunately that will not work.  This dashed line crosses over several other features of various other colors.

However, your suggestion inspired me to actually contruct the main dashed line with two different strokes one for the long dash and one for the short dashes (1.6, 1, 3, 22,1.4, 0 and 1.6, 5, 20, 1, 1.4, 0).  The tics are another stroke with a weight of 1 and dashing of .25, 3.75, .25, 24.7.  This appears to work, although it would be nice if adobe did have the option to offset the start of the dashes from the beginning of the line (would also be nice for scatter brushes as well)

• 3. Re: Adjusting starting offset for brush or dashing
              Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Angela,

After creating the original dashed path, W being  the apparent weight of the tick mark, you may:

1) Create a copy of the path with a Stroke weight the length of the tick marks,

2) Direct Select the starting Anchor Point and move it (3mm-W)

3) Dash the copy path with the following 4 values, corresponding to the 6 alues of the original path:

Dash/Gap/Dash/Gap: W/(4mm-W)/W/(25-W).

Depending on the way you create the border, there may be a adjustment at the end of the path, if open.

• 4. Re: Adjusting starting offset for brush or dashing
                PrismaLight Level 1

Alternatively, you could draw the 3mm-3mm-20mm lines, space them 1mm apart, add a dot with no stroke 1mm to the right of the 20mm line, add the ticks in the center of the 3mm lines, then define all that as a custom pattern brush, with Stretch To Fit chosen in the Fit options. This will work for your boundary so long as the spacing and length of the lines is not absolutely critical. Or, if there is any leeway in the shape of the boundary, you could choose Approximate Path in the Fit options.

Coincidentally, and not meaning to change the topic, I am having a somewhat similar problem in that I need to make a line that is 12pt dash - 4 gap - dot - 4 gap - dot - 4 gap - dot - 4 gap (dash-dot-dot-dot), and I resorted to making a custom brush because there were not enough dash-gaps available. The problem is there are no fit options for the custom brush that will maintain the correct 12pt dash length and the 4pt gap. I don't want the pattern stretched and I do need for it to follow the line exactly - I'd prefer that the pattern was maintained but not completed at the end of any given line.

Any ideas, and do I need to start a new thread for this?

• 5. Re: Adjusting starting offset for brush or dashing
                  angelamyers Level 1

Similar to your problem my spacing has to be exact, so a custom brush does not work.  However, I think the solution I am using will work for you as well.  Can your dashes have rounded endcaps?  If so draw a dashed line 12pt dash, 16pt gap with rounded endcaps.  In the appearance panel add a new stroke.  Give this stroke a 0pt dash with 4pt gap, also with rounded endcaps.

If your dash has to have butt endcaps you will need to adjust your gaps to account for this and possibly divide the dots into 3 different strokes to keep it from giving the dash an appearance of rounded endcaps.

dashed line1.JPG

• 6. Re: Adjusting starting offset for brush or dashing
                    PrismaLight Level 1

That is an excellent solution and I guess I will use it.... It only has one drawback and that is that I had decided to make the dots a slightly heavier line weight than the dashes (8pt dots, 6pt dashes), and this won't work with the extra stroke because the 8pt dots will show behind the 6pt dash, but I could have done it that way with the custom brush, if only it wouldn't alter the spacing. (I can't add another blocking dashed white line stroke between the two other strokes, either.) At least it maintains the correct spacing, though - thanks!

• 7. Re: Adjusting starting offset for brush or dashing
                      angelamyers Level 1

Is this more of what you are looking for?

dashed line.JPG

For the orange dots (8pt) use a dashing of 0, 12, 0, 12, 0, 28

For the black dasheds (6pt) use a dashing of 0, 32, 12, 8

This will allow you to have butt endcaps on the dashes and gives you an exact 4pt spacing between the dots.

• 8. Re: Adjusting starting offset for brush or dashing
                        Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I must have missed something when did we go from tick marks to dots?

If the Op is changing what they want as we go about this then there is 

something wrong with the thread not with any of the suggestions.

• 9. Re: Adjusting starting offset for brush or dashing
                          angelamyers Level 1

The original issue with the tics was solved in a slightly different way than you suggested (see third entry in the thread).  However, there was a followup question for a different symbol with dots (see 5th entry in the thread)

• 10. Re: Adjusting starting offset for brush or dashing
                            PrismaLight Level 1

Thank you so much! That will do it, and my apologies for the slight change in topic.

• 11. Re: Adjusting starting offset for brush or dashing
                              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

No need to apologize it was my misunderstanding.

I see it now glad they were able to help I will have to look at what 

they did for my own reference.

• 12. Re: Adjusting starting offset for brush or dashing
                                PrismaLight Level 1

This method definitely works, but to clarify, for the particular line I'm trying to make, the spacing appears to be: for the line 0, 12, 12, 4, and for the dots 0, 4, 0, 4, 0, 20. Thanks again!

dot-dash.jpg

• 13. Re: Adjusting starting offset for brush or dashing
                                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

rodaki you should know one thing about the forum the users are not really supposed to solve the problem for you but to give you the guidance and perhaps suggest techniques that might apply to you query the actual settings depends entirely up to you to figure  out.

For instance if someone ask how do I make a circle, the answer given is you drag the ellipse tool and hold the shift key at the same time and they show you a screen shot of say a 6 cm circle and you say that's great but I want a 3 cm circle. Well somewhere along the line it is up to you.

It is good to know that you were able to use the posters technique but they did answer your question as seen above three dots one dash.

That should be marked answer.