5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2009 11:11 AM by D_Friedman

Need dictionary help

bethieskulls1
      I have added a misspelled word to the Dreamweaver dictionary and need to remove it. Where can I find the dictionary, what is it named?

I am using Dreamweaver 8 on Windows Vista.

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Need dictionary help
          Level 7
          from a search on google groups--

The solution for Dreamweaver 8.0:  I accidentally entered a word with a typo
          in
          it into the personal dictionary.  I found the dictionary file at
          C:\Documents
          and Settings\<user name>\Application
           Data\Macromedia\Common\personal dictionaryMX.tlx;

[adjust this page since you are on Vista]

from further in the thread===

It's an ordinary text file, and is easily
          editable. What probably confused you is that everything appeared on one
          line in Notepad. If you open the tlx file in a more sophisticated text
          editor, such as EditPlus, each entry is on a separate line, which
          terminates with "i". Just remove the offending word and the following
          "i", and save the file. The words, by the way, are always listed
          alphabetically.

--
          Alan
          Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 2. Re: Need dictionary help
            bethieskulls1 Level 1
            Thanks, but this info didn't help. I made certain that I was allowing all files hidden by my system and did a search for the file name you provided. Nothing showed up so I searched on *.tlx and the only files that came up in the search were two files used by QuickBooks.

I adjusted the file string for Vista, as noted, and still wasn't able to find any files for the Dreamweaver8 dictionary. I even did a search on *.txt with no luck.

Am I missing something?
            • 3. Re: Need dictionary help
              Tom Benjamin Level 1
              I needed to do the same for Dreamweaver CS3 and the personal dictionary is in the same place, except for being under Adobe rather than Macromedia: C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\Adobe\Common\Personal Dictionary MX.tlx
              • 4. Re: Need dictionary help
                bethieskulls1 Level 1
                Hi Tom and thanks for the help ... but still nothing.

Seriously, I have searched my entire system, even the hidden files, and the ONLY file I have with the extension of .tlx is a file used by QuickBooks 2007. I don't get it ...
                • 5. Re: Need dictionary help
                  D_Friedman
                  For Adobe Dreamweaver CS3 on VISTA I found the user dictionary located at:
                  C:/Documents and Settings/username/Application Data/Adobe/Common/Personal Dictionary MX.tlx

You can edit the dictionary with some text editors like Kedit, but it can be awkward. By the time I found my dictionary I had accidentally included enough misspelled words that I decided just to replace it with an empty file (one blank line) and start over.

Daniel Friedman