22 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2009 6:26 PM by the_wine_snob

Importing MPEG files - doesnt work anymore

mcnutty94 Level 1

In Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 I can no longer import MPEG files that I used to be able to import and edit easily. I have at least 10 hours of video in that format that I need to edit, which worked fine in the last premiere pro (cs3) so why is it now shown as unsupported or damaged????

If anything I think I have downgraded when i moved to CS4. The video files are from my AVCHD camera, and have to be imported through Corel VideoStudio and the only export option is MPG.

I really dont have the time to convert these 10 - 20GB files to files that can be read.

Thanks to anyone who could help explain why this isn't working and how I may be able to workaround this obstacle...

Ben

• 1. Re: Importing MPEG files - doesnt work anymore
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Ben,

Did you by chance uninstall CS3, after you installed CS4. Doing this can break some things in CS4. A Repair Install will usually fix this.

It also sounds like you might be missing some of the MainConcept (or similar) CODEC's. These could be broken or have had their priority changed by other software.

What version of CS4 are you using? If you do not have CS4.1, upgrading might well fix all problems.

Someone else will stop by with more questions and probably a direct fix for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Importing MPEG files - doesnt work anymore
            mcnutty94 Level 1

I havent uninstalled CS3, and I can't get into CS3, when the loading screen comes up it gets to SolidComposite.AEX, shows Premiere Pro for a second a disappeared, otherwise I would just use CS3 with the camera footage (by the way this started happening before i upgraded), i am currently running Premiere Pro 4.0.0 and tried to update, but it said no updates available...

How could I fix the CS3 problem of not launching, rather than worrying about CS4 for the video camera????

I tried uninstalling it, but I wont let me for some reason (i am an admin, still doesn't work)....

Thanks

• 3. Re: Importing MPEG files - doesnt work anymore
              anathematized_one Level 1

What version of Windows are you using?

Try this:

Uninstall CS4, then uninstall CS3.

Another option you have is to manually deleting everything CS3/4 from your computer.  If we can't solve this problem any other way, I'll walk you through taking it completely off your system without "uninstalling."

• 4. Re: Importing MPEG files - doesnt work anymore
                mcnutty94 Level 1

I am using Windows Vista Ultimate.

I tried uninstalling CS3 before I put CS4 on, because I thought it would cause problems, but it didn't work then, doesn't work now...

• 5. Re: Importing MPEG files - doesnt work anymore
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

The video files are from my AVCHD camera, and have to be imported through Corel VideoStudio

Why?  That is certainly not the norm.

• 6. Re: Importing MPEG files - doesnt work anymore
                    mcnutty94 Level 1

I import AVCHD files and then export out to MPEG using Corel VideoStudio because it is the only thing that is working for the footage. I tried sony vegas and that kept on freezing, and Premiere Pro CS4 says the file format is not supported. The only export option i have is MPEG, and now that is not importing in Premiere Pro CS4, but it imported perfectly fine in CS3 which is no longer launching (read above post)...

• 7. Re: Importing MPEG files - doesnt work anymore
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Premiere Pro CS4 says the file format is not supported.

Again, certainly not normal.  Are you sure the media is AVCHD?  What model camera?

• 8. Re: Importing MPEG files - doesnt work anymore
                        mcnutty94 Level 1

Definatly AVCHD, it is engraved on the camera...

Camera model: Sony Handycam HDR-SR12

• 9. Re: Importing MPEG files - doesnt work anymore
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

Yeah, that's an AVCHD camera all right.  Other uses report using it without issue.  But if memory serves, isn't there some Sony software, Clip Browser, to be used with that?  It's my understanding that with solid state media - DVCPRO HD, AVCHD, XDCAM EX - you need to keep the full folder structure intact for editing.  You work with the whole folder, not individual files.

• 10. Re: Importing MPEG files - doesnt work anymore
                            mcnutty94 Level 1

Yeah, i use a sony tool called Picture Motion Browser, which takes all the footage off the camera and puts it on a folder on my hard drive in .modd format, i then import all of that into Corel VideoStudio, export that to MPEG, import the MPEG into PremierePro, and start editing...

• 11. Re: Importing MPEG files - doesnt work anymore
                              Powered by Design Level 4

I think i read about some versions converting back to a trial version some how.

The trial versions dont allow AVCHD or MPEG I think.

Harm posted something about that somewhere.

I think he said you had to use the clean script to get it clean then re-install.

Here is a link for the clean script.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/406/kb406241.html

Hope this helps:  Glenn

• 12. Re: Importing MPEG files - doesnt work anymore
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Glenn is correct. I posted it before, but will repeat it.

Many have experienced problems in the sense that after updating, their full version reverts to trial status. Often this is caused by either a faulty installation previously or having used at one time the trial version. The best solution, cumbersome and time consuming, is to uninstall, run the CleanScript 2 or 3 times and reinstall and then apply the updates again.

• 13. Re: Importing MPEG files - doesnt work anymore
                                  mcnutty94 Level 1

Well I can now import the AVCHD files that the camera has taken, but when trying to play what I have edited, it is extreamly slow & choppy (previewing it in the program), i have set the quality to Draft Quality, anything else that could make it play properly? The old MPEG files played fine in the program when previewing.

Thanks

• 14. Re: Importing MPEG files - doesnt work anymore
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Great. It saves you the time and effort to reinstall.

Extremely slow and choppy can be caused by the hardware. AVCHD is extremely demanding in terms of CPU power. Practically an i7 is a minimum requirement. Can you tell us your hardware configuration?

• 15. Re: Importing MPEG files - doesnt work anymore
                                      mcnutty94 Level 1

Yeah sure,

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit, Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 3.00GHz, 3GB of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT, I have a 500gb internal HD, but am using two 1TB external hard drives.

- If you need to know any thing else just let me know.

• 16. Re: Importing MPEG files - doesnt work anymore
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

A couple of questions, please:

How are your HDD's allocated? What are the connections for the externals? How much free space on the internal?

The playback is most likely an I/O sub-system issue, as Harm has said. I'd wager that with 2 additional, large, fast internals, you'd be editing smoothly, provided they were SATA II and at least 7200RPM.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Importing MPEG files - doesnt work anymore
                                          mcnutty94 Level 1

The external HD's are connected by USB, my internal HD and one of the external HD's are pretty much full. I am considering moving most of the stuff off the internal onto the external, but the copy speeds on Vista are sooo slow. It took half an hour to copy 10GB, when on windows xp it took no more than 5 -10 mins...

• 18. Re: Importing MPEG files - doesnt work anymore
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

The main slowdown is with the USB connection.

I am surprised that you can get any editing done to/from the USB's. I tried that years ago with SC material and gave up after about a day. Pretty much the same with FW-400. It was not until FW-800, that I could edit even SD material.

After you do clean up the internal HDD, look into two big fast internals (you've got SATA II, right?) and you will think that it's the best $ you've ever spent. Harm also has a good article on how best to allocate 2 - 3 (or more) internal HDD's for NLE work. It is well worth the read.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: Importing MPEG files - doesnt work anymore
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

If you have not seen it, here is Harm's ARTICLE.

Good piece and well worth the read,

Hunt

• 20. Re: Importing MPEG files - doesnt work anymore
                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

For DV or HDV this would have been a good system. For AVCHD editing it just is too slow. Sorry if this sounds condescending, but the specs are not enough for comfortable editing this kind of material, it gets choked. There are a couple of reasons, one is the CPU which is only a dual core, second is only 3 GB of RAM, third is Vista Ultimate (not that Vista is the wrong choice, but the Ultimate version carries even more overhead than other Vista versions), and last because of your disk setup. The accumulation of these factors make your system too slow for AVCHD editing, hence the slow & choppy response you get.

Not to put blame on you, but rather on manufacturers and magazines, that rave about AVCHD, but most of the time they forget to mention in their sloppy reviews, that editing AVCHD is VERY demanding. Now you are faced with a difficult decision. Either upgrade your PC or get a HDV camera or live with the slowness and jerkiness.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that is the reality. As they often say, sh*t happens. If you want to have a look at possible steps you can take to improve your situation, have a look at these guides. Maybe optimizing Vista and your storage can help alleviate the pain somewhat and if that is not enough the PC guide may show you some hardware alternatives. I know that very recently Charles built a new system under $ 1K that easily handles AVCHD.

How to get the best from a PC? Some guides...

• 21. Re: Importing MPEG files - doesnt work anymore
                                                  mcnutty94 Level 1

Yeah, I'll have to stick with what I have and deal with the choppy footage.

Thanks everyone for their assistance and help with this issue.

• 22. Re: Importing MPEG files - doesnt work anymore
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

I could not agree more. I see many more cases of people trying to edit AVCHD on PrElements with equipment that would barely handle SD material. They talked to the "Geek Squad," or similar and were told that an entry-level (basically an e-machine) computer could handle it well, plus they could be doing messaging and composing a letter, at the same time. Next you know, they fault PrE and curse it for being so slow.

At least here, most people have decent machines, and understand the need for basic power for doing NLE work. Still, some are fooled that their machine can handle the tastk, because it's new.

I think that I have linked to at least one of your articles every hour today. Another big thanks for taking that time.

Hunt