7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2009 12:38 AM by Adolfo Rozenfeld

AE7 quitting

Jim Howells

I'm still on AE7 on Mac OX 10.5.7.  I've been using AE7 on 10.5 for a little while now without a lot of problems but this current project is causing me headaches.  In the middle of renders AE just quits.  no system error message etc. it just quits.  I haven't changed my set up (system update0 in a while I think)

I've tried the usual trick where I render out a common background and and reimport that movie.

I thinking it has to do with cacheing but I'm sure I've rendered more intense projects without a problem.  Currently I've set the limits fairly low ( max mem usage 25% = 763 & max ram size 15%= 458 )

I seem to remember that ae7 doesn't like 10.5 with a lot of ram (4GB.) 

I'm going to try increasing them, but I think that that's it.  the ram usage in the render queue never goes very high.

The only thing I can think of Is to try and render out individual elements to see if it's a specific layer giving problems.  Also since this is a 2d graphic should I use the standard 3d renderer? 

Anything else I could be missing?

• 1. Re: AE7 quitting
          yenaphe Level 4

Hum... what is the height and width of your composition and your biggest element ? Because working with too big elements can cause cache error and failed renders. Have you tried to render with the secret menu options ?

Last but not least, is AE crashing at the same frame each time ?

• 2. Re: AE7 quitting
            Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

What machine are you using? As you surely know, After Effects 7 is engineered for the Power PC (G4, G5, etc) architecture. If you use it on an Intel-based Mac (Mac Pro, Macbook/Macbook Pro, etc) it will run under Rosetta emulation and memory usage will be incredibly high (and rendering very, very slow). So, unless you're using a PowerPC-based machine, this is not surprising at all.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: machine type
              Jim Howells Level 1

It's a 17 inch Intel MacBook Pro. I realize it runs under emulation.  but it's what I have and and and for the last 6 months (with this particular MBP) it has worked well enough.  I've had another intel MBP in the past running mostly the same set up with no crashing problems.  It's one of the reasons I haven't upgraded yet.

As for the other suggestions

It crashes in different places and the comp size while unusual for most (2928 x 48 stadium ribbon board)  is a comp size I've been using for the last 3 years without issue.

I'm thinking that it might have to do with importing a project from digital juice's motion designer's tool kit at the begining.

I'm going to start over from scratch with a new project and quickly rebuild the comps and project without the DJ project stuff.

Thanks guys for answering.

• 4. Re: machine type

Jim:

Just as a reference, it has been estimated that for most applications, Rosetta emulation takes twice as much memory as the same application running natively. If you consider that large frames requires a ton of memory, then again, it's no mystery why the app vanishes

Also, consider that Tiger and the current version of Quicktime didn't exist at all when the application was created, so all these things can each add a layer of instability.

• 5. Re: machine type
                  Jim Howells Level 1

Oh I realize all of that.  I'm not complaining.  I'm just trying to troubleshoot.  And was looking for suggestions on what to try.

• 6. Re: AE7 quitting
                    Jim Howells Level 1

Well I tried a few things and nothing worked so I upgraded.  I knew that  sooner or later I'd have to upgrade. 

I realize that answer isn't helpful to anybody but me. 

I thought if anybody does a search  and this comes up, I might at least put down how I resolved the issue. 

• 7. Re: AE7 quitting

Jim:

I think upgrading to a version that supports Intel processors natively is what makes sense, also from the point of view of the investment you made in hardware. Hopefully, you also like the new features added since AE 7