4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2009 5:37 PM by Chunick

Cross platform font mapping or embedding or?

Professor S.

I apologize for my inability to research and answer these questions myself. Although I am a college professor first (not a developer), I have been generally able to figure out how to fix my application problems myself, when historically working in Windows. And sorry for the intro here, but have I missed a general FAQ someplace on common problems encountered when porting a Windows app to the Mac or vice versa?  I would think everyone would initially hit the wall with differences in paths, printing, packaging your files for distribution, sounds, and fonts - and so here's my font problem. I researched the documentation and it says that embedding a font will work when the required font is not on the target computer and across platforms.  I tried embedding Arial with no restrictions and I still have this problem:

My educational app has some checklists with text members in Arial 10 (on the left side of the screen) and some checkboxes that I used to create options for yes/no answers (to the right of the text). In Windows, the yes/no labeled checkboxes line up nicely next to the questions in my text box. But, in the Mac projector the font which looks similar to Arial is smaller and so the text member which covered a page on the screen on Windows is only covering say 2/3 - 3/4 of the page in the Mac projector - and the yes/no's are not lining up properly (they are way below the related text).  I also read that you can map Arial => to Helvetica on the Mac and even tell it to take a 10 and make it an 11 or 12, which is what I think I want to do.  I saved the font map to a file called Fontmap.txt and included it in the folder of my Mac projector, but it did not work.  The documentation says I can load the map and that it will work on a new file, but I just want something to work cross platform. I am stumped again and can not get either of these two methods described in the documentation to work.  If you can tell me what I doing wrong or have a better method, I could sure use the help - thanks!

• 1. Re: Cross platform font mapping or embedding or?
          Chunick Level 3

you should be able to embed Arial on the PC side and then set your text/field members to Arial * (the asterisk is important as that's what the embedding process uses to give the font a 'unique' name)... You will see the embedded font in the list of fonts in the Text Inspector when setting the font for your text/field member... someone once suggested changing the 'unique' name in the embedding dialog that comes up so the asterisk (*) is the first character of the name, that way it always shows up first in the font list.

• 2. Re: Cross platform font mapping or embedding or?
            Professor S. Level 1

set your text/field members to Arial *

Thanks, setting the text member to Arial* is something I needed to do, but even after selecting the embedded font it is still too small when going to the Mac.  Somehow I need to increase the font size when publishing the Win app to the Mac. For whatever reason, Win Arial 10 looks larger on the screen than when it gets embedded and displayed on the Mac. My movies also have a hundred or so text fields in each so having to select a new font like Arial* is a lot of work.  Can you please tell me how to automatically increase the size of the font from say 10 =>11 or 12 when going from Win to Mac without hours of work.  I could see when I manually increased the Arial* 10 in Windows to Arial* 11 in the Mac that the font was almost big enough to fix my problem.  How do I increase the font size when publishing from Win to Mac without having to do it manually?

• 3. Re: Cross platform font mapping or embedding or?
              Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

You could create a movie script that does this for you when your movie runs:

on prepareMovie
                -- cache propList for faster lookup
                sepl = _system.environmentPropList
                -- are we running as a projector
                if offset("Projector", sepl.runMode) then
                  -- and on a Mac
                  if offset("Mac", sepl.platform) then
                    -- how many castlibs are there
                    nLibs = _movie.castLib.count
                    -- walk them all individually
                    repeat with l = 1 to nLibs
                      -- how many members in this castLib
                      nMembers = castLib(l).member.count
                      -- walk them all individually
                      repeat with m = 1 to nMembers
                        -- create/cache member reference
                        tMember = member(m, l)
                        -- is this member of type #text
                        if tMember.type = #text then
                          -- set font/size - you might want to do this conditionally
                          tMember.font = "Arial *"
                          tMember.fontSize = 11
                        end if
                      end repeat
                    end repeat
                  end if
                end if
              end

• 4. Re: Cross platform font mapping or embedding or?
                Chunick Level 3

Professor S. wrote:

set your text/field members to Arial *

Thanks, setting the text member to Arial* is something I needed to do, but even after selecting the embedded font it is still too small when going to the Mac.  Somehow I need to increase the font size when publishing the Win app to the Mac. For whatever reason, Win Arial 10 looks larger on the screen than when it gets embedded and displayed on the Mac. My movies also have a hundred or so text fields in each so having to select a new font like Arial* is a lot of work.  Can you please tell me how to automatically increase the size of the font from say 10 =>11 or 12 when going from Win to Mac without hours of work.  I could see when I manually increased the Arial* 10 in Windows to Arial* 11 in the Mac that the font was almost big enough to fix my problem.  How do I increase the font size when publishing from Win to Mac without having to do it manually?

That's because the monitor resolution on a mac is 96dpi vs. a PC's 72dpi... of course, the last time I worked on a mac for anything important it was OS 9, so I don't know if that's still true, but it would explain what you're seeing.